Two killed at SCCA Autorcross

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 04:17 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,433 Likes on 1,547 Posts
Default Two killed at SCCA Autorcross

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...sh-washington/

These are usually such safely run events, what a tragedy...Having done hundreds of autocrosses myself - and these people were experienced - I have to think one of the cars had total brake failure.

Last edited by drcollie; 07-18-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:21 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...sh-washington/

These are usually such safely run events, what a tragedy...Having done hundreds of autocrosses myself - and these people were experienced - I have to think one of the cars had total brake failure.
No. It had nothing to do with what you could account for in course layout, tech, etc. This was a freak, tragic incident. One of the drivers had a medical incident while on course and lost the ability to control the car.
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 07:13 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 153 Posts

Sad situation but as BmacIl noted there was a medical situation and unfortunately it occurred at a critical time. Tough for the families and to many of us this also means the Autocross Family. Word has spread quickly as this is unexpected and hard to comprehend but they will be missed and remembered.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:52 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BmacIL
No. It had nothing to do with what you could account for in course layout, tech, etc. This was a freak, tragic incident. One of the drivers had a medical incident while on course and lost the ability to control the car.
That was the first thing I thought of. Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon. I know of two (adult male) driver fatalities due to the same cause, one at an autocross and one at a hill-climb. Both cases the car sped straight off the course until it hit something solid.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:42 PM
arthurc604
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For those interested, there has been some discussions here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../256792/page1/
Old 07-19-2023, 06:20 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by edfishjr
That was the first thing I thought of. Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon. I know of two (adult male) driver fatalities due to the same cause, one at an autocross and one at a hill-climb. Both cases the car sped straight off the course until it hit something solid.
Maybe not, but in terms of statistically per autocross run around the country, it is not common and is not something you can really protect for practically.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:39 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BmacIL
Maybe not, but in terms of statistically per autocross run around the country, it is not common and is not something you can really protect for practically.
I don't expect that will be the position taken by the attorney for the deceased's family in court and that argument may just convince a judge (or civil jury) that the sport cannot be saved from itself.

I do fear a few years of litigation, which will likely prominently feature multiple letters from SCCA members complaining about a history of a lack of following proper Safety protocols at events (such as the letter I submitted no more than two weeks ago about the Bristol Pro-Solo... I think my words were "someone is going to get killed", followed by a large settlement from the SCCA, and after which Solo may never be the same again.

I am not saying that anything was done "wrong" at Packwood, unlike Bristol. I wasn't there. As far as I can tell from run videos everything was normal w/r/t speeds, run-off room, etc. But that is not necessarily a good thing. Nothing to point to and say, "That was the problem. We can fix it."

The SCCA position will be that "racing" is inherently dangerous, everyone signed a waiver, spectators were not allowed, and the courts should stay out of it, as the judicial system in the US basically has when it comes to road-racing incidents, not wanting to get involved at any level. I think it likely that the SCCA will lose that argument re Solo.

The best we can hope for is that the SCCA doesn't try to fight it and settles early, even though they may have to become self-insured. The future of Solo may, in the end, rest in K&K's hands as much as any other party.

Last edited by edfishjr; 07-20-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,163 Likes on 5,286 Posts

I don't expect that will be the position taken by the attorney for the deceased's family in court and that argument may just convince a judge (or civil jury) that the sport cannot be saved from itself.

I do fear a few years of litigation, which will likely prominently feature multiple letters from SCCA members complaining about a history of a lack of following proper Safety protocols at events (such as the letter I submitted no more than two weeks ago about the Bristol Pro-Solo... I think my words were "someone is going to get killed", followed by a large settlement from the SCCA, and after which Solo may never be the same again.

I am not saying that anything was done "wrong" at Packwood, unlike Bristol. I wasn't there. As far as I can tell from run videos everything was normal w/r/t speeds, run-off room, etc. But that is not necessarily a good thing. Nothing to point to and say, "That was the problem. We can fix it."

