Notices

Left foot braking in autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 AM
admc58
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"take Gary Thomason SS champion this year in a GT3, he is a Right foot brake. "

The throttle retard(ed) action also happens on the latest GT3 with the lightest brush on the brakes. It really bites when you are transitioning from brake to gas on exit with LFB. 20+years of AutoX and some national championships and I still prefer cars with no Nannies. A good ABS system is nice though.

LFB, Is, I believe, the way to go but there is a learning curve. When I am driving at 90%+ I just do it whithout thinking. My foot comes off the clutch and rests over the brake (don't go over to the dead peddle). If I have to shift up I move my foot over to the clutch then back to the brake.

Take note here PSM equipped car owners: If you are in a drift with the wheel turned into the slide and PSM is "off" and you tap the brakes to make a minor correction, PSM automatically turns back on when brakes are applied, it will try to turn the car in the direction that the wheel is turned. This can be a tramatic event if you are not expecting it.

To be honest on PSM equipped cars I have about stopped using LFB to make minor attitude adjustments. These cars respond better & more consistantly to very small throttle angle changes. I still use LFB in dedicated brake sections of the course.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I tried left foot braking, my helmet visor went from all the way up to nearly all the way down

It's a great skill to learn.

If you're out at El Toro with PCA, watch Steve Abbot in his silver C5 Corvette. He's fast as hell and left foot brakes.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch the left foot braking. 1:15, 2:15, 2:30, 3:10, and 3:55 into the video you can watch his feet. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomy2m0V9TE
Old 11-16-2008, 04:00 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by butzip
P.S. - 'You Tube' "Walter Rohrl at Portugal, 1985 (onboard!)"

Most, I'm sure, have seen this. It speaks for itself.....
You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ
Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
tdz
Intermediate

I struggled with left foot braking when I first tried it. Then I started thinking that I don't have any problem left foot braking a kart, so what's different?

I noticed that when working the clutch I use my whole leg, and that's what I was doing with the brake. But in a kart my heel is planted and I rotate my ankle. So that's what I did in the car and it works great. I have much better fine control with my heel on the floor and rotating at the ankle, just like my right foot on the throttle.

Now I need to work on shifting, like in the video. The first autocross where I had to shift to third, I forgot to move my foot and slammed the brake.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Great but in 1985 there were no Porsche Lawyers mandating PSM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been trying to learn this for years. My next trick will be patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porrsha
Great but in 1985 there were no Porsche Lawyers mandating PSM.
But in a couple of years, EVERY new car sold will have a stability management system. Ugh.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Stability Management FTL... I want raw, no ABS etc. fun. On the course anyway.

I could never bring myself to master left foot braking. I always jab the pedal too hard and I have NO modulation whatsoever. I'm too busy rev-matching and heel-toeing to try to move the left foot off the clutch.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Stability Management FTL... I want raw, no ABS etc. fun. On the course anyway.

I could never bring myself to master left foot braking. I always jab the pedal too hard and I have NO modulation whatsoever. I'm too busy rev-matching and heel-toeing to try to move the left foot off the clutch.

Watch Walter's feet in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ .

Not a lot of Heel/toeing going on.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Yeah. He does it in a couple other vids as though. I noticed his attention to the clutch pedal in another vid. He likes to press it rapidly when braking I think. Guess it keeps the rear-end in line when off the throttle? He does heel-toe, but he left foot brakes a lot too. He's my new driving hero. This guy makes it better than art.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryD
Watch Walter's feet in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ .

Not a lot of Heel/toeing going on.
Harry,
Not sure about "a lot". It's subtle, but he does it, e.g. :45, and probably when the camera isn't on his feet and instead on the crazy spectators lining the road as he drifts toward them.

Sherwood

Quick Reply: Left foot braking in autocross?