Notices

Best tire pressures for stock tires/suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tire pressures for stock tires/suspension

I/m doing my first autocross with my 968 in a few weeks. I will be running completely stock car with no suspension mods and street tires. Tires are Hankook Ventus HRII in stock sizes.

Any suggestions on what pressures to use or start with,.....or how to determine what the best pressure is?

Brian Collins
Austin TX
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is your first Autocross, tire pressure will not matter much.

Be sure you get an instructor to ride with you until you are comfortable. Before they start the timed runs, they will let you walk the course. Be sure to do so. If you can, go with an experienced person. All you will need to do is to ask someone who apprears experienced to help you out. Most (if not all) will be thrilled to introduce a person to the sport.

Autocross requires several skills to be sucessful. First is finding the course (that's why you walk it). Second is finding the best line (seems simple until you are behind the wheel and that sea of cones attacks you). Finally is all that stuff about when to brake, use the throttle etc.

For tire pressures, start with your street pressure. Put some shoe polish marks on the shoulders of your tires and at the end of your run, look at the marks. The goal is to use the entire tread of the tires. If you look at your sidewalls you will see some small triangles. You should have the polish wiped off only to the point of the triangle. If you go past the triangle, add 3-5 psi to your tires. If you do not reach the triangle, take out 3-5 psi. Remark. At the end of each run check to see how you are doing. Change tire pressure by 3-5 psi increments until it is where you want it.

For my 911, I add about 5 psi with ok results.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Best tire pressures for stock tires/suspension