Notices

Porsche Parade 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
jred42
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Parade 2013

Who is going to be competing in the autocross at Porsche Parade this year? If so, what car and what class?

My dad and I will be running his 86 3.2 Carrera in P08. We took 1st and 2nd place with the car at Savannah in 2011. Since we are located in Michigan, this year will be a nice short drive for us. I am looking forward to it.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I wasn't planning on going (already live in Chicago... a trip to Michigan just doesn't excite me) but then I heard that the course is expected to be a 2nd/3rd gear monster.

I might just have to trailer the car up for it. Tough part is that I'm pretty sure you can't just drive up for one day - I'd have to be at registration on Saturday or Sunday to "sign in" (that's the way it was at Parade 2010 when it was in Chicago). If they do it the same way, I'll have to see if there are exceptions that can be made. I'm not driving up on Sat/Sun to run an AX on Weds/Thurs. I don't have the vacation time to burn.

If I can get an exception and decide to cruise up just for the day, I believe I'd be in I04. Will have to re-read the rules to double check though.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
1gplus
AutoX

Hi OmniGLH & jred42,

Glad to see your interest in the Parade autox event.

This year's event will take place at an airport with a ton of space. So unlike the last few year's at parade where the lot size kept speeds lower, we'll be able to up the speeds while still keeping things very safe.

And the airport was recently renovated so the surface is PERFECT! It's billiard table smooth and covered in high-grip asphalt! It's a much nicer surface than most road race tracks I've driven. It's definitely worth the trip!

As far as registration goes, there's a late check-in option available so you don't need to arrive on Saturday and wait until Weds/Thurs to compete. You really just need to be there the day before you run to get setup. I hope you decide to join us.

If you have any autox questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers, Henry
PCA Autocross Chair
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Old Heap
6th Gear

Hi Henry,

Have you figured out which classes will run on which days, yet? I know that depends on the number of cars that show up for each class, but just trying to plan around all the other events.

Also, I believe my 356 fits into the I01 class. Locally, open cars require roll bars in our region(WMR). But the PCR's from 2012 only "permit" a rollbar, they don't seem to be mandatory. Still true?

Chuck
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Could someone describe or post a link to PCA classing? Planning to bring a '96 993 prepared to SCCA BSP-ish rules, running 180TW tires.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
1gplus
AutoX

Originally Posted by Old Heap
Have you figured out which classes will run on which days, yet? I know that depends on the number of cars that show up for each class, but just trying to plan around all the other events.
Chuck
Exactly. It depends on the mix of cars & drivers who register. That being said, over the last 3 years the approx split has been the Showroom stock category running on day 1 and the rest (Production, Improved & Modifed) ran day 2. If you assume this split, you should be close to the final answer.

Originally Posted by Old Heap
Also, I believe my 356 fits into the I01 class. Locally, open cars require roll bars in our region(WMR). But the PCR's from 2012 only "permit" a rollbar, they don't seem to be mandatory. Still true?
Chuck
Correct, roll bars are optional (recommended but not required) for open cars at the autox.

Cheers, Henry
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
1gplus
AutoX

Originally Posted by ToSi
Could someone describe or post a link to PCA classing? Planning to bring a '96 993 prepared to SCCA BSP-ish rules, running 180TW tires.
Depending on your specific BSP-ish modifications, your '96 993 could be in one of three classes: P09; I05 or M05.

To run in P09, you can change: shocks, springs, sway bars, plastic bushings, 1" wider wheels, DOT R tires, seats, exhuast, air filter, etc. Much more than this and you would likely run in I05. Check the rulebook for specific details.

The PCRs (2012 version) is available here: http://parade2012.pca.org/documents/2012_PCRs.pdf

The 2013 version will be posted very soon but there were not a lot of changes.

Chers, Henry
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
jred42
Track Day

Does anyone know who will be providing workers for the event? I am assuming it will be one of the local SCCA regions like it was in Savanna. I'm very active in a couple of the Michigan regions and curious who's going to be doing it.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
1gplus
AutoX

Originally Posted by jred42
Does anyone know who will be providing workers for the event? I am assuming it will be one of the local SCCA regions like it was in Savanna. I'm very active in a couple of the Michigan regions and curious who's going to be doing it.
Hi jred42,

Volunteer workers are always parade entrants. At Savannah, we rented equipment from the local SCCA group but all the workers at the event were PCA members.

At Traverse City this year, we plan to do a similar thing. I hope you can join us.

Cheers,
Henry
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I am planning on attending - first time. Have a GT3. Curious to see how "far off the pace" I will be from the "big dogs". The possible 3rd gear layout at the airport sounds very interesting too.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Jim, registration at savannah was the day before the event, so it worked out well. Are they doing a track event (grattan, maybe) the following weekend for traverse city???

Quick Reply: Porsche Parade 2013