Notices

Now that the excessive oversteer has gone ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that the excessive oversteer has gone ...

I have a new problem.

At least I know now that the LSD is still working.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM
skeetshooter
Intermediate

Looks like your car is too roll stiff at the front or not roll stiff enough at the rear....

Skeeter
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with Skeeter. Soften the front or stiffen the rear.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually don't think the picture necessarily indicates a problem. Are your times
better than before? The inside lift may have to do with chassis flex, and is a
result of good traction. As others have suggested, you can certainly try softening
the front sway bar and see if you get better results, but this may be how your
car drives the best... What is it actually doing now? Is it pushing at mid-corner
or is it neutral?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I've seen a lot of cars with stiff suspension do this at autox's. It looks cool...but is it necessarily a good or bad thing?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would want some contact patch on both steering tires. I can't help but think that Craig's 944 is pushing in the photo he supplied, as all the weight and contact area is on the outside tire. When autocrossing a RSA, I disconnected the front sway bar to reduce push and make throttle oversteer easier. When autocrossing a 944, I set the front Konis to full soft to reduce push. There would be little concern with a front engine/front drive car when the inside rear lifts, as the rears are just there to keep the tail from dragging on the pavement anyway.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
skeetshooter
Intermediate

I think it is a bad thing. If you car is lifting a tire off the ground in a turn, you are not getting all the traction you could be getting. If your car drives best with a tire in the air, the car has bigger suspension issues...

Skeeter
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chassis flex my ***. You do not want the wheels to lift at AutoX. Craig, the FIRST thing that popped into my head, is that your rear wheels are too narrow and too inset. There is wayyy too much fender gap back there.. (do you have 8's all around just so you can rotate them? bad compromise, imo..) you should throw some 255's on the back, and get the rear camber right to wear the rear tyres evenly.

Your setup from your other post:
Car is a 944S2, caged, 400# front springs, 30mm rear torsion bars, 30mm front sway bar, 20mm rear sway bar. Toed-out in front a bit, toed-in at rear a bit, camber of -2.25 front, -2.75 rear
An ideal 951/S2 AutoX setup from my perspective, would be:

Front:
- 235wide R-compounds in front
- 250-350# front springs. (400 is way too hard)
- Front Camber just shy of maximum, (-2.0 to -3.0) depending on the course...
- 30mm 968m030 front sways,

Rear:
- 255 width R-compounds rear
- 28-30mm rear torsions w/ stiffly valved rear shocks, or, 450# rear coil overs w/ stock torsions.
- Rear sway bar as req'd for rear shocks/springs
- Rear camber -1.5 to -2.0

Don't forget, when you dial in camber, it changes the toe! The toe change doesn't have a huge affect on handling, but it will eat your rubber faster.

My friend Wes Shu is an SCCA National SoloII champ. His trophy winning m030-S2 is parked in my garage.

Rich
pca-cwr autoX chair.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Don't waste too much time playing with tyre pressures. Get them close to where your tyres wear evenly... then use camber/castor/sway to set the overall understeer/oversteer balance of the car. Once the car is almost perfect, then use tyre pressures to fine tune.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Hi Rich:

The tires are an experiment to: 1) see if gearing is more useful than grip, and 2) to set the car up for equal tire sizes.

Normally I run 245/45x16 up front, and 265/45x16 in back. However, I want to try to get away from a staggered setup due to tire limitations in tarmac rally. Thus, I'm not looking for the ideal autox setup.

BTW, when did Wes (Shew, btw) win in Kansas? I've known him for many years, have driven his (former) S2, and I thought he would have e-mailed me if he or the car won Nationals.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Ah yeah, I have his "hot-shu" licence plate stuck in my head, hence the misspell of his last name.. Not sure when, or even what placed. It's in his sig line on some of his emails. He stills owns the car, although it's for sale. He's travelling right now, so I'm looking after it for him.

Anyways, now that we've established that you're not looking for a perfect autoX setup, try puting spacers on the back (are you allowed to?) spacing out the rears will make a big difference.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 08-09-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Now that the excessive oversteer has gone ...