PCA class changes for 08

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCA class changes for 08

I noticed that JI class is gone for 2008 in the PCA class chart...

I have a 1985 928S w/28 points in mods that starts out as a J class (85/86 928). then if I follow the chart, it goes off to the right into oblivion w/28 penalty/mod points on the PCA class chart... then the arrow points DOWN to II class instead of the 2007 JI class box on the same row.

so is II my new class now? seems kinda hard on those 2.4L guys to have a 400rwhp / 450tq monster w/big brakes/suspension/tires shredding the track at willow.

no offense to those guys as they are amazingly nimble in tight stuff compared to my tire smoking bull, but I guess I would have expected to be thrown in w/the turbo cars rather than NA 2.4 stuff.

or did I mis-read the arrow? it just points down at the II box, or does that mean something else??

thx!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I am confused. Is this the National Classing (i.e. PCRs) or for your region?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Hi,

Either local, or something other than AX.

Our region just adopted PCR AX classifications (Parade Rules), and if what the OP is discussing is in there, it is well hidden

Brian
Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe he is referring to the PCA Zone 8 classification rules, which are here:
http://zone8.pca.org/rules/2008/Z8Driving2008.pdf

I read it the same way you do, JS/S + 21-40 points is II. Not sure about how it would work out competitively, but I know the IS guys are crazy fast, at least in San Diego Region, so I wouldn't be too cocky going up against II...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 AM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarryD
Hi,

sorry, ZONE 8.... you guys are fast!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Irksome
I believe he is referring to the PCA Zone 8 classification rules, which are here:
http://zone8.pca.org/rules/2008/Z8Driving2008.pdf

I read it the same way you do, JS/S + 21-40 points is II. Not sure about how it would work out competitively, but I know the IS guys are crazy fast, at least in San Diego Region, so I wouldn't be too cocky going up against II...
thx! wow, if they are that quick I guess I'll have my work cut out for me this year and I won't be the nascar pcar weiner anymore, lol. actually quite relieved I'm not up against those turbo monsters or the GT2/GT3 rocket sleds.

I still have a few points to "blow" before I get maxed out in the "I" class if those old VW corvairs (hahaha) wipe their butts w/me in el torito - so it should be an interesting season.

guess we'll see on march 16th...

thx again!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 928SS
....then the arrow points DOWN to II class instead of the 2007 JI class box on the same row.
That's correct. Did you miss the 2007 season? There hasn't been a JI class since 2006 in Zone 8. You were in II in 2007 as well as 2008.

...seems kinda hard on those 2.4L guys to have a 400rwhp / 450tq monster w/big brakes/suspension/tires shredding the track at willow.
The dominant car in I class right now is the 3-liter 1978-83 911SC, not the 2.4 from '72-73, which was moved to I class from G a few years ago to protect the 944s that were getting their butts kicked.

An II 911SC placed in the top ten at the last autox at Qualcomm stadium, which is pretty amazing considering how many fast cars in higher classes there were that day. The Zone 8 rules are written for both autox and time trial events at the big tracks, so you may have an advantage at WSIR with all that power, but I wouldn't count on cleaning up at short courses with that shark. What kind of times do you run at Willow Springs?

TT
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

yes, sadly I missed the whole season last year waiting for my motor to be done again/had a head gasket issue and had to OH the whole darn thing. then spent time slapping in better seats/real harnesses and some other goodies (better alignment/corner balancing/new steering stuff/etc) when it became clear the season was toast. but the handling/overall performance seems quite a bit better now I think, for a 3350 lb U Boat anyway

"An II 911SC placed in the top ten at the last autox at Qualcomm stadium...."

uh oh... looks like I'm in for a humbling exp this year. that's pretty much how it seemed to play out in 2006- I did fairly well at willow, then spent the rest of the time getting used as TP by everyone at the smaller tracks.

been a while since I ran, I'd have to find my old sheets. think I was in the top 30% or so overall at willow, and won in my class (but hardly anyone was ever in my class, so that was kinda a running joke/hollow victory)...

w/any luck, I might actually learn something now that I'll be thrown into a really competitive group, should be fun.

are you going to el torito on the 16th? what's the course like there?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 928SS
... for a 3350 lb U Boat anyway
That high weight is the 928's biggest handicap at hustling around a tight autox course. There are very few places to actually use all the power of the V8 engine.

w/any luck, I might actually learn something now that I'll be thrown into a really competitive group.
Besides the I class cars, you will also have to deal with the improved J-class '84-89 Carrera 3.2 and 944 Turbo 2.5 cars, which can be very quick. If you want competition, come down to some of the SDR events @ Qualcomm. It's not too long a drive, and there are some large turnouts (120+ cars per event) including Dr. Greg Phillips, who has a whole fleet of 928s to run against.

are you going to el torito on the 16th? what's the course like there?
Unfortunately, I have a memorial service for a close friend who died of colon cancer that day and won't make it. The OCR events at El Toro are held at the AMCI Drive Center, which they lease for testing cars (until the pending development of the former Marine base will force them out), and it is a very nice venue with lots of room to throw a very challenging course.

Have fun,
TT
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

sorry about the loss... thx for the info! sounds like I'm going to have a loss of my own soon too, lol

best regards!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

yiikes! what a beating I took on that one!! those little rascals are quicker than greased pigs!!

at 1st it was "only" a 2.5 sec difference at 95.7 vs my 97.4 or so. then someone got a wild hair and ran an 84.9sec run... we got shut down for lightening and timing equipment issues plagued us all day, so it's hard to tell if I could have run faster in the final session, but I doubt I could've knocked off 10seconds...

it's gonna be a long season...

Quick Reply: PCA class changes for 08