Notices

Tires, Kumho MX vs Fuzion ZRi vs ES100

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires, Kumho MX vs Fuzion ZRi vs ES100

How about a comparo of the under $100 each summer tires? I want something under $100..must come in 225/50/16. They are going to be primarily autocross and summer weather useage.

I was considering the Fuzion ZRi and ES100...also saw the Kumho MX all seem to be fairly comparable in terms of performance and their rating on TireRack. Anyone with experience on these tires?

Some may say i should go with VictoRacers or something for autocross as i have a spare set of everyday wheels...however i dont have the money for a full set ( i could afford the fronts... ). But honestly i still need to learn to drive this car smoothly so i dont destroy the tires in half a season. So id rather get something a bit cheaper to continue improving my driving on, without worrying about destroying a expensive set of tires.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 AM
sbyrne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kuhmo MX and the Falken Azenis 615 are THE tires in the SCCA classes that require street tires. I ran through two sets of the old Falken Azenis 215s with very good results on my former autocross car, and the 615 is supposed to be better. Grassroots Motorsports did a big tire test a few issues back, you might start there.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So i guess i should consider either the Kumho or Falkens. I will probably go with the Kumho MX as they are about $95 at TireRack.Com for the size i am looking for.

The only place i could find that sells the Falken Azenis 615 is Vulcantire.Com . They are $108 each..and apprently the availabilty of more tires in 16-inche sizes is fairly new. (these also appear to be rated #1 by that GrassRoots article). Perhaps as they come more available elsewhere they will be less expensive.

I will probably be buying around mid-June...so i will check back then. Thanks for the suggestions. Depending on price, i think i will try the Falkens. Does anyone have experience running these on the street also? How do they fare with treadwear and in rain?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Not sure about the 615's, but the older 215's were a little dodgy in the rain - one of the reasons for the redesign. I bought mine from Discount Tire.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 AM
2bridges
Drifting

I read a lot of reviews/opinions and experiences when I chose tires
Khumo MX is where I ended up
don't have alot of time with them but so far very pleased.

If you are not already aware... stay away from the other khumo Z rated tires unless your primary factor is the cheapest tire.
The MX is a night and day different tire from the other khumos

Quick Reply: Tires, Kumho MX vs Fuzion ZRi vs ES100