mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam that is a cool picture
Old 06-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 83 Posts

Very cool! I have been keeping my eye out for 997 Turbo but haven't seen one yet in my price range. Would love power and awd for hillclimbs.

I'm building my Cayman S into FP car.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The plan is to start running some track events in the fall, after we get done with the SCCA Solo II and ProSolo national championships in September. Until then we are trying to get as much autox seat time as we can. In my class (SSP) I am one of 3-4 guys that could win the year end pro solo class championship, if I can win the finale event.

I have started working on the brake cooling updates for track work - we already have PFC and Ferodo race pads. Just got done installing GT2 front fender liners and brake scoops. In the wheel well itself the fitment works perfectly.

I decided to make some quick screens too for this.

They do not fit well toward the leading edge of the bumper, there is a gap that I had to make some cover panels for.

Next will add gt2/3rs rear brake scoops to the rear control arms.

I did just finish some mesh screens for the bumper grilles.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 AM
motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Screen looks great
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Sprockett
Advanced

Hi Stan, you mention in another thread that you are running a fair amount of toe in for the rear and had on the Cayman too. Did you ever try less or even zero on the Turbo? Given the limited changes I can make, I'm thinking of using toe to free things up back there but given how difficult it is the change I'm worried about messing with it at the end of Sept.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM
XPC5
Racer

Originally Posted by Sprockett
Hi Stan, you mention in another thread that you are running a fair amount of toe in for the rear and had on the Cayman too. Did you ever try less or even zero on the Turbo? Given the limited changes I can make, I'm thinking of using toe to free things up back there but given how difficult it is the change I'm worried about messing with it at the end of Sept.
I could see setting rear toe in the 1/8" to 1/4" range (toe-in) as that would still be good in transitions etc. An easier thing to try (and reverse) is front toe - you could go up to 1/2" out, to help reduce push. Then easily back it out in a few minutes. 1/2 turn on the front tie rod is approx 1/8" of toe. So you could be set at zero, and then add 1/2 to a full turn on each side at Lincoln.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Lookin' good three wheeling!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Sprockett
Advanced

Thanks for the input Stan.

I'm not street driving the car at the moment and towing it to Lincoln so the alignment can be as wild as I want if it will make the car the work better. Your feeling is that too little toe or toe out in the rear will make the car diabolical in transitions?

I remember running insane 1/2" toe out in the rear of ES MR2s to get them to work with the massive front bar. Of course, they had 1/4 the power we are dealing with here.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 AM
XPC5
Racer

Wrapping up preparations for the Pro SOlo Finale and Solo Nationals in Lincoln Nebraska starting this weekend. The last few races have been a blur, as we struggled porpoising on the rougher courses like Mineral Wells
And then with oversteer after the last round of shock revalving.
After trying more spring and swaybar changes, and not making any forward progress, we decided just before nationals to go with the 100% solution - bigger 345 rear tires. A short test at college station showed the results we wanted, so we are ready to attack in Lincoln now.

Stocked up on E85, with a fresh corner balance and ECU tune touch up at Cobb. Also took care of some of the weathered decals and a fresh clean and polish.

We race at the Pro Solo Finale on Saturday and Sunday, and I have a mathematical chance, in my class, SSP, to take the year end points if I can win this last event. There are a few corvettes and Porsche's and Lotus's who will be working hard to prevent that. It should be quite the showdown!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:53 AM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck Stan! Will try to tune in.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 PM
XPC5
Racer

Pro Solo Finale wrap up

Finally decompressed from the Pro Finale and Solo Nats trip. This year had more weather influence (rain) than any other I can remember, and also more cones hit for me and Su than any other year I remember.

We brought a new setup to the finale, our 2nd try at running 345's on the car to try to hookup better and increase mid corner Gs. We tested this briefly at A&M, but had limited runs to try to preserve the rear tires, as they would have to last through the Pro and Solo II with both drivers - more on this later.
We did some Friday practice starts to fine tune the boost off the line settings (4300 4psi now), and practiced clutch modulation techniques to control wheelspin or bog. This is key for us, as we run 4 runs back to back, and the cold tire launch always spins, 2 & 3 are solid, and 4 sometimes bogs as the motor and intercoolers heat soaks.

