5-point or 6-point for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 5-point or 6-point for autocross?

Hey guys, my friends are trying to convince me to buy 6-point G-Force camlocks for autocrossing. I know 6-points are required for serious competition racing in SCCA, but PCA allows 5-points as a recommended harness for autocrossing. My car is ONLY going to be used for autocrossing so I don't think I'll really make use of 6-points. What do you guys think? Anyone know if the rules will change to 6-points anytime soon????
Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 point vs. 5 point really depends on how/where you mount the sub strap. If using stock seats and sliders, and you don't want to drill a hole through the floor of your car, then 6 points will work sufficiently -- you can mount the sub-belt anchor points underneath the seat rails. (That's my recommendation for you, BTW)

Note that stock seats are NOT ideal for using harnesses, but in autox and DE's there are always compromises.

I have a set of G-force harnesses - they were orignally 6-points, but with the installation of my new race seats, I have converted them to a 5 point setup. The only difference between a 5-point and a 6-point setup in a stock car is that with a 6-point setup, the sub-belt attaches to two separate points, while with a 5-point setup, it is attached to a single point. In either case, there is only one clip that attaches to the camlock.

Hope I didn't confuse the subject for you.
-Z-man.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Sorry Z-man I should have been more specific. I have Corbeau Forza seats in my car and I can drill into the bridge on the bracket underneath the seat to mount a sub strap.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, in that case - if your Corbeau seats have a hold for the sub strap (I think they do), then you are better off with a 5-point vs. a six point -- less rubbing issues for the substrap.

-Z.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I had talked to Corbeau and they said to put a hole in the floor of the car and there is no mounting hole on the bridge. I'd rather drill the bridge for the sub strap any day of the week!

Thanks Z-man for the clarification!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What class are you in for autocross? If you're not highly modified, you should be able to get away with adding a lap belt to keep you in the seat and using the stock 3pt. with inertia reel for the shoulder strap (in essence 2 seat belts).

If you don't have rollover protection don't use a 4 (or 5 or 6) point. They will keep you in the seat which means you will get smooshed instead of doubling over. And where are you mounting the shoulder straps. remember to keep the angle mild to avoid spinal compression.

Quick Reply: 5-point or 6-point for autocross?