Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:54 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts
Default GT3 on the Autox Circuit

Hi

Haven't autox'd seriously since about '95. As my '93 RX-7 gained in hp (up to 400 hp at the end), the track suited my ham-fisted driving better. I am now in an '04 GT3, and have taken it out on the track for 2 DEs. The second one brought an $18K repair bill having lost it in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

I've decided to follow the advice I give to most newbies looking to get on the track, that is, spend at least a season on the autox circuit getting good feel for the car. Since the GT3 is the first car that I've had with such a rear weight bias, it's headed for autocrossing for now.

Anyone have basic specs for me, alignment, tire pressures (MPS PS2s and Hoosier Grand Am Cups)? How about any techniques in using the high-winding engine?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Anyone have basic specs for me, alignment, tire pressures (MPS PS2s and Hoosier Grand Am Cups)?
Gary Thomason has now won two straight Pro Solo events in the GT3 in SS, and can probably tell you a thing or two about setting one up, but the first thing he's going to say is get some Kumho V710s for it!

You might try getting hold of him thru AMCI, where he is chief testing engineer.
amciwest@amcimarketing.com

TT
Old 05-28-2005, 04:22 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts
Lightbulb

Actually Tom, Gary only drove the GT3 at the Atwater Pro which he won by app .4 sec. I believe Gary is a contract Kumho driver and as such he is limited in his tire choice. Kumho's in the GT3 size are unobtainium at this time The other GT3 win with a National class driver was at the Atlanta Tour with Ian Stewart codriving my GT3 on Hoosier A3SO5's At the Atlanta Pro my codriver was a good regional driver with no experience in Porsches, he usually drives a SM civic. Me I was just the tire warmer

Peter
who needs to get faster on the 2nd day
Old 05-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Actually Tom, Gary only drove the GT3 at the Atwater Pro which he won by app .4 sec.
Ooopps! You're right. Gary has been driving his Corvette still in SM2 also, and won at Fontana in that car, not the GT3. My bad. And yes, he is a Kumho contract driver, which is why I put the winkie after my V710 statement. He's not going to recommend anything else, that's for sure.

His buddy, James Gunn-Wilkinson, also a Kumho driver, has won 3 straight ProSolos (Fontana, Atwater and Wendover) in Harry Rady's GT2 in ASP, though, also on V710s. More sizes are becoming available all the time, but it is true that these guys get them first, right off the boat.

I have watched them working on the setup on both the GT3 and the GT2 at San Diego events lately, so either one of them could help with advice on how to make the newer chassis faster. I'm an archaic longhood guy myself.

TT

TT

Quick Reply: GT3 on the Autox Circuit