Notices

Need Seats and Fire extinguisher for DE/Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009 | 03:29 PM
yupitsnuge
6th Gear

Default Need Seats and Fire extinguisher for DE/Autocross

Hey guys, new here...
I came over from 6speed because everyone said your more of a racing place, which is what I need at the moment...

Im looking for seats for a 6'3 320LB'er and a good fire extinguisher for my 08 997. I ordered my cage and 4pt harness (which I was told isnt DE approved!)
Old 09-17-2009 | 10:49 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Don't go too overboard...I would say that for autocross you don't need any of those things. Any good group (SCCA, PCA) will have tons of fire extinguishers on site throughout the course and the chance of you coming to an abrupt stop is very very small.

And for DEs I would at most do a bolt-in roll bar (like the one found in the gt3rs) that is only behind the driver's seat. Again, what the car came with should be fine.

The problem with getting harnesses is that without a HANS or similar helmet-restraint device, you are much more likely to get a basal skull fracture (death) than if you had just had been using the car's factory 3-point belts. And if you use a HANS you won't be able to look left and right as easily.

As far as a Fire Extinguisher, I think it's good to have one for street use. I bought a small Halotron bottle...I would definitely go Halon or Halotron over dry chem. The small bottles are a little more than $100.

Oh and welcome to Rennlist...I find it more friendly here than over at 6spd.
Old 09-17-2009 | 11:16 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

I'm the Autox chair for our local region; fire extinguishers, cage, and harnesses not necessary for autox.

DE is different. Is your car a Cab? If not, a cage or roll bar is not required. If a Cab, a roll bar must be installed. If you want to use a harness at DE, PCA requires 5/6 point, and seat MUST have the factory installed holes for both shoulder and anti-sub belt(s). A harness bar will accomodate shoulder belts; next step up would be a roll-bar. These and roll-bar will obvioulsy impact access and use of the rear seat area. Also, if 2 people are in the car (you and instructor, for example), PCA requires that both passengers have equal restraint systems being used.

If new to DE, I would recommend sticking with OEM seats and belts until you graduate to a solo Run Group. Otherwise you will need to provide 2 seats & harnesses. Another option is consider the Recaro 5-PT Speed seat, for the driver's side, which reclines, has low side bolsters, and has proper holes for shoulder and anti-sub belts. Then, when you're autocrossing, you can use the harness. And when you're DE'ing, you can use the OEM 3-point along with your instructor. Once you graduate to a solo Run Group, you can use the harness when you're driving alone. The Recaro Speed reclines, so you can still somewhat easily get to the back seat area; much harder with a solid racing shell style seat. Recaro Speeds also mount low to the floor, which may help your height.
Old 09-17-2009 | 02:24 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I am also an autocross chair of my PCA region. While harnesses and seats are not required for autox, they certainly help. Being planted firmly in place allows you to keep an appropriate grip on the steering wheel and focus on your driving. With stock seats and belts (even stock sport seats), I moved around so much in my SC that I literally wore out the bolts that connect the steering column under the tach in the dash. In DE, I found myself bracing myself in corners. This is especially true when you are going faster and using grippy tires. They are one of the most worthwhile investments in my driving and performance that I have made, easily worth whole seconds on the track, and perhaps a second in any given autocross.

I'm not 320lbs, but I'm 6'4". Your choices in race seats are really somewhat limited. The Kirkeys come in wider sizes and are very comfortable. I have Recaro Profi XLs, and they are also great. You may have a problem with headroom in an upright seat, but usually there is room to be found in a 997.

The general rule of thumb is to only go with harnesses of you have the seats and roll bar. I have the harness and seats with a harness bar, but I do more competitive autox than DE, and weight was a factor.
Old 09-17-2009 | 04:45 PM
00r101
Racer

I tried the Kirkey wide seat back when I had a 50" waist line (down to 44 I am proud to say). The Keirkey seat fit me fine. Sparco also makes a wide seat if you want something a little more daily driverish. But overall I think you should wait until you are doing DEs on a regular basis. No need for seats, harnesses and cages in AX. When you go to events look at the people who have additional safety equipment. Ask them questions. See how stuff was mounted. Sit in their seats, try their harnesses. You will get far more valuable input there than on-line.
Old 09-23-2009 | 05:16 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you decide to wait on seats & harnesses, try the CG Lock with your stock seatbelts. Popular with the SCCA AutoX crowd. Snugs your hips in the seat so you don't have to "brace" yourself in the corners.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-912.htm

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-23-2009 | 05:21 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
If you decide to wait on seats & harnesses, try the CG Lock with your stock seatbelts. Popular with the SCCA AutoX crowd. Snugs your hips in the seat so you don't have to "brace" yourself in the corners.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-912.htm
X2. Have used them. They work.

Quick Reply: Need Seats and Fire extinguisher for DE/Autocross