Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post auto x with 951

anyone has some infos for my 951?
I have the M030 with knis and cup springs and need some cumber castor settings.
I also need some tire pressures for 16" 17" or 18" tires Bridgestone S01 17" Pirreli 16" P7000 or 18" yoko 008P
ANY info as well a good book for auto X is welcome.

Konstantin
Old 05-16-2003, 09:38 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Konstantin,

Can't speak for the settings for your car.

If this is your first one, most folks discover that the car in stock form way exceeds their ability to drive it. Other than helmet etc. no special equipment is needed for a bit. Don't be too disappointed if some fellow with a lot of Autocross experience beats you in his Yugo. The driver is a significant factor in this sport.

As far as books:

Autocross 101 - Secrets of Solo Racing, by Henry A. Watts

Autocross 102 - Winning Autocross Solo II Competition, Dick Turner and J.B. Miles

It is a fun sport. I started last year with my street car, excet of a beter harness and adjustable sway bars, my car is pretty stock. When I gain a few more seconds by improved skill, I'll need to consider other upgrades.

Go out, have fun.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hello
thanks for the Autocross 102. I knew only the firts book. I will need to order them both in the US as I do not get them here in Germany.
what kind of tires and what pressure do you use?

Konstantin
Old 05-18-2003, 01:10 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Konstantin:
<strong>hello
thanks for the Autocross 102. I knew only the firts book. I will need to order them both in the US as I do not get them here in Germany.
what kind of tires and what pressure do you use?

Konstantin</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I run a pretty stock 2.4L 911T. The only upgrades that matter are:

4 point harness - I was tired of using the steering wheel to hold me in place.

Turbo tie rods - my original ones were shot and the turbos were only $10 more. Steering is noticebly better.

19 mm adjustable front and rear roll bars.

For tires, I use my street Toyo H4s (USA treadwear #400 - a very hard tire with softer sidewalls)) at 34 psi front, 37 psi rear (I add 5 psi to each tire over my stock settings.

As far as driving, I am still really a novice trying to finish mid pack. It's pretty tough as guys in my class run stickier tires and more hp. I am usually in the ASP Class in SCCA but could run B-stock. The fellows in B-stock are faster BTW.

The good news it that my driving skills do not exceed the car capabilities. I am gaining on the field rapidly as I get more seat time. My problem is lack of enough use of the loud pedal followed by equally vigorous use of the no-go pedal.

It's still fun. I'll be at the Portland Oregon SCCA Auto(slosh)cross tommorow. Hope it stops raining.....
Old 05-26-2003, 06:36 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I had an '86 951 I used for auto-x, now I have an '89 944S2. Most guys in my auto-x group run between 32 and 35 psi in their 944s2's or 951's (all 16" wheels w/ street tires). One guy likes closer to 40 in his 968, he says the harder tires are more responsive, he's competitive so its hard to argue against. I'm using Bridgestone S03's (225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear), they seem to be the best all around street tire for auto-x.
My favorite auto-cross book is from a guy who also publishes/published a small 'home alignment' book for Porsches. All I have is the address (I think it was published before the proliferation of the internet, hopefully it's still current). the guy is: Ray Scruggs, 20-A Scenic Ave., San Rafael, CA 94901.
Your other best bet is to find a good race-shop that has all the alignment specs you need. It sounds like you've got some great suspension, in my opinion the alignment is even more important. A good street/auto-x alignment won't be too bad for tire wear either.
I had an alignment receipt w/ those specs, I'll look around for it, it's probably gone though.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hello
what is the name of teh Book for the home alligment?
I searched for Ray Scruggs, but couldn't find anything.

Konstantin
Old 05-26-2003, 09:30 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Konstantin:
<strong>hello
what is the name of teh Book for the home alligment?
I searched for Ray Scruggs, but couldn't find anything.

Konstantin</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Go over to Pelican parts (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)and do a search for Ray Scruggs . There is a thread there with what you need.

Have fun!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

here what i found
Ray Scruggs "Home Alignment for Porsche 911"..no phone #, only an address..
20-A Scenic Ave., San Rafael, Calif., 94101..costs about $10.

Konstantin
Old 05-28-2003, 01:06 AM
jim944s2
Racer

Maybe somebody here from California could mail him a letter and get back to you/us about availability of books?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

that would be great.
thanks

Konstantin

Quick Reply: auto x with 951