Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Scosche IPFMRDS Iphone Modulator - Need some help

Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Scosche IPFMRDS Iphone Modulator - Need some help

Hey guys, wondering if I am missing something obvious or if anyone with more wiring / electrical experience than me may be able to give me some advice.

I purchased a Scosche IPFMRDS fm modulator from a local RL'er - it was working perfectly fine when removed from his car and immediately given to me. Here's the unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ib6y0d4...e-IPFMRDS.html

Here's the installation manual: http://www.carid.com/images/scosche/...structions.pdf

I have used the empty cell phone adapter behind the dash as my +12V constant (black / green) and switching +12V (red/green) sources. I've tapped into the thick ground cable from the CDR23 head unit as it was quite a bit thicker than the ground on the cell phone wiring harness.

The unit has power; my cell phone charges when I turn on the ignition, and stops charging when I switch the key to off.

My problem is that the unit is not 'tripping on' when I connect a source. I assume the cable is OK as the phone is charging, but when playing music from the source (I've tried my iphone and an ipod), the music plays locally on the device as if it wasn't connected to anything. I've checked, double and triple checked all connections and jumper pin position on the modulator, antenna connections etc... I assume that even if there was a problem with the antenna adapters ie they were defective, the Ipod or Iphone would still realize they are connected to an external source? That's not happening, other than the phone charges that's the extent of what happens on the phone or ipod.

My understanding on how these work is that they are dormant when no source is connected, allowing you to listen to FM radio like normal. When you connect a source to the input cable, it's supposed to automatically come online and interrupt the FM antenna which is routed into and out of the modulator. That initial 'trip on' doesn't appear to be occurring.

So considering I do have power through the modulator and cable to my phone and it's charging, what would you check next based on the issue I'm experiencing?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Cheers
Old 07-19-2015, 02:44 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Problem solved. It was the generic 30pin to lightning adapter, bought the Apple version and voila.

Last edited by cstyles; 07-19-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:01 PM
mannn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how good is this in comparison to Griffin iTrip?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scosche IPFMRDS Iphone Modulator - Need some help