2019 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
Here's me getting positively smoked by Danny Kao in his GTR last month to the tune of 1.2 sec. I made a right mess of the big slippery skidpad/sweeper, but I was well behind before that.

I don't have data so I tend to make side/side comparisons of my own runs or mine vs others to try and see where the time comes from/goes. Youtube lets you watch at half speed, which is a helpful learning tool too. If anyone knows of better free software than iMovie for making side/side video like this, let me know. The iMovie crop kind of sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBm2Ue9GO88
Being 1.5 seconds off Danny isn't too bad. If I were running your car I would want it to be a little more progressive from the rear so that I could use off throttle to drive into some of the tighter stuff where you're putting the largest wheel inputs in. It sounds really unhappy when it's bound up like that and the front end isn't working. The slide in the big sweeper was a little dramatic looking, but actually didn't seem to cost you much time. Are you running RE71r s?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Thanks! that week was ~30/180 on pax. This past weekend we were at toledo again and got down to ~20/185, so there's still learning to be done. We took the car to finger lakes this year and I was about 1.25 seconds per day off the winner.... which was sufficient for last place in a class of about 9, so the national competition is pretty fierce.
Up here where I live.......30 cars is a pretty big turnout. A few years ago I went to the Canadian Nationals and there was about 100 entries.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's me getting positively smoked by Danny Kao in his GTR last month to the tune of 1.2 sec. I made a right mess of the big slippery skidpad/sweeper, but I was well behind before that.

I don't have data so I tend to make side/side comparisons of my own runs or mine vs others to try and see where the time comes from/goes. Youtube lets you watch at half speed, which is a helpful learning tool too. If anyone knows of better free software than iMovie for making side/side video like this, let me know. The iMovie crop kind of sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBm2Ue9GO88

Love that spot at 30s where the shortest line is thru the grass!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Great driving! Really interesting observation about oversteer as rotation and the difference in time. Data is so nice for breaking that down, I need to suck it up and invest in some. My own anecdotal "evidence" is that my fastest runs are where the car FEELS like it is moving around a small amount constantly and I'm unwinding some lock ahead of the car(not quite opposite lock, more like neutral steering?) on entry or exit, but then later looks pretty planted/undramatic on video after the run. Runs where I'm sliding to the point where it looks very obvious on video and Im needing opposite lock are actually slower. Do you think the latter camp is where your co-driver was?
If it feels completely in control, you're not going fast enough!

This was the first time my codriver had driven a 987, so he was learning it every run, and I'm sure would be faster with more practice in the car because he's an extremely good driver. He wasn't drifting corners, they were definitely the "fast" kind of rotation where he steered with the throttle, not the wheel. You can't even really see it at all in the video, but I could see it watching him drive, and it showed up clearly in the data logging as RPMs increasing markedly compared to my runs, while the throttle body actually reduced throttle as the rear tires both broke traction. He would get on the throttle very early, near the apex, while I don't generally add throttle until I'm unwinding the wheel at corner exit. VERY interesting data- and why I sprung for RaceCapture the night before. PFTuning is local, and hand-delivered to me on-site and even set it all up for me in my car while I was setting up the event, so props to PFTuning for the help! I was on the cusp of buying it already, and this pushed me over, hah. I learn something new every time a fast friend codrives with me, even moreso with great data.

My wife and daughter codrove with us, too, and loved solostorm, so I'm going to be out another $200 to buy that now, too. lol, first world problems. Gonna need to sell some more tire blankets!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At Poconos raceway infield autocrossing with the NEPA SCCA. So much fun. I probably had just enough gearing to stay in 2nd but I'd be riding the limiter. An early shift to 3rd to keep the RPMs a bit lower to save the engine was the smarter move IMO.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:42 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

That was a fun looking course, Steguis!

