Notices

Car tie down to trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 AM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Car tie down to trailer

Not new to autocrossing or trailering but recently bought a 2010 turbo and am looking for suggestions on the best method to tie the car down to my open trailer. With my former car (corvette) there were transport slots that were very handy for that purpose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use wheel straps on my Boxster.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer2010
Not new to autocrossing or trailering but recently bought a 2010 turbo and am looking for suggestions on the best method to tie the car down to my open trailer. With my former car (corvette) there were transport slots that were very handy for that purpose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The jack points have holes, there are four in total. Hook right there, crossed to the opposite side and end on the trailer. Easiest and most convenient method.

Don't use wheel straps, the heavyweight car, lateral movement when towing, plus the aluminum subframe will mess up your alignment.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:51 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

If you use those jack points, do not over tighten them and always check the condition of those. Mine are only spot welded in 3 or 4 places to the car. Hardly a very strong point on the car for horizontal shearing loads. My mechanic has seen plenty of newer Porsches that have had these points completely or partially torn from the car from overzealous strapping.

I use rear chassis tow hooks from Rennline and at the front I use wheel straps until I can make my own front chassis mounts. The front wheel straps are going to D-rings I had welded directly in line with the centerline of my front tires.

Cheers,
Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM
00r101
Racer

First off I have had a lot of problems with T hooks falling out of the jack point holes. Also I have towed my car over 6000 miles using wheel straps and have not had alignment changes ( I check the toe once every 2 months during the season ). If the wheel straps were causing alignment changed I would not use them.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the responses, much appreciated.

On a different note, any concerns about putting A6s 265 up front and 315 in the rears as they are the same diameter? Also any suggestions on tire pressures for the A6s?

Cheers

Kim

Quick Reply: Car tie down to trailer