Notices

Bristol Champ Tour Porsche Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021 | 03:41 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burglar
Ha, I hated the Chicago courses. A collection of random, un-memorizable curves that varied only slightly from one another with a few actual autocross elements inserted here or there. Annoying, unnecessarily pinchy starts. You can negate launch advantage without a 1 lane wide 120° turn that you have to worry about surviving the first cone on the course.

Didn't make it to Bristol this year, but yeah, average speeds tend to run a little higher than I like there. But I like that venue so much I let it slide
I'm very good friends with Chris Perry, the course designer. He ran up to me to walk course after it had been set to get my thoughts. I told him that the start sucked (both days) and while the course looked "fine", it wasn't really representative of a Chris Perry course (usually high risk/high reward) and looked to be more a conformity to what he thought the SCCA wanted to see. While his feelings were a bit ruffled, he agreed and promised it flowed better in reverse, which it did. So with that said, I'd agree. The powers that be really don't need a painful double pinch just to prove it's not a drag start. That said, my car was an miserable understeering pig that weekend so I can't blame my results on his courses.

Last edited by Z3papa; 07-08-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2021 | 04:22 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by Z3papa
I'm very good friends with Chris Perry, the course designer. He ran up to me to walk course after it had been set to get my thoughts. I told him that the start sucked (both days) and while the course looked "fine", it wasn't really representative of a Chris Perry course (usually high risk/high reward) and looked to be more a conformity to what he thought the SCCA wanted to see. While his feelings were a bit ruffled, he agreed and promised it flowed better in reverse, which it did. So with that said, I'd agree. The powers that be really don't need a painful double pinch just to prove it's not a drag start. That said, my car was an miserable understeering pig that weekend so I can't blame my results on his courses.
Chris co-drove with me in my 2015 Mustang. Even in that massive, heavy car I liked both courses and didn't find them too pinched or tight or lacking flow. It definitely drove better Sunday, but both were good. The car was setup well, so that helps. From what I saw, most of the folks complaining never figured either course out.
Old 07-08-2021 | 04:24 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by edfishjr
A friend is registered for our event on the 18th in his 2005 997.1, completely stock except with replacement engine and, I think, some random set of old Pirellis on it. He's a rank novice, but I'll probably get a ride in it.

Come to think of it, it's classed in BSP like the MSM I'm driving, so maybe he'll let me throw my numbers on it and take it for one of my runs.
Mine will be stock except for RE71Rs.
Old 07-08-2021 | 06:05 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Dean, nice to meet you in person finally! Wish I had more time to talk to both you and Ed. Maybe we can grab some beers at nats.
Beers at Nat's it is! I'll need them to drown the memories of being left in the dust by Tony and Marcus and I'm sure quite a few others. Will be interesting to see how Tony does in Colton's GT350 there.

Wish I'd had a chance to meet Ed too and thank him for his insightful autocross emails etc, didn't realize he was there. I now know the MSM I was admiring in paddock was his.

Old 09-16-2021 | 06:22 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Bristol was fun! Ended up running the softer setting on the DSC Controller and it made the car much faster on day 2.

The following users liked this post:
JP4931 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021 | 07:03 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeKuhnRacing
Bristol was fun! Ended up running the softer setting on the DSC Controller and it made the car much faster on day 2.

"Sir, how much front bar do you have?"

"All of it"
Old 09-17-2021 | 11:57 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

<edit: responded in another thread>

Last edited by sjfehr; 09-18-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Bristol Champ Tour Porsche Report