Broken Tranny Advice / Parade AutoX Ride Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
AStocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Tranny Advice / Parade AutoX Ride Needed

Greetings:

At this past weekend's Washington, DC SCCA ProSolo we suffered what appears to be a tranny failure on our 18K mile 1997 993 C2.

Since we started autocrossing it in 2004, we discovered that somtimes on a hard "drag strip" launch (on Hoosiers) the car would start "hopping" and it would pop out of 1st gear. The obvious solution was smoother starts and holding the shift lever in first gear.

At the DC event the Xmas tree start lights were on an uphill, so we had to hold the e-brake to avoid rolling out of the lights. The trick therefore was to come down with the e-brake and grab the shift lever as we accelerated.

It popped out of first on me once during my three practice starts. On Lynne's first practice start it popped out before she could grab the shift lever and consequently 1st and 2nd gears "disappeared". We still could select reverse, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. A quick exam showed no problems with the linkage and metal in the tranny oil. The car is now at the shop and it looks like we're SOL regarding the Parade event next week.

We're looking for any comments / advice on the tranny situation (e.g. a common problem for 993's? what caused it? best source for reman tranny?, etc.)

Also, if anyone is looking for a co-driver(s) we can offer 8x18 and 10x18 wheels with 12 run Hoosier A6's mounted or other arrangements. Lynne had Ladies FTD at the 50th Anniversary Parade (in an SCCA stock Porsche), and both of us are multi-time national champions (and we're easy on cars, believe it or not ).

Thanks!!

Paul Kozlak (and Lynne Rothney-Kozlak)

PS All we have at the moment is a Treo that doesn't allow us to sign-in to Rennlist so we'll respond ASAP (this is typed from an internet cafe).

cc: 993 Forum
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Paul!

Mad Dog Murray told me about your problem, sorry to hear that!!!!

I wish I had a tranny to lend you but I dont think they will allow a sequential in stock class

If you can get the tranny to CT, I bet Gary Fairbanks in Norwalk could fix it fast, tell him you are a friend of mine and that may help (or not, I beat him last time we played tennis...)

Good luck!!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul, Mike, et al:

I am less than 15 minutes to Gary's shop. Obviously, I can help. It is on the way to SoNo Bakery and Pagano's Fish. Saw the pics of you guys walking the course at the Parade. Did ja grab a ride in GT3?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
AStocker
Intermediate

Default Broken Tranny Advice / Parade AutoX Ride Needed

Hi Mike,

Great to hear from you. It's been a long time. Hope all is well with the family (and business & racing).

Thanks for the referral to Gary but on Sunday after the Pro we towed the car to Specialty Cars in Allentown, PA (they serviced the car while we lived in PA). Mark will be starting on the 14th once he finishes the Speedster restoration he's working on. I'll let you know what they find.

Take care. Hopefully we'll run into you soon.

Thanks for the offer, Matt. Rob Falkner was kind enough to offer his 968 for us to drive (he was running his Boxster). Lynne had Women's FTD. Rob almost had FTD (finally beaten by a modified 914). I think my time was at least in the top 5 overall. Great course with lots of elevation changes (used most of Lowes Motor Speedways infield course). Lot's of fun! The Parade was fun as well.

Talk to you soon,
Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
AStocker
Intermediate

Default Broken Tranny Advice / Parade AutoX Ride Needed - Update

Hey guys,

The 993 was picked up on August 20th. The shift fork had broken in 2 places. First gear, 1st/2nd gear slider, 1st/2nd gear syncros were toast. The clutch was paper thin. The flywheel had ~20+ cracks in it.

Replaced the above (with their related parts) along with new plugs, secondary air injection check valve, and clutch slave cylinder (leaking)).

I guess Porsche didn't design the car for Solo / ProSolo standing starts.

Seriously thinking of retiring the car as this is a serious expense to go through every 2-3 years (at least the clutch/flywheel).

We'll see how the stock class reorg's go.

Paul

cc 993 Forums
Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Seems that the solution may be to buy a Z06.

Quick Reply: Broken Tranny Advice / Parade AutoX Ride Needed