Notices

2019 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:13 PM
ghartke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, Brooks! I've been hoping we'd be able to entice you out to some of our events when you had the time. I'm big on generating synergy between POT and CHS since we're so close together - it only helps both chapters.The AX during PorscheFest at Summit Point should be interesting. We're going to see if we can generate a little friendly chapter vs chapter competition at the event. The hardest part is going to be enticing plenty of CHS members to make the drive out for this one. We'll see what we can do!

Regards,

Greg
Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by steguis
NJ ProSolo win this weekend:
Congrats on the bump-class win!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:08 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steguis
NJ ProSolo win this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jYU38RgIks
Nice driving! That right side looks BUMPY near the finish
Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A local event at Michelin's Proving Grounds (The Black Lake) yesterday, here in South Carolina. Fairly small event but some great talent to compare myself and the car to. It was my 2nd event in the car, running SS. First video is my best run (55.488) and the 2nd video is of last years AS National Champion, Bill Bostic, who also took top PAX with a 52.860 raw. Feel free to critique.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
A local event at Michelin's Proving Grounds (The Black Lake) yesterday, here in South Carolina. Fairly small event but some great talent to compare myself and the car to. It was my 2nd event in the car, running SS. First video is my best run (55.488) and the 2nd video is of last years AS National Champion, Bill Bostic, who also took top PAX with a 52.860 raw. Feel free to critique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWGBg-Ij8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GXNXMMvaA
Nice run you did there. And kind of brave of you to post Bostic's run along with yours... he's really so good. I wouldn't want to critique your run... just compare to Bostic. Maybe notice the extreme speed with which he turns the wheel at certain points.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Nice run you did there. And kind of brave of you to post Bostic's run along with yours... he's really so good. I wouldn't want to critique your run... just compare to Bostic. Maybe notice the extreme speed with which he turns the wheel at certain points.
Brave? Nah. I know Bill is really good. He's exactly the type of guy I need to be chasing. My goal in autocrossing the 718 CS in SS is to see if I can be competitive with it at a national level. If I can't even sniff Bill's times locally, then I know I won't be chasing trophies nationally. And if he or anyone can point out some things for me to work on, I'm all for it. Part of why I love the sport of autocross is the camaraderie and desire to help each other learn and get better.

Fair observation on his aggressiveness on turn-in, particularly on the transitional stuff, compared to mine. Thanks! After reviewing video, I'd definitely try to shave a little distance on slaloms and attack those harder. That's what this car is so good at, anyway. I think I also need to be a little more patient (slow-in, fast-out) on elements like the first right-hand "sweeper" at ~14 seconds in to my video. I think I could have cut a little more distance on entry, and gotten on the gas sooner on exit, if I were more careful and placed the car better through there. Same situation at the exit of the big decreasing-radius sweeper at the far end of the course.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:07 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718

First. Wow. That location looks amazing for autocross.

Second, your run looked very solid, congrats! However, Bill was closer to the cones and seemed to be better at car placement. He's probably doing a better job at looking further ahead and can get on the gas a bit earlier. These are the areas I struggle with myself.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:49 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Here is my fastest dirty run 57.8 (+1) from South Jersey SCCA Event #2. I ended the day with a 57.9 clean, but my camera battery died before the run. Not my best driving, but overall a fun event. I ended up 3rd in PAX and needed another second or so to get to 1st. I left at least .5 on the table, but don't know if I could have gotten down to a 56.X.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:35 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by chriswd62
First. Wow. That location looks amazing for autocross.

Second, your run looked very solid, congrats! However, Bill was closer to the cones and seemed to be better at car placement. He's probably doing a better job at looking further ahead and can get on the gas a bit earlier. These are the areas I struggle with myself.
Yeah, that site is ~40 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, the cost to rent the site, plus the fact that it's basically in the middle of nowhere for most people means that it's only used 3 or 4 times per year. It's super smooth, though not very grippy. It's SO flat that it always has some grit on the surface, as rain water doesn't drain off and carry it away. It literally creates a "Black Lake," when wet.

I agree on both of your comments. Gotta get closer to the cones and position the car better to allow an earlier throttle.

The car is definitely understeering a bit more than I'd like. I'm still on the alignment that the car came with in December, as I haven't had it on a rack yet. It tracks very straight and tire wear seems as I'd expect from a factory spec. I'm thinking before the next event I may take it to go full neg-camber and maybe a touch of toe-out up front.

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Here is my fastest dirty run 57.8 (+1) from South Jersey SCCA Event #2. I ended the day with a 57.9 clean, but my camera battery died before the run. Not my best driving, but overall a fun event. I ended up 3rd in PAX and needed another second or so to get to 1st. I left at least .5 on the table, but don't know if I could have gotten down to a 56.X.
That site looks pretty nice also. A little bumpy in some sections, but a nice fast course that has a pretty good mix of elements, which are sometimes hard to come by on airport sites. Congrats on another high PAX finish!
Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I broke down and bought RaceCapture Mk2 today. Man, it's nice to have such high quality data available! I codrove today with an old friend (and national champion) who was in town and it was super interesting going through the data. And yes, I did manage to stave off the embarrassment of being beaten in my own car (I took top pax for the event and coned away FTD). One takeaway is how much time he gave up every time the car got loose: his preference for rotating through corners cost him nearly a full second by the end of the run. But there were also places on course he was a few tenths faster than me, and was super interesting breaking down the whys and hows.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I broke down and bought RaceCapture Mk2 today. Man, it's nice to have such high quality data available! I codrove today with an old friend (and national champion) who was in town and it was super interesting going through the data. And yes, I did manage to stave off the embarrassment of being beaten in my own car (I took top pax for the event and coned away FTD). One takeaway is how much time he gave up every time the car got loose: his preference for rotating through corners cost him nearly a full second by the end of the run. But there were also places on course he was a few tenths faster than me, and was super interesting breaking down the whys and hows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqse0ZsC5eg
Great driving! Really interesting observation about oversteer as rotation and the difference in time. Data is so nice for breaking that down, I need to suck it up and invest in some. My own anecdotal "evidence" is that my fastest runs are where the car FEELS like it is moving around a small amount constantly and I'm unwinding some lock ahead of the car(not quite opposite lock, more like neutral steering?) on entry or exit, but then later looks pretty planted/undramatic on video after the run. Runs where I'm sliding to the point where it looks very obvious on video and Im needing opposite lock are actually slower. Do you think the latter camp is where your co-driver was?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Still learning the new car, so there is definitely some slop in this run. The GT3 has so many more ***** to turn that my aircooled car had, so even setting up the stock parts has been more involved.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Still learning the new car, so there is definitely some slop in this run.
That looks like a good run.....nice and close to the cones
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Here's me getting positively smoked by Danny Kao in his GTR last month to the tune of 1.2 sec. I made a right mess of the big slippery skidpad/sweeper, but I was well behind before that.

I don't have data so I tend to make side/side comparisons of my own runs or mine vs others to try and see where the time comes from/goes. Youtube lets you watch at half speed, which is a helpful learning tool too. If anyone knows of better free software than iMovie for making side/side video like this, let me know. The iMovie crop kind of sucks

Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaPaul
That looks like a good run.....nice and close to the cones
Thanks! that week was ~30/180 on pax. This past weekend we were at toledo again and got down to ~20/185, so there's still learning to be done. We took the car to finger lakes this year and I was about 1.25 seconds per day off the winner.... which was sufficient for last place in a class of about 9, so the national competition is pretty fierce.

Quick Reply: 2019 Autocross Videos