Notices

Sad but True

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 12:19 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Everyone always ignores that when the top talent in C6 Z06 is present, AS is just as fast as SS. I was actually surprised at how slow BS was on the actual nationals courses. David Marcus had done a much better job wrecking AS and SS at previous national events.
It's true. Marcus destroyed at the Grissom Champ Tour this year (but Simms was also not there in AS - and he destroyed the prior year)...
Old 09-26-2023, 01:33 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Not sure what point you're trying to make. If a national champion caliber driver could probably trophy, it means the car is not competitive.
You and I don't define competitive. I define a car being competitive as being capable of winning a trophy if driven well without a hero drive (example of hero drive would be Heitkotter performance in STX in a 300ZX). On a larger point, I'm not sure why you work so hard to make obnoxious posts. Most classes have multiple national champs driving same and/or different cars, but only one driver wins that year. It doesn't make the non-identical cars per se non-competitive. By your logic, Yom winning in a 991.1 GT3 would suggest that's the only competitive car, but you can't extrapolate that a GT4, NSX (2020 and 2021), or C8 a number of other cars can't be competitive. I was just saying that his recent pace at recent events were consistently .5 sec faster on a 50 second course than the guy who landed 12th. That would put him at Gaffney's pace around 6th -- in the pack of GT4's -- so fairly competitive.
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (11-13-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 02:10 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So if all you need is a decent driver being capable of a trophy to consider a car competitive in a class, should the c6z06, supra, nd Miata, and maybe the gr86 be in SS? Because all of those cars ran times that would have gotten a trophy in SS. But none of them would have any hope of winning SS without a truly alien driver and the perfect course conditions and I'm pretty sure the owners of those cars would be VERY upset to find them being moved to SS, despite meeting your definition of being competitive in class.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
You and I don't define competitive. I define a car being competitive as being capable of winning a trophy if driven well without a hero drive (example of hero drive would be Heitkotter performance in STX in a 300ZX). On a larger point, I'm not sure why you work so hard to make obnoxious posts. Most classes have multiple national champs driving same and/or different cars, but only one driver wins that year. It doesn't make the non-identical cars per se non-competitive. By your logic, Yom winning in a 991.1 GT3 would suggest that's the only competitive car, but you can't extrapolate that a GT4, NSX (2020 and 2021), or C8 a number of other cars can't be competitive. I was just saying that his recent pace at recent events were consistently .5 sec faster on a 50 second course than the guy who landed 12th. That would put him at Gaffney's pace around 6th -- in the pack of GT4's -- so fairly competitive.
Clark, If you read everything as obnoxious you're always going to feel like it's an argument. I usually try to be a least a little soft with you because I know that you're sensitive and like to talk about how awful I am.
If you were talking about a car that was classed competitively it would have sounded something like: If so and so national champion took one to nationals he would have had a fair chance to win. We're not competing to be top 30% or for trophies at nationals....The competition is to win. But yes I agree that the tesla is competitive to trophy at nationals, and if that's the only bar then yes it is competitive as classed.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:15 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

This is fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by sgreer78:
BmacIL (09-27-2023), RacingChris44 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:32 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

This will get much more fun when solid state batteries are available in 3-7 years (and after the initial "look at our 800 mile range!" approach settles down some). Going to have cars that are only a couple hundred pounds over their ICE equivalents instead of 800+.

​​​​​going to be interesting to see what the 718 electric does, since it will be a true comparison between ev and ice in the same basic chassis.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:01 AM
Grantsfo
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 89 Posts

I was top 5 in an 85 hp Toyota Echo at local pca ax event once.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:37 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Man your PCA events must be less competitive at the pointy end than my area. Often have Rachel Baker and multiple nationals trophy winners at both our PCA and BMW events. Not to mention the local hotshoes that are competitive with them. That said there's definitely a smaller contingent than SCCA. I mostly like them because my 718 GTS is classed out of Rachel's GT4 class in one of our PCA groups 🤣

Last edited by Abt12; 09-28-2023 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:41 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Abt12
Man your PCA events must be less competitive at the pointy end than my area. Often have Rachel Baker and multiple nationals trophy winners at both our PCA and BMW events. That said there's definitely a smaller contingent than SCCA. I mostly like them because my 718 GTS is classed out of Rachel's GT4 class in one of our PCA groups 🤣
Generally yes. I can usually clean up all but maybe 1 person, sometimes all, at PCA events and I'm not Dan Simms (nor is the 997.1 a C6Z).
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (11-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Sad but True