At the start of the Pro Finale, the car was balanced quite well, it responded well to shock setting changes, and felt on pace. I was able to get into the low 40's on the left with a bogged launch, and the top cars were in the 39's. My wife Su was also able to stay in the top 4 for the whole event.

Lots of strong competition, well prepped corvettes, a V10 R8 and an GT3RS and supercharged Lotus Elise.

The event had some operational delays, so the afternoon runs were pushed late. By the time Su ran, it had just showered heavily. So no chance for time improvement, but a good chance to test the awd in a damp setting. She tested the various modes, Sport, PSM on and off, and felt good about the car.

On Sunday morning, conditions were good, Su drove well, made some improvements, and finished 4th in her class, and also in the year end points.
I kept over driving the early sweepers by braking too late and pushing or spinning. The others in class executed much better, so deserved to finish above me (I was 7th). A bit dissapointed overall, but the car ran flawlessly, with no breakage. We are now up to over 250 launches!

Lots of Porsche representation at this race, GT3s, GT4s a plenty. I think over ten were registered in the street tire classes.

So done now for the Pro Solo, we do not run until Thursday/Friday, so lots of time to mingle with the other 1300 enthusiasts there. Lots of watching the other races, checking out the cars, cleaning up and prepping our car.
The crew from Austin arrived Sunday evening and began setting up their biergarten - they know how to bring the Texan hospitality!

Solo Nationals update to follow.....
Old 09-26-2016, 07:36 PM
XPC5
Racer

Solo Nationals for SSP ran on Thursday and Friday. So we spent Mon and Tues studying both courses, watching the other classes run, trying to spot any gotcha's. East side course course was very transitional, with a tough, slow haripin showcase turn in front of the bleachers, and a painfully awkawrd double 90, downhill off camber start sequence. Even though the car was handling great, those 2 elements messed with my head all day. The start sequence was too slow for any aggression in 2nd gear, but above my 1st gear rev range. The hairpin also was too easy to blow out at the exit, which I did on my best scratch time. We were off the pace of the leaders by quite a bit, which I think from the data shows a lot of underdriving the opening offsets and the slalom, and losing time between corner entry and exit. At least the handling balance and power felt good.

The West course was a series of medium speed sweepers, one long slalom, and a fast sweeping finish. It was more fun to drive than I expected, and I am glad we did not loosen the rear of the car, as it was very easy to rotate and point. 1st run was decent, cold tires and just a bit skittish in the back.

I adjusted the shocks for the later runs, adding some front rebound and softening rear compression, which dialed in a very slight push, combined with being a little deep on some of the corner entries, hurt my times. The finish was a hoot, trying to grab third gear, and control the wheelspin. Were in the 80s on my fastest finishes.

The whole session was under a threatening rain front that we could see advancing, and it caught my wife Su on her last running. Sitting at the start line, when the wind kicked up and the rain came pelting down. She stayed in the car, and I got completely soaked as the wave of rain came through. Too late for the rain tires we had stacked in our grid spot.

Overall nationals left a mixed feeling. It was great to have resolved some of the handling and mechanical bugs, the last shock revalve is 85% of the way to excellent. Intercooler connections stayed connected, clutch and drivetrain held up great. The 345 rears made the car feel more planted and confident, but the weight and gearing hit may have slowed us down a bit. Acceleration G on the data was not super impressive. We also could see we were not trusting the car and chassis, to commit to the corner exits after turn in. Some lost tenths spent waiting to see how the chassis set after turn in, before getting throttle on. Will be spending more seat time working on that for now. Some great photos from Perry Bennett to help fuel the off season planning .

Old 09-29-2016, 07:36 PM
modernbeat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like front camber was just about perfect.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 PM
gnoy26
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful ride!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice to see you at the Ft Myers Pro Solo this past weekend. Car was a rocket!

Quick Reply: Someone had to try this! 997TT build