Notices

ZII/Rival/RE11A/AD08A Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It definitely could have contributed; they got extremely hot during the time trial in June. But I don't think it was the sole cause, as I didn't notice any drop-off until late august; even then, it was barely noticible at first, but got progressively worse through events in September. Grip was gone before my first time trial run on Sept 28th. Simply daily driving twice a day to/from work may have contributed, too.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Well, the grip in the rear went off a cliff after the Virginia Autocross Championship, and was even showing some warnings signs then, though at the time we were just happy to finally be able to get some rotation. In the end, I got about 210 runs worth & 7000 street miles from the rears, though grip honestly fell off pretty quickly after about about 170 runs. That was also about the time I started spraying (I hadn't sprayed earlier in the season), but that could be coincidence. Grip was gone about the time they hit the wear bars. For the penultimate two events, they would still give pretty good grip but needed a run to heat up- at the last event (another time trial @ Academi/Blackwater), no amount of heat made any difference at all.
How thin have people taken this tire? Compound (layer) change?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The Star Spec had a harder compound once you got below the wear bars, and was pretty obvious if the light hit it just right. I didn't see anything like that on these ZIIs, but it might just not have been visible. It would be completely consistent with the change in performance, though.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

The Gen 1 Direzza's.

Yup, compound changes.

Yup, this is too thrifty.

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

AD08 also go away at about the rear wear bars. Good for practicing car control but not so good for times

Peter
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add another datum point to this thread, I just replaced my ZIIs last week. I think I had 200 runs on them, give or take plus about 1000 street miles. Time wise, they lasted 9 months (put 'em on in June, mounted new ones in Feb). My fronts looked like sjfehr's above...more or less the same. My rear tires had no tread on them at all, kinda like Matt Lanes image, but without the cords showing through. So the rears on my car are wearing faster during AX events.

I should have replaced them probably 40-50 runs ago...but I wanted a nice new set of tires for the upcoming season. <Shrug> Now I don't seem to recall why it was such a great idea to have no grip the last 3 autocrosses of last season just so I'd have new tires this season.

Just for reference, I've got a 2005 997. Front camber is -1.0 (maxed). I can't remember what rear camber is, nor toe at the moment. I have it at home. I'll edit this post later when I take a look at my notes.

Quick Reply: ZII/Rival/RE11A/AD08A Tire Life