AX tech inspections

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Default AX tech inspections

I'm trying to come up with a form for the tech inspector to follow. A search brought up the following checks:

Drivers License; proof of insurance.
Wheel lugs properly torqued
Adequate tires
Secure battery
Brake fluid full
Gas cap secure
Adequate seat belts
Loose items removed from trunk and interior

What is missing from this list?

Now for specifics;

I've never been asked to show proof of insurance nor my driver's license before autocrossing, is this really necessary?

What is proper torque on Porsche tires? Do the numbers change with the different models? How about non-Porsches?

When you check the tires, are you just making sure there is no cord showing?

Secure battery should be checking the battery to make sure it doesn't move. Anything else to check?

When you check the brake fluid fill, are you just checking to make sure there is fluid in the reservoir or checking to make sure it is actually full?

Loose items? Would items in map pockets be considered secure? Are windshield mounts items considered secure? If there is an in car camera, do you physically check the mount and attempt to move the camera?

What about oil level and oil leaks?

It is my hopes to make a check list foolproof, but you can certainly be too **** and disqualifying a car for a trivial fault can cause repercussions that I'd rather not deal with.

Thanks in advance for your input(s)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Add that tech should verify that the car's numbers
and class designation are properly displayed.
Brake pedal pressure.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel bearing check - a healthy push on the front wheels to see if they are noticably loose and in need of adjustment. Also a chance to inspect brake pads.. some courses/regions run 3rd gear 100mph courses so pad wear could be an issue.

To me, an "empty car is an empty car"... I don't want to see things that can come loose and distract a driver. My own embarassement was I forgot to remove the ownersmanual from the storage unit behind the shoulder in my Boxster. After going thru the stop gate and getting hard on the brakes, out shot the manual and some loose papers.. all over the dash and seats. Very distracting. Luckily it was at the end of my run.. but it could have happened on course.

If there is a camera mount I check it for tightness... If there is something on the dash, I encourage removal. For me, its more important to have an unobstructed view than to not remove the ezpass, for instance.

Minumium Porsche TQ rating I've seen over the years is 90... Some later wheels are spec'd at as high as 96

I don't check oil level, but I do check for noticable leaks (whether it be coolant, oil, brake or PS fluid. Also check tightness of all caps.

I also look for loose or worn belts (engine belts that is)

To me, the lisence/PCA Card should be checked at registration, not in a Tech line. Some regions do enforce it.. some don't mind. After a few events, you recognize people and worry less about the formality.

I am not sure from your avitar if you are asking because of a need for a parade tech, but for that, I assume PCA has a guideline for Parade Techs.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
I am not sure from your avitar if you are asking because of a need for a parade tech, but for that, I assume PCA has a guideline for Parade Techs.
The tech for Parade is not my concern. This is in other hands and we will be in the timing tent for Parade AX.

There is an AX in Winston-Salem on April 6 and I'm trying to set a standard for inspections. Simply, a laminated sheet so the inspector can check the cars.

Another thread I will start in the week to come is a Driver's Meeting checklist. Another topic for another day.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Bobby Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parade auto-x tech questions. I have an open 914 (windshield removed) with stock 914 seat and 5 pt harness. Do I need a seat with openings for shoulder belts?
Also my battery is located in the passenger seat area. It is enclosed in a plastic case which is secured by a leather strap through metal brackets bolted to the floor. Is this OK? Both items pass SCCA, NASA, and local PCA tech inspections.
Thanks,
Bobby S
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
I'm trying to come up with a form for the tech inspector to follow. A search brought up the following checks:

Drivers License; proof of insurance.
Wheel lugs properly torqued
Adequate tires
Secure battery
Brake fluid full
Gas cap secure
Adequate seat belts
Loose items removed from trunk and interior

What is missing from this list?

