Notices

Any good autox schools in Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Any good autox schools in Northeast

I'm thinking of trying autocrossing again. I did it a couple of times but was lost in a sea of cones! I need some training, more than you get at PCA autocross.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Where specifically are you? There are a number of cone clinics and evo schools in my area (South-east virginia) and probably in your area, too.

The only real way to improve, though is seat time, seat time, and more seat time! It really does get easier with practice
Old 06-05-2009, 05:06 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Evo schools are good.

My PCA Chapter (ORPCA) offers instruction to anyone who asks as part of the event. We always have a few guys who do not mind riding along to help out someone who needs coaching. sometimes, when we see someone struggling we will offer to help. Sometimes, the coach turns out to be a former SCCA Solo2 National champion.

I suspect if you ask, someone will ride along to help you find your way.

Also, if you are not walking the course prior to driving it, you will find this helpful as well. Try to walk the course with an experienced person and ask them how they would apporach the turns.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Boston BMWCCA has an autocross school next weekend, but it is full. They have another school coming up in August, but near the end of the season.
If your biggest problem is getting lost, seat time is the best cure. It WILL get easier with experience. You are getting lost because you are looking where you are headed and you really need to look much farther ahead than that. Evo School is prob the best school, but without a good handfull of events under your belt even Module I may be over your head.
Where in the North East are you? Tons of events in Ayer, Ma if you want seat time.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Where specifically are you? There are a number of cone clinics and evo schools in my area (South-east virginia) and probably in your area, too.

The only real way to improve, though is seat time, seat time, and more seat time! It really does get easier with practice
Oops! I repeated it, repeated it, repeated it.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Like, they said above, seat time is the cure. That and get some coaching from others at the event. Soon you will look like this:

Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Like, they said above, seat time is the cure. That and get some coaching from others at the event. Soon you will look like this:

Sweet.

Do they give you extra points(or deduct time) for two-wheelin' it. HAHA. Nice!!!

To the OP:
I reiterate the seat time comments. Also, visualize the course as you walk it and imagine yourself driving it. Visualize yourself driving the course between your runs and watch the other cars run the course. Use your first run or two to learn the course(read: take it easier) then visualize your runs and push much harder on your later runs. This helped me learn the course when I was a beginner so that I could follow the course easier while I was driving it.

BTW, I am still a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt, although my approach has worked well for me.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Sweet.

Do they give you extra points(or deduct time) for two-wheelin' it. HAHA. Nice!!!

To the OP:
I reiterate the seat time comments. Also, visualize the course as you walk it and imagine yourself driving it. Visualize yourself driving the course between your runs and watch the other cars run the course. Use your first run or two to learn the course(read: take it easier) then visualize your runs and push much harder on your later runs. This helped me learn the course when I was a beginner so that I could follow the course easier while I was driving it.

BTW, I am still a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt, although my approach has worked well for me.
Thnaks. If it wasn't for the photo, I would have never realized what was going on at that point.

What you are not seing is the cone I am rotating around (it is about 6" from my passenger side door) and that the there is a slight hump in the track right there so you car gets very light, That was part of my 2nd best run that day and I almost lost it futher down.

On a more serious note, you are right, walk the cousre and do the first run or two a bit slower so you are sure you know the way. Speed will come with knowledge of the course.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This helps me.

-I walk/Scooter the course layout at least twice before the runs start.
-I visualize how I plan to drive the layout over and over and over.

After the course is hot.
-If I find an area of the course that I think I might have issues with, I study it and look at how other faster drivers take the line. Nothing worse than drive an 'ideal' line that is full of marbles.
-I ask for a ridealong to see how they take a line if needed.

If you get lost in a sea of cones it could be that you are not looking out far enough to the next apex(s). Nothing replace quality seat time.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the NE there is an Evo school at Warminster PA on June 27th. Go to http://www.evoschool.com/ for details. Evo puts on the best autox schools in the country but they are pricey ($250+) For less money there are lots of novice schools hosted by various SCCA regions. I see on myautoevents.com that there is an autox school in Loudon NH on Aug 8th.

In general most schools are at the beginning of the season (March - June) so its a little late to find anything.

A lot of the answers you received will help. One of the best things to do is to find someone in your club who is good and spend some time with them at events. Offer them a ride in your car with you as passenger. You can learn a lot form watching someone else drive your car. Then ask them to ride with you driving. They will be able to tell you mistakes you are making that you may not be aware of.

BTW - I try to walk a course at least 3 times; not one or two. At SCCA Nationals I walk each course at least 6 times but some people walk them 10-20 times!!! You should walk until you can close your eyes and recite how the course goes and all the important cones. Finally, have patience. This sport is hard and does take practice. If it was any easier, they'd call it road racing :-)

Last edited by 00r101; 06-08-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00r101
If it was any easier, they'd call it road racing :-)
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm in NJ - so anything in the tristate area would be great.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in NJ then definitely go to Warminster PA on June 27th. You will need to preregister and prepay but Warminster is only 90 miles from NYC so its less than that from almost anywhere in NJ. It is certainly worth the drive. Sign up for Phase One.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in NJ you can go to the NNJR-PCA events and practice, practice and practice. We offer instructors free of charge for as many runs as you like. We hold our events at Englishtown Racetrack (parking lot and on the road course), PNC and the Expo Center in Raritan. There has been some very good advice given above:

1. Walk the course at least 3X
2. Go at a moderate pace during the first runs to get used to the course and then quicken your pace in subsequent runs.
3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Seat time is key

You can also participate in the SCCA-NNJR events which are held all the time. Great group and instructors are available as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Sweet.

Hereis the video that goes with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQx8yxizNs

Quick Reply: Any good autox schools in Northeast