Notices

First SCCA DE Event

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 12:55 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First SCCA DE Event

I attended my first ever DE event today. What luck I had as my SCCA instructor was Rennlist member PedalFaster.

His teaching style is outstanding! He rode with me and coached me thru every turn.

It was a real bonus to find out that Pedal Faster also has a 944 that he will compete with on the National Level.

I quickly found out that the 944 is really a capable car in its stock form (at least for a Novice Driver).

The only improvements that I'll make on the car are new tires. I've learned from the Rennlist that the real improvements come from the driver learning how to drive!

Michael
Old 03-28-2004, 03:47 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this on Rennlist, but I actually drive an S2000 in national-level competition, not the 951.

Glad you had fun Michael. You're off to a good start, now the trick is just to keep working at it to hone your skills. Hope to see you again out there...

Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
ccannon968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first also!

I just did my first SCCA Autocross 10 days ago as well. Placed 117th out of 130, in 'light rain' that I would have called 'pouring'.

My teammates referred to my driving style as 'ginger', but I got faster each time (and took the generous SCCA offer of an instructor each time), and I came away hooked. Next one is next Sunday.

The pre-race inspection showed excessive play in my wheel bearings, so I replaced them over the weekend, and this time I'll have my own helmet.

Chris Cannon
'92 968 Coupe
Old 04-15-2004, 01:05 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tech at my first autocross found my front wheel bearings "loose" also. I tightened them and the next day passed inspection. The following week I went to a High Performance School (SCCA) and after that day the bearings were slightly loose again. I tightened up the clamp to where you have to put slight force on the washer to move it side to side. I also repacked the bearings with Mobile Synthetic Bearing Grease and after this weekend I’ll find out if they “loosen up” again.

After the race day I found that the front rotors had fractures on both of them I put new rotors (Zimmerman) on and replaced the Pagid pads with PBR Deluxe.

I also bought a set of Fuchs 7JX15 rims with Falken Ziex ZE502 (215/60/15) (1,500 miles on them) mounted for $400 and the guy threw in a pair of 8JX16 Fuchs rims with 4 original wheel locks. He is also getting me two more 8JX16 Fuchs rims.

Michael
Old 04-15-2004, 05:18 PM
ccannon968
Intermediate

I'm a big fan of not having to do the same repair twice, so I went the other route and replaced the bearings and seal the first time. I was a little intimidated of trying to bang out the existing races without a bearing puller, so I took it to an auto shop. There, of course, they have all the correct gear, and the guy banged them out with a hammer and punch. At least I got to watch. I'll know how next time.

The bearings are pretty cheap, at 2 x $8.75, 2 x $7.50 and 2 x $4.25 for the seals at Pelican Parts.

My fear is that I've over-tightened. Once I stuck the locking-washer on it just went 'squish' into some of the grease and didn't move, regardless of whether the clamp was on tight or not. I tightened them down to 'snug' or 'finger tight' using the allen wrench to rotate the clamp and called it done. The wheel and the disc's center didn't get hot after 100 miles at highway speeds, so I'm hoping I got it right.

Hopefully the same SCCA inspector will be at this weekends' event. He was an ex-968 owner, and obviously familiar with my car.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 PM
ccannon968
Intermediate

Default Spoke too soon

After 300 highway miles, one of the new wheel bearings needed tightening at last Sundays' autocross.

It wasn't nearly as much play as there had been before. They passed me through tech inspection without a comment, but I could feel it move anyway.

Quick Reply: First SCCA DE Event