Notices

Solo Street Touring Roadster Class Set for 2010 Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Solo Street Touring Roadster Class Set for 2010 Introduction

TOPEKA, Kan. (My 7, 2009) – Sports Car Club of America’s Solo Events Board has approved a new supplemental class—Street Touring® R (Roadster), for competition in 2010.

The approval comes after considerable member support to expand the ST category to include a class for modern roadsters. While many cars are eligible, member feedback helped establish the Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata as the class’ performance targets. Allowances will be tailored for eligible vehicles to establish performance parity.

The class will have the following requirements and restrictions:
- Two seat sports cars
- Engine displacements up to 2.8-liters
- No forced induction

Eligible vehicles will include, but is not limited to:
- All STS eligible vehicles per the requirements and restrictions, plus
- Honda S2000
- Mazda Miata
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Toyota MR2
- Toyota MR2 – Spyder
- BMW Z3 (non M)
- BMW Z4 (non M)
- Mazda RX-7 (non-turbo)
- Porsche Boxster
- Porsche 968
- Porsche 944 (non-turbo)
- Pontiac Solstice
- Saturn Sky

Excluded vehicles due to performance potential:
- Lotus cars

Additional class notes include:

- Tire Allowances:
o AWD – 225mm
o 2WD – 245mm

- Wheel Allowances:
o AWD – 7.5”
o 2WD – 8.5”

- Catalytic Converters:
o Same as ST, STS allowance.

- Limited Slip Differentials:
o STR: Only standard LSDs allowed OR Allowance same as STX, STU

The class will run with supplemental status in 2010, meaning that no National Champion will be crowned. Should the class show considerable interest, and meet participation requirements, it may be approved for full National status in future years.

The SEB is seeking input on the following items. Members should send any input on these items to seb@scca.com.
1. OE LSD vs. Aftermarket LSD: All of the target vehicles are available with Limited Slip Differentials (or electronic equivalents) as standard equipment in some optional configuration. Restricting all cars to OE limited slips would reduce costs. That said, not all factory LSDs are equal and an argument can be made that, for reasons of parity, aftermarket parts should be allowed.
2. Inclusion of 2006-present Mazda MX-5: Is this car appropriate given the desired performance level of the class?
I think this is a GREAT thing, although I am a bit upset the Boxster S is being excluded.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

I am a Cayman S guy, so I do not have a dog in this fight, but it appears that the '09 Boxster is the 1st year where a real LSD is available. But, with a 2.9 liter displacement, it is excluded.

The kiss of death with my Cayman in terms of its capability as a AX car is the lack of a LSD. PSM (what I think the rules makers are calling an electronic equivalent of an LSD) just kills the ability to put power down on corner exit of even through slaloms. I would assume a Boxster is the same, although I know that some have put big-*** front sway bars to try to mitigate that problem.

Interesting that they are seeking input on after market LSDs.

Brian
Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thought but I hate to point out that only the 944S2 and 968 come as cabs and both are 3.0liters. Unless some one wants to back date a drive train or lop the top off a 924/924S/944/944S we're out.

Now if it was two seat, 4 cyl, and some hp/weight ratio it could be interesting. But that would leave out the Boxster (6cyl).
Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

oops, douple post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
The kiss of death with my Cayman in terms of its capability as a AX car is the lack of a LSD. PSM (what I think the rules makers are calling an electronic equivalent of an LSD) just kills the ability to put power down on corner exit of even through slaloms. I would assume a Boxster is the same, although I know that some have put big-*** front sway bars to try to mitigate that problem.
Both the Boxster and Boxster S have done just fine in national-level autocrosses at various points when they were favorably classed -- while an LSD would have helped them, they were / are far from dogs on the autocross course.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:41 PM
00r101
Racer

Brian,

A big bar on a Boxster does a great job of planting the rear while at the same time reducing front positive camber changes. While an LSD would be nice I am not too sure that its lack really hinders a properly prepared AX Boxster.

The thing to worry about in the proposed rule set is the 245mm limit on tires. This rule favors lighter cars than the Boxster/S2000/Solstice/Sky all of which want bigger tires in the rear.

I think the car to have for the class as written would be the MR2 Spyder - lightweight at 2300#, mid engine, torquey motor.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 AM
michel944
Pro

Originally Posted by N_Halbert
Nice thought but I hate to point out that only the 944S2 and 968 come as cabs and both are 3.0liters. Unless some one wants to back date a drive train or lop the top off a 924/924S/944/944S we're out.

Now if it was two seat, 4 cyl, and some hp/weight ratio it could be interesting. But that would leave out the Boxster (6cyl).
It says two seat sports cars in the requirements, not cabs only ! So that doesn't rule out a 2.5 944.

Quick Reply: Solo Street Touring Roadster Class Set for 2010 Introduction