Notices

Rear swaybar in stock class

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rear swaybar in stock class

Despite the conventional wisdom, I installed a gmg rear swaybar on the 996 and set it one off full stiff. Running front konis full stiff and softening the rears to keep the car neutral (about 3/4 turn off full stiff) I got very good turn in but excellent overall grip. Car was very loose when trailing brakes or trailing throttle but planted very well on throttle application. I was able to finish 1st PAX if 108 today and there was still time left in the car. It was a missile!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM
ryebread
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you. Sometimes you need to say "screw conventional wisdom" and experiment.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Official results released today. I won PAX by 1.4 seconds! Still feeling great about it. Just might have to go to nationals now
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

An update on this- although I cannot with certainty contribute the change to a difference in surface or a difference in tire behavior as they wore, but in lincoln at nationals the rear bar at 3/4 stiff was way too loose. We were able to dial out transitional oversteer using rebound damping adjustment and still retain some good turn-in, but mid-corner and corner exit was way too loose. There were a lot of big sweepers on both courses and it was really hard to put the power down. I corded the BFGs I was on, so I am now moving on to a set of hoosier A6 takeoffs (they were free!) in 255 front and 315 rear. I'm skeptical about the rear fitment. We'll see when I try to mount them. After seeing how the tire change affects the car, I intend to soften the rear bar one or two spots to try to get the car more neutral.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Adding more overall grip (A6) will reduce oversteer/increase understeer so yes it will help. Lincoln's surfaces and courses are different that what most run. We always dial-in a bit of understeer locally to get the car to be just right there especially in higher speed transitions.

Larger front bars work well on your car but you have to adjust other things to make it work. The larger rear will have you adjusting those things the opposite direction typically. The other option you will see, though rarely, is using the sway bar rule to reduce one in size such as F Stock with the 5.0 Mustang, they shrink the rear bar rather than increase the front.

Quick Reply: Rear swaybar in stock class