The SCCA position will be that "racing" is inherently dangerous, everyone signed a waiver, spectators were not allowed, and the courts should stay out of it, as the judicial system in the US basically has when it comes to road-racing incidents, not wanting to get involved at any level. I think it likely that the SCCA will lose that argument re Solo.

The best we can hope for is that the SCCA doesn't try to fight it and settles early, even though they may have to become self-insured. The future of Solo may, in the end, rest in K&K's hands as much as any other party.
What are you talking about?

The driver had a heart attack in the car.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:36 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Can't really practically prevent the scenario that happened without complete isolation of course from grid/paddock with hard barriers or structures. Even then it would likely have been 1 fatality not two. The world is litigation-happy and hopefully sense prevails.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:49 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 204 Posts

The cause of the loss of control on course will only be speculation until an autopsy, and may never be known. One thing that’s pretty well documented is that the toilets were in the finish chute. In hind sight this was a bad play even if they met some distance rule. The finish area has shown time and time again to be a fast part of the solo course, with wide open throttle being typical. This exact case may have been a freak accident, but there are at least a handful of ways a car ends up in that toilet without a medical issue. It’s easy to see in hind sight, but if we all sit on our hands and say “there’s absolutely nothing that could have been done to improve this situation” then we’re not likely to turn tragedy into foresight. A bathroom is a place where you have no orientation to what’s happening on course, and no way to escape. They may all need to be much much further from course, even if it’s inconvenient. There are a lot of people with their brains not engaged on this one. I was glad to see at least some decent discussion on the grassroots page.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:25 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What are you talking about?

The driver had a heart attack in the car.
You don't know that.
In any case, driver incapacitation has happened with fatal consequences before and it will happen again. A completely predictable, known hazard, even if very rare.
You know what happens when an organization (such as Boeing, who I used to work for) ignores a predictable, known to occur, hazard and takes no action to reduce its chance of occurrence or reduce the effects when it does happen?
You lose in court.

Last edited by edfishjr; 07-20-2023 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 204 Posts

You don't know that.
In any case, driver incapacitation has happened with fatal consequences before and it will happen again. A completely predictable, known hazard, even if very rare.
You know what happens when an organization (such as Boeing, who I used to work for) ignores a predictable, known to occur, hazard and takes no action to reduce its chance of occurrence or reduce the effects when it does happen?
You lose in court.
The thing that keeps popping up in the back of my head is medical checkups. Road racing requires them, and the consequences (to others) for a driver passing out seem quite a bit lower there. I’m not sure I want medicals, but it seems like something that could loom if we can’t address unexpected loss of consciousness on course. It would probably be bad for participation, especially if national and regional participation couldn’t have separate requirements.
The following 2 users liked this post by Auto_Werks 3.6:
911Königin (07-20-2023), Tompoodie (10-30-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 02:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,163 Likes on 5,286 Posts

You don't know that.
You lose in court.
Been there, done that.

Did not lose in court.

If I was SCCA, I would be suing the family.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:45 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
The thing that keeps popping up in the back of my head is medical checkups. Road racing requires them, and the consequences (to others) for a driver passing out seem quite a bit lower there. I’m not sure I want medicals, but it seems like something that could loom if we can’t address unexpected loss of consciousness on course. It would probably be bad for participation, especially if national and regional participation couldn’t have separate requirements.
Pilots have to be medically cleared............

Praying the families will be able to find some peace.

Last edited by 911Königin; 07-20-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:32 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,433 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
just two weeks ago I had a small stroke on the way home from work (in my Porsche) due to what turned out to be a blood pressure spike that affected my right eye. Everything went double vision and I made it home, but just barely. So stuff does happen, and you can’t always prevent everything no matter how much you plan or anticipate. It’s like a deer strike on the highway, it just happens. Bad luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
BmacIL (07-21-2023), justint5387 (07-21-2023), Tompoodie (02-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Two killed at SCCA Autorcross