Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Go Pro Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Getgone
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Pro Cameras

Need a little advise regarding Go Pros, or other alternatives. Based on limited research, looks like the "Silver Edition" 3 plus Go Pro is the latest and greatest. I have no prior experience with these things, but would like to record some DE events. Any pros/cons with this particular camera? Maybe there are alternatives out there for my application that some can suggest? Suction mounts vs. roll bar mounts, camera angles and settings?

Many thanks for suggestions.

Getgone
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Getgone
Rennlist Member

Test
Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We use the GP1, GP2, and GP3 in customer cars here at the shop. The go pro is a great camera for what it is. You can mount it in the cockpit, outside the cockpit, etc. The way the lens is set up, if you mount it behind the driver as on a rollbar, everything looks far away. So that car you were chasing and really close to, looks a mile away. The newest one does seem to have the crappiest battery lifespan, but I think it also shoots higher resolution which is probably why. I usually set everything to 720 anyway so we can fit more on SD cards. You will want at least a 64gb memory card.

You'll still have the.....oops forgot to charge the battery....oops sd card is full....oops forgot to turn the camera on, oops it was on picture mode, why the f didn't it record that time....etc days.

I am suppose to be getting one of the garmin cameras to try one of these days. I find that camera interesting as it has GPS built in, so it will start recording once the car starts moving, rather than having to turn it on yourself and make sure it is working. Doesn't look as versatile for mounting like the gopro though.

We have used a smarty cam in the past as well which I thought took great video, but was a real pain to try and get turned on when it was in it's mount on the rollbar.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Getgone
Rennlist Member

Great info. Doc. Thanks for the response and will be curious to learn how the Garmin works out for you.

Getgone

Quick Reply: Go Pro Cameras