Notices

Recommendations needed for a good book on suspension tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations needed for a good book on suspension tuning

I posted this question also on "racing and DE forum", and appologize to those who are reading this for the second time...
///////////////////////////////

I need a good book on suspension tuning. I almost ordered:
"How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn, but after reading the reviews I'm not sure. Supposedly the book feels very outdated (nothing beyond 1980), shock tuning procedure is too simplified, MacPhearson strut not even mentioned, etc.

Do you guys know this book? Or maybe you would recommend a different one?

I'm looking for a book that would give detailed description of tuning the suspension, including the reasoning (some physics included), and it should be applicable to 1983 944. The tuning I'm interested now is for autocross, but also need some info for the future, e.g. for time trials.
Thanks, Stan

P.s. I'm aware of the Excellence article by Jim Pascha, but need more info.

Last edited by Stan944; 08-24-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

The Carole Smith series of books are quite good, such as "Tune to Win".

While it too is a bit old (mine is dated 1978), a lot of the basic theory explained in the book has not really changed much, IMHO. Its really all about weight transfer, and how the various parts and pieces affect weight transfer.

BGL
Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
Is "Tune to win' applicable to the suspension similar to the one of early 944?
The book is probably targeted towards track racing. Is there enough information that is applicable to autocross?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

It is not geared to autocross, nor any particular type suspension design, so it perhaps will not meet your needs. I am not sure I know of a book that is autocross specific, or specific to any particular type of suspension design.

What it does do is look at suspension systems in general for an engineers perspective. That knowledge can be applied to all most any form of competitive driving.

I have Puhn's book, as well as several Carole Smith Books, and also Henry Watts' "Secrets of Solo",a nd another who's title escapes me at the moment. I find that they all offer useful information, but perhaps not what you are looking for.

Best of luck with your search.

BGL
Old 08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply.
I recently bought Henry Watts' "Secrets of Solo" - I find it very informative.
I understand that these books are not specific to 944 suspension. But are they relevant? I'm asking because a while ago I bought a book on "setup tuning" (forgot the exact title), which turned out to be mostly applicable to NASCAR style suspension. Obviously there are huge differences beteen 944 and NASCAR suspension, and only selected concepts from this book can be used for 944.
Does any of these books give procedures on how to e.g. tune adjustable shocks, adjustable sway bars, etc?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

While its been a while since I sat down and read any of the books I own, there are procedures for adjusting dampers and sway bars, but to the best of my recollection, its pretty much geared toward race car suspensions and race track situations.

I personally feel that it all still translates, but there are some areas of solo that may be different, particularly with regard to shocks.

Putting books aside, if you really want to do a deep dive into Solo II car set-up, I hear very good things about these guys:

http://www.autocross.com/evolution/

From the home page, click on the link for "Dial-in". While I have not attended this class, I have done the Phase I and II autocross schools, and they are worth their weight in gold. I have good friends (one a former Pro Solo National Champ) that went to the Dial In school a year or so back, and came back saying it was well worth the money.

Best Regards,

BGL
Old 09-13-2004, 01:18 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always email Henry (Hank) Watts. he is local here in the SF bay area. a great guy! if you need his email PM me and i'll give it you.

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: Recommendations needed for a good book on suspension tuning