Notices

autocross info needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 07:30 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Default autocross info needed

ive never autocrossed before, but i would like to.
from my understanding its just a course laid out in cones, right?
ive looked into the PCA and SCCA, do either of these give prizes or winnings for anything?
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:49 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Autocross is a timed competition. Competitors compete for the lowest time over a course defined by a path laid out with cones. While some areas can get you to higher speeds, for most places, the course is run in (mostly) second gear with an occasional touch to the rev limiter of your car. You are ccompeting agains thte clock and you will not be near another car while you are driving.

The course layout changes everytime the event is held. Unlike road racing, where you run the same track time after time, part of the skill for Autocross is learning the fast line quickly as you will have only a few chances to get your best time.

Here in Portland Oregon, SCCA and PCA both run Autocross events (SCCA calls it Solo2). Trophies and bragging rights are the most visible prizes.

It is a heck of lot of fun and you should try it.

Last edited by HarryD; 05-21-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:28 PM
malammik
Racer

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:44 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Hello.
Check out: www.Autocross.us
You just missed one at ACU-4 in Norfolk, next local one is at Pungo in two weeks.
Come on out!
Old 05-22-2007 | 03:45 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Hello.
Check out: www.Autocross.us
You just missed one at ACU-4 in Norfolk, next local one is at Pungo in two weeks.
Come on out!
do i have to be a member? and how much does it cost? id like to take an autocross class before i sign up for an event, but do you think it is neccessary?
Old 05-22-2007 | 05:26 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

No, you don't have to be a member.
Usually an event is around $20.
No school is needed, however they do have them time-to-time.
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:06 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
do either of these give prizes or winnings for anything?
Here in NC with the PCA, plaques are awarded for 1st place in each run group and also for FTD (fastest time of the day) for the men's and the ladies.

A picture is taken of every car while on the track. Before the plaques are awarded, a digital print is made of the winning car and this picture is part of the plaque.

Pretty neat, taking home a plaque with a picture of the car, all done in the same day.

I've only done one autocross and this was earlier this year. My next one is Memorial Day Monday in Asheville, NC.

As an aside, Becca drove my car at this earlier AX and beat my best time by almost a second. She was "slow" and steady, not wanting to "hurt" my car. I was driving the crap out of it. We were both behind the FTD of 3+ seconds. We are hoping to do better Monday.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2007 | 03:51 PM
getfast
Track Day

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
ive never autocrossed before, but i would like to.
from my understanding its just a course laid out in cones, right?
ive looked into the PCA and SCCA, do either of these give prizes or winnings for anything?
Yes it's a course laid out with cones, you drive one at a time against the clock. Top speeds depend upon the course size but are usually in the 60mph range. Sounds slow but it's fun, and a lot harder than it looks.

NASA Mid-Atlantic has an autocross series with prizes at the end of the season. Also the NASA events offer lots of runs (usually at least 8, not the regular 3 or 4 runs with other groups.)

If you are in Newport News you are not far from either of NASA's autocross sites. Next events are June 17 at VMP (Dinwiddie) and August 12 at Langley (Hampton.) Details: http://www.nasaracing.net/autox.htm

Hope it helps,

Jon

Quick Reply: autocross info needed