Notices

2011 Auto-X Video Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^ quite interesting indeed.

Even the most advanced drivers commented on the layout...

For me personally it was on an advanced difficulty scale, but quite enjoyable!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

We're breaking in a new autocross venue- the US Training Center (aka Blackwater- yes, that Blackwater) track in Moyock, NC. Nice change of pace from Pungo, and though there are a lot of limitations to the site (namely, it's only 30' wide and no jr. karts allowed), it worked out terrific. The tracks were designed for law enforcement and military training and are unlike most racetracks with on and off-camber turns and a crown down the middle of the straights which added a new element I've never had to deal with before, as our other sites have been pretty well consistent in slope.

It's a 2-day event this weekend; here's my video from today (Day 1). I'm running in street tire class, on star specs, and am looking pretty good going into day 2. Seeing how badly all the normally dominant drivers coned away their best runs (if you watch the video you'll understand why), and how close I was, I can't help but wonder if I'd have taken pax ftd if I brought my r-comps...

Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
We're breaking in a new autocross venue- the US Training Center (aka Blackwater- yes, that Blackwater) track in Moyock, NC. Nice change of pace from Pungo, and though there are a lot of limitations to the site (namely, it's only 30' wide and no jr. karts allowed), it worked out terrific. The tracks were designed for law enforcement and military training and are unlike most racetracks with on and off-camber turns and a crown down the middle of the straights which added a new element I've never had to deal with before, as our other sites have been pretty well consistent in slope.

It's a 2-day event this weekend; here's my video from today (Day 1). I'm running in street tire class, on star specs, and am looking pretty good going into day 2. Seeing how badly all the normally dominant drivers coned away their best runs (if you watch the video you'll understand why), and how close I was, I can't help but wonder if I'd have taken pax ftd if I brought my r-comps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_K0CQIB9o
WOW!

great course! And great driving!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kouzman
WOW!

great course! And great driving!
+1!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks, guys It unfortunately rained on my heat today, which ruined my pax trophy hopes. I suppose some consolation is that I only had to sit in my nice dry car during the rain, while those who drove in the dry got soaking wet running after my cones! What was really frustrating was my fastest run on the drying track was a full 2.5 seconds faster than my next fastest run, but I hit 2 cones.

I used my cell phone for video today, as my camera mount won't work inside the windshield (bad geometry). Pardon the obscenity after I killed a cone near the end, too:

Incidentally, USTC has 3 tracks at Moyock. The "general" track we used this weekend, an "urban" track lined with cars (and unsuitable for autocross) and a "tactical" track that's really nice as well (longer and twistier than this one) that we used for a limited-participation track-day earlier this year to prove ourselves to the USTC staff. This worked out really well both for autocross and for that track day, so I'm sure we'll be back again. The gunfire can be a bit distracting, though.

Last edited by sjfehr; 08-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Reminds me of a course the local SCCA Region here in Dallas runs once a year on the infield road course at Texas Motor Speedway.....lots of fun.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 PM
pwalker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a fun day, despite a failure in one of my power distribution modules that fed power to my fuel pump. I quick, 5 minute rewiring job got me back up and running again. This video gives you a chance to hear some of the comments/questions I get while driving the 944/LSX. Event announcer was Manny Alban, President, PCA

Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

PCA-Chicago Autocross #4, held at the Rockford Speedway (small NASCAR oval.)

Finished 6th overall out of 24, 2nd in class next to a crazy-fast 3.2L Carrera that also took FTD. Not bad I guess.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

PCA-OCR
August 21, 2011
El Toro, Irvine, CA

Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is latest video of my old FP Boxster driven by its new owner. I'm headed out to Lincoln Sunday to have fun as co-driver in the car! We are in very tough FP Class against 3 series BMW's, Datsun 240 Z' Mitsubishi EVOs , Porsche 914's and 944. Should be exciting event!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Here is latest video of my old FP Boxster driven by its new owner. I'm headed out to Lincoln Sunday to have fun as co-driver in the car! We are in very tough FP Class against 3 series BMW's, Datsun 240 Z' Mitsubishi EVOs , Porsche 914's and 944. Should be exciting event!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUN_ld-P5s
The car is driven by Erik Strelnieks, a multiple SCCA National Champion....
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
The car is driven by Erik Strelnieks, a multiple SCCA National Champion....
Indeed! ...and it has been further refined in terms of setup by him as well. Vivek G and I are driving the car in Lincoln in FP. Beth S is running FPL.

This is first Boxster to run prepared class in SCCA Solo Nationals. Im thrilled to be offered a seat in the car I had envisioned to be a prepared class 914 beater, not truly a national level AX car.

I was truly honored to sell my Boxster to Erik. Thought of prepared Boxster being developed by national level driver of his caliber was dream come true for me! To be offered a seat in the car at this years nationals was beyond my wildest expectations!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

That course was amazing!

Quick Reply: 2011 Auto-X Video Thread