Notices

question for 944 auto-x's: tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roman, Ive been detailing for about 5 years now. My paint is shot. Ive spent a weekend on it with everything my shop had and two guys armed with porter-cables. Its gone.

The lip is

...an old Subaru trick.

Im working on an M030 Suspension set-up now. Be careful with what you are buying because aftermarket springs will also take you out of ES, along with Front (I think) Sways.

Download a SCCA Rulebook at www.scca.org. And throw it in the bathroom.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a friend who did that to his Jetta, it definetly looks great, here's a shot:

what are you doing for suspension?
that Ground Control kit sounds like a deal, front coils, and rear shocks, $1300
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Roman944, before you spend all this money on upgrades, get some 15" wheels and some used tires; r-compounds or just used track tires.

Go out to a parking lot with these 15" tires on and AX/avoid the curbs and street lights. See how the car handles with this simple upgrade.

Then, consider suspension replacement parts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll be AXing Saturday and will post pictures in the AX forum under the Greensboro, NC thread. My 944 has some roll, but not enough to have me invest $1000.00s into reducing it.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Roman944, before you spend all this money on upgrades, get some 15" wheels and some used tires; r-compounds or just used track tires.

Go out to a parking lot with these 15" tires on and AX/avoid the curbs and street lights. See how the car handles with this simple upgrade.

Then, consider suspension replacement parts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll be AXing Saturday and will post pictures in the AX forum under the Greensboro, NC thread. My 944 has some roll, but not enough to have me invest $1000.00s into reducing it.
yah all that talk is crazy talk! new wheels with tires come first! then I'll know what I should be doing and where!

any suggestions on tire? what exactly is the r-compound? are all summer tires that? I guess that Hankook RS2 is R-compound street tire that I can just drive on - that would be kind of nice! and it's not that expensive compared to a dedicated slick.

maybe a used set.

and it should be all 4 tires?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hankook R-S2 is not an r-compound tire. Most summer tires are not R-compound.

R-compound tires have a very low treadwear rating but are still DOT approved. They are the tires that fit in between street radials and racing slicks. Examples are Pilot Sport Cups, Advan A048s, and Pirelli P Zero Corsas. R-compound tires are usually listed on tire websites as "competition" or "for competition use only"
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

My VictoRacers V-710s had a tread wear rating of 50. Some say that is 50 laps around the track.

For the $650.00 I paid for them, delivered to the door from Tire Rack (a Rennlist sponsor) they have been driven almost to the core. I've put about a 1000 miles on them.

They were delivered without being heat cycled or shaved. I heat cycled them myself, just driving them for an hour of so. The shaving was solved with monitoring the pressure on them.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Roman, read the rule book.

Trust me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO HIGHER THAN E-STOCK!

These cars cannot hang in the prepared class. With full aftermarket coilovers, thats where youll be.

Depending on your year, you can use M030 Suspension and get away with it because of the factory option clause.
The stock rules say only Struts, NO SPRING changes.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:29 PM
roman944
Drifting

year is 1983

so what are you doing with your's?

now I gota find a set of phone dials, lol
Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Well, my most recent purchase was a set of cookie cutters for 40$. Im now shopping for Racing Tires. Probably Hoosiers, full competitions. Im going for the Class Championship next season.

Also, Im looking at Adjust. Koni Struts, Smaller steering wheel (Im 6'3"), Brakes, I personally lost 17 lbs to go with my A/C Compressor, condensor, etc. removal. The list goes on....

The car isnt going to be a weekend cruiser, Its going to be built to own ES.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:02 PM
roman944
Drifting

actually, I'm not looking to win anything at all; it's just something to do/tweak; just for fun; sure it will take $$$, but over time! I'm not looking at throwing $10k at this thing in one shot!

so as far as the classes go, I am not worried at all, I just want to do it for the hell of it; learn to drive the car better etc.

I mean, I don't want to be the slowest car at the track, but at the same time I know it takes a lot of $$$ and time to do this right and win stuff

I mean if anything, why not swap in an LSx and build the suspension, I'm sure it will do great then!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That weather stripping trick is great, guys!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I autocrossed my basically stock 83 944 last weekend. It was my first autocross and I ran in E Stock. I thought I did well with my time of 45.9 seconds. I was faster than 350Zs, an evo 10, a modified new GTI, etc. Then a fully prepared, very competitive E Stock NA SW20 MR2 went sub 39 seconds... I think with my car a good driver could have ran 42 seconds, that leaves 3 seconds for tires and suspension stuff. I have a feeling it takes a lot to be competitive in E Stock with a 944.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Oh, it does!

If you look back at the nationals, the class is owned by MR2's and Miatas.

You can still win locally, and regionally, but I also agree that the car itself is probably the limiting factor at the National Championship level.

And congrats on doing well the first time out!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 PM
roman944
Drifting

yeah Miatas, MR2's and S2ks are the most popular up here

then Evo's and STi's and fully modded cars
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You definitely don't want to move up into CSP, which is where you'll be with any suspension mod that isn't a factory option, with the exclusion of a front swaybar. You can put a custom-made telephone-pole sized front sway on if you want (I hear WRX guys break a lot of control arms this way) and still remain in ES.

Don't get r-compound tires just yet; they mask a lot of bad driving habits that you won't notice you're doing until you prematurely wear out your new tires. It's a lot more fun to just show up on what you normally run and not have to change wheels/tires, so just find some nice high-performance street tires that you don't mind driving on every day.

The key part at the regional level is just to drive! Yeah the MR2s are faster IMO, and the miatas are better on tighter courses (like parking lots), but on a big course like on an airstrip they can't hang with the 944.

NCPorsche, when you gonna post those pics? I got a few...think I'll go post some now. Think you can post a results sheet too?

Quick Reply: question for 944 auto-x's: tires