Notices

Strange Autocross Incidents???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange Autocross Incidents???

Anyone have any stories of strange autocross incidents?

Here's one that happened at the local SCCA autocross last year:

A Subaru WRX was out on course when a front rim separated at the hub. Basically, the outer rim/tire separated from the inner part that's bolted to the suspension. The rim/tire when sailing off course, hit a curb, went almost straight up in the air, and then landed in a tree and got stuck there(!!!).

No one was hurt. The WRX had damage to its suspension and front bumper, which was dragging on the ground.

It turns out the broken rim had suffered corrosion, leading to its failure. The driver contacted the manufacturer about the incident and, surprisingly, they coughed up new rims and paid for all the damage to the car. The tech people now specifically look for this brand of rim when inspecting to check for problems. The brand was Rota.

Drew
92 C2
Old 08-16-2003, 09:14 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving at one of our PCA region's autocrosses when a strange thing happened. As I was coming out of a tight hairpin a car drove straight in front of me from the left! I cranked the wheel right, drove through a bunch of cones and parked it.

An old man drove his car through the rear entrance to the parking lot, drove THROUGH our safety cones, THROUGH the yellow tape, PAST arm waving safety workers and spectators and right in front of me. I damn near T-boned the guy.

When you're autocrossing you're absolutely focused on the next gate/slalom (or you had better be if you want a decent time!) - you're not on the lookout for road hazards. I guess we were both lucky that time.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SCCA event was at, somebody showed up in a much-modified 914. Nobody was able to figure out how, but on one of his runs he rolled the car! Didn't hit a pothole or anything, just somehow the car ended up on its roof! So a bunch of workers went out and rolled the car back over onto its wheels. Unfortunately, they rolled it back over the GOOD, UNDAMAGED side, so that both sides of the car now needed body work.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The loose wheel incident that led off reminded me of a similar incident. The Virginia Tech SAE car (a 600cc go kart on steroids) was on course and lost a rear wheel (axle snapped) which bounded across the course, up a steep bank, across the street, and bounced onto the hood of a car in the parking lot. When the SAE car shows up, their 5 drivers usually take the fastest five times.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:08 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This one time, at band camp...
Old 08-25-2003, 09:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jim Michaels
The loose wheel incident that led off reminded me of a similar incident. The Virginia Tech SAE car (a 600cc go kart on steroids) was on course and lost a rear wheel (axle snapped) which bounded across the course, up a steep bank, across the street, and bounced onto the hood of a car in the parking lot. When the SAE car shows up, their 5 drivers usually take the fastest five times.
I'll be involved in Rutgers Univ SAE this coming school year, should be a blast!

Quick Reply: Strange Autocross Incidents???