BRAKE ROTOR AND PAD CONDITION
SEAT BELT CONDITION AND AGE
HELMET CONDITION AND AGE
FAN BELT CONDITION ON "REAL" PORSCHES
FRONT WHEEL BEARING ADJUSTMENT

Now for specifics;

I've never been asked to show proof of insurance nor my driver's license before autocrossing, is this really necessary?
NO, SHOULD BE COVERED BY EVENT INSURANCE

What is proper torque on Porsche tires? Do the numbers change with the different models? How about non-Porsches?
I THINK 92 FT/ LBS IS CORRECT FOR THE LUG NUTS ON P CARDS 95 ON, NOT SURE ABOUT EARLIER CARS. WE NEVER CHECK TQ, JUST ENSURE NUTS ARE PRESENT AND TIGHT

When you check the tires, are you just making sure there is no cord showing?
YES AND ALSO TO ENSURE STREET TIRE TREAD > 3/32" TO START EVENT

Secure battery should be checking the battery to make sure it doesn't move. Anything else to check?
METAL HOLD DOWNS ONLY, THOUGH SOME 356'S CAME WITH A CHEESY BINGY CORD TYPE HOLD DOWN.

When you check the brake fluid fill, are you just checking to make sure there is fluid in the reservoir or checking to make sure it is actually full?
LEVEL / COLOR / CLARITY SHOULD MEET ACCEPTED STANDARDS
AMBER FLUID THAT IS NOW CLOUDY BROWN IS A NO GO.
WATCH FOR BLUE FLUID = HIPO GOOD DTUFF

Loose items? Would items in map pockets be considered secure? Are windshield mounts items considered secure? If there is an in car camera, do you physically check the mount and attempt to move the camera?
CLOSING HINGED POCKETS ARE OK, FABRIC WITH ELASTIC = NO
WINDSHIELD MOUNTS = OFF
CAREFULL IF U HANDLE SOMEONES VIDDY CAMERA

What about oil level and oil leaks?
LOOK FOR GROSS LEAKS, ASK OWNER ABOUT OIL LEVEL

It is my hopes to make a check list foolproof, but you can certainly be too **** and disqualifying a car for a trivial fault can cause repercussions that I'd rather not deal with.

Thanks in advance for your input(s)

checkout the www.pcasdr.org website to see the AX registration / tech form that we use. it's in the driving events > AX > important forms section.

you may want to contact a PCASDR representative if you are going to use this form.

since i'm a newly minted "tech inspector", i've added some responses to your questions in the quoted section above, ALL CAPS FOR CLARITY.

cheers

craig

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE YOUR DENTURES..............

Last edited by cgfen; 03-18-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: could not attach pdf file
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Smith
Parade auto-x tech questions. I have an open 914 (windshield removed) with stock 914 seat and 5 pt harness. Do I need a seat with openings for shoulder belts?
Also my battery is located in the passenger seat area. It is enclosed in a plastic case which is secured by a leather strap through metal brackets bolted to the floor. Is this OK? Both items pass SCCA, NASA, and local PCA tech inspections.
Thanks,
Bobby S
Send me a PM sent as to Parade AX tech. Apparently, you do not have your permissions set so I can send one to you.

There is a thread in this same forum concerning AX Parade - Charlotte.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
sbyrne
Racer

2 additional items we check in my SCCA Region - throttle return spring & helmet (SNELL 95 or better).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Helmets must now be Snell 2000 or newer, if I'm not mistaken. (as per PCA national) Most autoX still allows either M or SA.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

Here's the link to my PCA region tech-sheet. There are a couple things on there missing from the above named items.

http://www.roadrunner-region-pca.org...ationSheet.pdf
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The check sheet was a great assistance and was appreciated by the tech inspector. The next challenge is a form for the driver's meeting. I'll start a new thread.

This weekends AX went well. 18 cars, 22 drivers. First car out a 10 AM everyone got three runs in before the pizza delivery, three runs in post lunch. Unfortunately for me, in my 944, I'm competing in division two against the older 911s. My best time was 54.+ seconds. FTD was 49.998 and was an older 911.

Dave, from Speedwerks, gave us an instructional talk during the lunch break and everyone's time improved. This improvement was partially due to knowing the course, but my time improvement (3 seconds) was due to Dave looking at a specific corner and explaining how the corner changes with each lap - this was a three lap course, getting tighter with each lap. Kudos to Dave.

Dave was working the timer and not driving, but if you do have a lunch break and someone wishes to share their expertise, a short 15 minute talk about the course is a nice addition.

As an additional thought, Parade AX currently has 429 entires. 400 slots initially available and an expected drop out rate of 10-20%. Most likely, everyone that entered Parade AX will get a chance to drive.

Quick Reply: AX tech inspections