We had a new local site today, a mall we haven't been able to run at since the blue laws were lifted, but has recently closed. I had some serious concerns for the course, but all ended well fortunately, and I pulled out top pax for the event

Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 PM
sholzer
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Local BMW club had an event today. First in the GT4 and it was a blast. Good enough for top pax at the event

Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 PM
steguis
Advanced

Originally Posted by sholzer
Local BMW club had an event today. First in the GT4 and it was a blast. Good enough for top pax at the event

https://youtu.be/lrVzvr0d2Ag
Ugh GT4s sound so good.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 PM
steguis
Advanced

Had STX National Champ James Tatad codrive with me yesterday at the NNJR PCA/SCCA Autocross at Poconos Raceway. Fun little battle with only 0.1 seconds between us. Interesting seeing how we were trading times and top speeds during the run but ended up so close at the finish.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sholzer

https://youtu.be/lrVzvr0d2Ag
Bummed I missed this event, saw your time was only a couple hundreds off Rusty for FTD *thumbsup*

The lot looks like it's gotten a little faster/fun in spite of the new surface. It was ridiculously slippery when I was there with CDC a couple months ago.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 AM
sholzer
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Bummed I missed this event, saw your time was only a couple hundreds off Rusty for FTD *thumbsup*

The lot looks like it's gotten a little faster/fun in spite of the new surface. It was ridiculously slippery when I was there with CDC a couple months ago.
Hey hey! It was still super slick, kind of had to play with the car to get find the grip levels hence all the sawing at the wheel ha. But yea FTD was actually Cody in Rusty's car in SSR trim, so I'll take it being on re71s and my first time autocrossing in months
Old 06-26-2019, 08:48 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If it feels completely in control, you're not going fast enough!

This was the first time my codriver had driven a 987, so he was learning it every run, and I'm sure would be faster with more practice in the car because he's an extremely good driver. He wasn't drifting corners, they were definitely the "fast" kind of rotation where he steered with the throttle, not the wheel. You can't even really see it at all in the video, but I could see it watching him drive, and it showed up clearly in the data logging as RPMs increasing markedly compared to my runs, while the throttle body actually reduced throttle as the rear tires both broke traction. He would get on the throttle very early, near the apex, while I don't generally add throttle until I'm unwinding the wheel at corner exit. VERY interesting data- and why I sprung for RaceCapture the night before. PFTuning is local, and hand-delivered to me on-site and even set it all up for me in my car while I was setting up the event, so props to PFTuning for the help! I was on the cusp of buying it already, and this pushed me over, hah. I learn something new every time a fast friend codrives with me, even moreso with great data.

My wife and daughter codrove with us, too, and loved solostorm, so I'm going to be out another $200 to buy that now, too. lol, first world problems. Gonna need to sell some more tire blankets!

Kudos to Peter Florance " PF Tuning" in Virginia Beach !

He's a great guy
The following users liked this post:
sjfehr (07-03-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 302 Posts

This was my first run in the GT4 a few weeks ago. This was on stock alignment, (unknown numbers, but toe plates tell me 1/8" toe in up front and 1/4" toe in out back), and on PS4S's

I have real autocross wheels coming my way and alignment shims ready to go.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Being 1.5 seconds off Danny isn't too bad. If I were running your car I would want it to be a little more progressive from the rear so that I could use off throttle to drive into some of the tighter stuff where you're putting the largest wheel inputs in. It sounds really unhappy when it's bound up like that and the front end isn't working. The slide in the big sweeper was a little dramatic looking, but actually didn't seem to cost you much time. Are you running RE71r s?
Just now saw this, sorry on the delayed response! Yep, running RE71R. Before this autocross I changed the alignment to try and allow me to lean on the rear end on faster courses, especially in transitions and slaloms. It was aligned last year for better rotation in slow corners, but that made it really, really loose on faster ones. I should be able to use the brakes to get the car rotating on entry and mitigate the current understeer, but below a certain speed this is really hard to do. Seems like the last 3 courses I've run on have had a lot of slow corners and low grip surfaces, so I haven't been able to test out how much better it is/isn't now on fast corners. I think the only true solution to this stability vs rotation dilemma is to just get a mid-engined Porsche haha
Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

I think the only true solution to this stability vs rotation dilemma is to just get a mid-engined Porsche haha
Switching to the BFG rival S 1.5 solved most of that problem for us. I'd like to never take another autocross run on an RE71r after we made the switch. Night and day difference on drivability of the car.

Quick Reply: 2019 Autocross Videos