Notices

993 Solo ASP / SM2 / FP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 993 Solo ASP / SM2 / FP?

I've been autocrossing my 993 for a few years now and enjoying the heck out of it. This last season it took a break while I autocrossed a mazda midget EMod car until I got my suspension sorted out (Thanks Steve!). The rest of this season I'm running FP to say in my local groups class and get season points

But that brings me to my question. In preparing for next year I'm trying to decide between ASP, SM2, or FP. I think ASP / SM2 are my logical next steps as I slip farther down the slippery slope but what cars can I update / backdate from in ASP to gain an advantage? Can I use 964 RS America parts (door panels, carpet, other?) or does it fall into the category of not having 1000 produced within a 12 month period? Does that even matter?

Mods so far:
Moton clubsports
RS strut bar
EVO hub carriers / Tie rods
RS motor mounts
TRG Sways
ERP Monoball mounts & camber plates

Mods coming over winter:
6 point harnesses
Recaro SPG seats
DAS Rollbar

I tried a few forum searches but to no avail. I'd appreciate any help in finding the things I can do to my car to make it more competitive in ASP or SM2 beyond the nut behind the wheel (seat time seat time seat time).
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't read the rulebook in a long time, but don't the EVO hubcarriers and Elephant monoball stuff and RS mounts disqualify you from ASP??? That would make SM2 a logical choice I suppose.

Also, are the 964 and 993 on the same line in the rulebook? If not, you can't update/backdate regardless of the "RS" issue. Now, for SM2, it doesn't matter.

I am assuming you want to run locally and do well but not necessarily plan on running Nationally. I think the 993 would not be nationally competitive in the long run. You would spend big money to bump horsepower, change gear ratios, and shed weight and would be left with a car that was no longer well rounded (not streetable, limited for track use, etc.).

Also, if you are serious, the number one thing is to reduce weight, so be careful about the rollcage idea unless you do your homework to make sure you can get close to minimum weight and gain the benefit of chassis stiffness.

IMHO of course!

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply For street prepared it lists "911 non-turbo (3.6L air-cooled)" which I believe would count the 964 RS (the not having 1000 made in a 12 month period is what worried me). I bet you're right about the EVO uprights, unless they came on a production car of some sort, uprights & tierods aren't changeable until SM2. The camber plates and motor mounts are legal in ASP. If in SM2 I'm hoping that I can use the RS carpet and doors to shed some weight. It doesn't mention carpet replacement until Prepared class, my assumption is it'd have to be a replacement from a car on the same line item. Minimum weight on my car is 2590 which I would be amazed if I get close to :P

Yeah I just want to be competitive locally with this car, if I want to go nationals I'd likely be looking at buying the "in" car for the year... not to that point yet. I'd like to keep my mods for Autocross in line with when I take the car to the track eventually (not sure what to run there or the rules). The roll bar would be preparation for that.

I'm sure I'll drive myself nuts looking over the rule book over and over, but for now I think my happy little C4S is moving to SM2 next season.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FP: 911 (non-turbo engines under 3.6L)

Somewhere after Nationals 2006, brilliant minds decided to exclude the 3.6 911, you can always downsize to 3.5 and still run FP.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I like F/P.
I'm a 2.7, but always assumed a stock 3.6 was legal...
What is the actual displacement?

Quick Reply: 993 Solo ASP / SM2 / FP?