Notices

RS3 version 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got demolished by cars on the RE-71R yesterday. I'm on the RS3v2.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exchange rate has some part in the price of that 285 30 18. What are they charging for the 275 35 18 in Japan compared to Tire Rack on that tire. Tire Rack has that tire for $277. I would think that the 285 would be around $300
Old 04-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
Kumho isn't coming anywhere near usable sizes for us.

RSV2 is pretty much it - the new RE71 and Rival S are both wrong sized for our cars.
They made the XS in Corvette sizing, which is close to what out tire sizes are ...
Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
mopar bob
Pro

With your 06 C2S you my want to run 305 30 19 rear and 245 in the front. I'm running the 18's with 265 rear and think that its to small. I'm going back to the 19's when something comes out. The RS3v2 is on back order and the RE71r is not out.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I got demolished by cars on the RE-71R yesterday. I'm on the RS3v2.
RE71R have taken top pax at all 3 of my local events this year, if I recall. I can't speak for the v2, but I've had two of my best finishes ever on ZII* despite a few of my competition on RE-71R, so if the ZII* is off, it's not by much. We've got an HS FiestaST on RE71R came out of friggen nowhere to dominate our points.

This is on old rough concrete with 50-70s weather.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
We've got an HS FiestaST on RE71R came out of friggen nowhere to dominate our points.
The Fiesta ST has a great PAX that's really magnified even more on small local lots. Small footprint + torque down low makes it a tiny lot dream. On nationals style courses where it'll run out of 2nd gear and struggle to sweeper at speed it'll come back down to reality.

That's why you can't take much stock in indexes.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM
cretinx
Racer

Yeah stuffing the FiST into HS, with that PAX (0.796!!!?) . . . . . wtf . . . . . that little car ****ing crushed it at our opening event.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn it, my brother just bought a Fiesta ST.

He's gonna be on the stock BS RE050As during our first autocross of the season.

Good thing I didn't sell him the ZIIs from my MINI ...
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by burglar
The Fiesta ST has a great PAX that's really magnified even more on small local lots. Small footprint + torque down low makes it a tiny lot dream. On nationals style courses where it'll run out of 2nd gear and struggle to sweeper at speed it'll come back down to reality.

That's why you can't take much stock in indexes.
There are of significant dependencies and trying to set a single index for all sites, courses and conditions is impossible- instead of getting an index that works well everywhere, you can an index that works well nowhere. I feel really strongly we need a much more complex index system. If that FiST is the best car with the best driver, it should do equally well index-wise on a national course as a postage stamp. If competing on index is the reality of regional competition, it makes sense to go all-out: more complex indexing covering the most statistically significant dependancies, and more classes so that cars with different dependencies can be indexed differently. Different class & index for AWD DS boost buggies than FWD DS hot hatches, etc. It's easy to handle complex indexes in computer-based T&S systems, it just needs to be programmed.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

I feel really strongly we need a much more complex index system.
No, no, no, no, nein. Simplify and add lightness. Hell, eliminate PAX completely. Run in your class. For local driver's championships only count raw times.

Here's another example why I think PAX is dumb:

Let Greg Reno take a run in his HS Mini. Then you jump in his car and take a couple runs, how close do you think you'd be to him? Yeah, he'd be faster, but you have enough AX experience you'd float ok. Maybe within 3-5% of him? Still a big gap, but we're talking about the single best in the country who has experience with the car.

Now do the same thing in Kiesel's Sprite. Or Wasdahl's AM car. Or a KM. Way, WAY harder to extract the full potential out of those things - you'd be lucky to be within 10-15% of them if you had all day to take 50 runs.

You're the same driver, on the same course, but would PAX way differently. So what are you measuring with PAX results after all? It's a nice fun comparison tool, but it's only slightly more than meaningless.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM
cretinx
Racer

PAX is useful for local events where you don't get enough competitors - so we index EVERYONE in Street, everyone in Touring, everyone in Prepared, everyone in Street Modified, everyone in Modified, everyone in CAM etc etc etc

Still wind up with the STF and HS cars on top but, whatever.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
majormojo
Advanced

PAX is useful for local events where you don't get enough competitors - so we index EVERYONE in Street, everyone in Touring, everyone in Prepared, everyone in Street Modified, everyone in Modified, everyone in CAM etc etc etc
We do the same both locally and regionally (western Canada). Our events are quite small by most standards (40-60 ppl on avg) and without grouping into superclasses we simply wouldn't have any useful competition.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by burglar
No, no, no, no, nein. Simplify and add lightness. Hell, eliminate PAX completely. Run in your class. For local driver's championships only count raw times.

Here's another example why I think PAX is dumb:

Let Greg Reno take a run in his HS Mini. Then you jump in his car and take a couple runs, how close do you think you'd be to him? Yeah, he'd be faster, but you have enough AX experience you'd float ok. Maybe within 3-5% of him? Still a big gap, but we're talking about the single best in the country who has experience with the car.

Now do the same thing in Kiesel's Sprite. Or Wasdahl's AM car. Or a KM. Way, WAY harder to extract the full potential out of those things - you'd be lucky to be within 10-15% of them if you had all day to take 50 runs.

You're the same driver, on the same course, but would PAX way differently. So what are you measuring with PAX results after all? It's a nice fun comparison tool, but it's only slightly more than meaningless.
If I could convince everyone in my region to buy a 2010 Boxster S, that'd be great. Until then, I guess I'll have to be content taking 1st (of 1) in SS every event this year. Hooray for me.

Nationals is the ONLY autocross in the US that actually has enough participants to run every class by class without it being a joke. For all else, index is the way, index is competition, embrace the index, improve it, live it, make it better! People hate indexes because everyone can tell from event-to-event how wildly indexed results differ and how inaccurate they so often are. If the indexes were better, we'd see much less hate and much more acceptance. I have a dream, a dream where every car has an accurate index for every event and Kiesel could trade cars with Reno on any day and any course and they'd come up with the exact same indexed results.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

I have a dream, a dream where every car has an accurate index for every event and Kiesel could trade cars with Reno on any day and any course and they'd come up with the exact same indexed results.
that's awesome. I hope one day your vision becomes reality.

In the meantime, if you want to do well on PAX, game the system. If you're on tiny lots like pretty much everyone is, Ford is running 0% for 60mo on Fiesta STs.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Nah, while I wish it were classed better, I'm happy driving my Boxster S even if it's not a pax overdog. Just makes it more of a challenge to do well. I was 4 tenths off top index this last event and I coned away 1st place index the event before that, so I know I can do it, I just need to drive better and more consistantly. I don't want a gimme, I want to believe that when I win it's because I was the best driver at the event.

Just frustrating when I get whomped because the index sucks for concrete, where all my local events are. The only reason pax is reasonable for our events this year is that Rick Ruth wasn't expecting the new crop of street tires to be so damned fast.

Last edited by sjfehr; 04-24-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: RS3 version 2