Notices

lightweight helmet for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightweight helmet for autocross

Looking for an autocross helmet - open face, ultra-low-weight. Strictly for autocrossing.

I see there are some specialty lightweight helmets for rally driving and they are around 2.2 pounds - about half the weight of some of the regular autocross helmets. The low weight reduces neck strain and for me it is something worth paying for - but it's a bit challenging to shop around based on the weight of the helmets.

Please post links to any and all low weight SA 2005 helmets if you can - or any advice that might help - it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BuddyK; 05-09-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the model or make, but one of the local guys got a carbon fiber open-face helmet for something like $200 at a local motorcycle shop. It's intended for motorcycle use only, but it's M2005 certified (thus SCCA legal), and "looks" perfectly safe for autocross usage. It is about 1/3 the weight of my G-Force closed-face M2000 helmet.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I don't know the model or make, but one of the local guys got a carbon fiber open-face helmet for something like $200 at a local motorcycle shop. It's intended for motorcycle use only, but it's M2005 certified (thus SCCA legal), and "looks" perfectly safe for autocross usage. It is about 1/3 the weight of my G-Force closed-face M2000 helmet.

Thanks for that.

I was thinking of this Stilo WRC helmet or the Peltor 1Kg helmet, but it's way overkill for my autocross needs. Here is a place I found that sells them

http://www.rallysport.ca/safety/helmets3.htm#stilo

But I like the idea of going with an M2005 helmet (which is allowed in the rules I see), and if I need a better helmet in the future I can buy the more expensive Stilo, and use the lightweight one for my wife who might eventually come for a spin on an autocross run - lightweight should help prevent neck strain was my idea on that. That Stilo is pretty cool, it is designed for a good chatterbox system, but I'm not sure I'll always want the muffs for autocross. Before I buy something like the Stilo, I'll have to try one out somewhere.

So that is the result of my search for lightweight helmets so far.

Next stop - the motorcycle shop and I'll see if I can find something like what you describe.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wearing helmets for 20+ years and never even notice them when I AX. At the track I might, under sustained cornering forces. Interesting.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by racer
I've been wearing helmets for 20+ years and never even notice them when I AX. At the track I might, under sustained cornering forces. Interesting.

Yes, the funny thing about the lightness of a helmet is that it might not make much appreciable quality difference until you crash (assuming same strength of course). After a crash, would you have rather had double the force or half the force of inertia in that helmet on your head. Half the weight, half the inertial forces levering your neck around.

I really don't expect to crash or have an airbag deploy in autocrossing, but since I am going to have to comply with rules and wear a helmet in autocrossing, It just seemed like fun to research them a bit.

having said that I ended up purchasing a Snell rated 5lb open face helmet for pretty cheap locally. no 2.5 pound carbon fiber helmet for me this time - oh well. It was better to get a good fit locally in the end. Next time I'll get the lightweight one for my wife with the bobblehead - she might appreciate it more so.

Here's what I ended up with: It's a Snell M2005 rating - for motorcycle - which is allowed in autoslalom I am pretty sure. No fireproof lining, and not designed to repetetively hit rollbars, (I have no rollbars in my C4), so I think this M rating is going to be fine. HJC FS-3 model helmet. Seems alright.

UPDATE - I tried out my helmet today and it was just fine - Racer - you were right, weight was not an issue - good advice. Still though, if I get one for my wife, I'll go for a lighter model - she has a problem holding her head steady on rollercoasters, and is worried her head will whip around, which it might as a passenger.

Last edited by BuddyK; 12-17-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Here's me having some fun!

If anyone else is looking for helmet I recommend the one I have - HJC open face $149.00 CAD is what I paid. Weight really is a non issue..

Last edited by BuddyK; 12-17-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 AM
kmckmc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this BMW motorcycle helmet OK for autocross?

http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...W_Airflow.html

It is said to be exceeding the ECE 22-05 standard.

Last edited by kmckmc; 07-02-2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: new information
Old 07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
Looking for an autocross helmet - open face, ultra-low-weight. Strictly for autocrossing.

I see there are some specialty lightweight helmets for rally driving and they are around 2.2 pounds - about half the weight of some of the regular autocross helmets. The low weight reduces neck strain and for me it is something worth paying for - but it's a bit challenging to shop around based on the weight of the helmets.

Please post links to any and all low weight SA 2005 helmets if you can - or any advice that might help - it would be greatly appreciated!
auto-x hardly needs any helmets and honestly i do not know why rules do require them but what can we do.
IMHO just get any cheapest one you can find like g-force for $120 and use it. like others said - you will not feel it at all. just get whichever one is most comfortable and breaths well.
for a track it is different story - you do have real chance to roll your car or crash at high speed so you do need to think about neck safety there, so have a neck collar and good light closed face light carbon fiber one - and that will cost pretty penny.

Quick Reply: lightweight helmet for autocross