Notices

First Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More lessons learned today. First, you have way more traction in the wet than you would think. Second, six runs goes by really fast and you need to be driving hard much earlier. By my sixth run I was starting to really pick up the pace, but of course it was a little late by then.

Don't know what my times are yet, but regardless ,I enjoyed it much more and felt much better about it. I was still way too slow, but I just felt better about my driving.

My hands still need some improvement, but it felt much better than last time. Thanks again for all the previous comments and suggestions, it all helps.

This was my fifth run. I forgot to record the sixth one which felt much faster, but we know that goes.

This was my first run, which was slow and wet.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd like to see you put a little more sense of urgency into your inputs.

This is an onboard with Matthew Braun, one of the finest autocrossers I've ever seen drive. Notice his inputs are very firm but measured.

And here is yours truly. I'm messy and correct more, but I attack the hell out of the course.

The goal to aim for is to be at 102%. Just pushing that ragged edge. That said, it's much easier to work up to there from 80% than it is to work down from 110%. You are on the right track. Push the car more in the fast spots, and stay about where you are in the slow spots. You'll gain confidence in both the car in your abilities, and be able to "feel" where that 102% is.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I can definitely see the difference. I'm aware that I need to push it quite a bit more. On the last run I knocked 2 seconds off my time and started to feel more confident and knew there was still quite a bit of time that I could pick up. Of course it was my last run and there was no more opportunities to shave off some more time. I need to get more of a sense of urgency on the early runs, so I can get top that point and still have runs left to do something about it.

I finished in the middle of the pack, but that didn't really matter, as I felt better about my driving and knew I could do better. I definitely need to find that 102%. Even though it was wet and raining, I really enjoyed it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
msterling
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is much more exciting at 102%. You need to get there and experience it in all of the aspects of running the course. Braking, turning, accelerating, transitioning etc. Definitely not all aspects on all runs. Maybe work on one thing at a time and test the limits. Autocross is a blast when you know you are tiptoeing at the limits (99%). Turn off all the traction/stability control stuff and spin that thing! Then back off a wee bit. Only the tires will suffer.

Last edited by msterling; 04-16-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: First Autocross