Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

connecting a receiver to an amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default connecting a receiver to an amplifier

My friend is gave me his old NAD system, nice stuff with PSB surround speakers. It has an AV 714 received and 214 amplifier. He couldn't remember how it was hooked up originally.

There is a set of RCA inputs to the back of the amp but no particular outputs from the receiver? What am I missing? Does the speaker connection on the receiver need to cross over to the RCA jacks????? What am I missing?

The single mono output goes to the sub right now and maybe that should somehow go to the dual on the amp but that seems to defeat the left/right crossover idea.

Thanks all?
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use one of the tape loops to feed the amp if the receiver doesn't have any per-outs not shown in your picture. Keep the mono for the sub.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Really? Is that like in the "old" days you could record while listening to the radio? So the record side of the tape is an out feed all the time even if "tape" isn't selected?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is correct, same with the out on video 2 - it was made to record to a VCR. I don't know that both tape loops are like a " monitor" where they have a constant output even when not selected. On the 716, the tape 2 is connected to whatever the main source is at the time. I.e. tape 1 can record a different source than what is being listened to on the main outs.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

What exactly are you trying accomplish by connecting the receiver to the amp?
Use it as a pre? Processor? Tuner?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Little extra power to the speakers. Look is like I may use the headphonejack to power them. Tape jack does not allow for volume control.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is a problem with that option.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a Carver Audio converter that is made to accomplish just what you are looking to do. I could look for it if you are interested. I used it to run a receiver through a Carver amp before I could afford a proper pre-amp and tuner. That was my beginnings of hi-fi and seperates, one piece at a time!

You maintain all controls of the receiver with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Cool, let me know if you find it. For now its my garage/poolside system. Rock speakers and all.....
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

The back of the sub has RCA's for input from per amp and output to amp? Would it therefore make sense that the mono rca signal from the received goes to the RCA's input side and then output to the amp and connect the speakers to the amp????

I connected via headphone jack and no dice sound was horrible.and muffled....

I'm thinking to bring it inside and power my B&W 602's using my Marantaz system. It appears to has monitor and preamp outs. What cha think?
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I found it, box and instructions. It's described as an impedence matching device, basically turns the receiver into a pre-amp.

Check it out, there are some on ebay, make me an offer if you are interested. It's a Carver Model Z-1.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:35 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dyazdani
You can use one of the tape loops to feed the amp if the receiver doesn't have any per-outs not shown in your picture. Keep the mono for the sub.

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
Little extra power to the speakers. Look is like I may use the headphone jack to power them. Tape jack does not allow for volume control.
Headphone jack is typically 200 mv out and you need 500-1000mv to drive an amp.
Using tape loops is full gain. It's not variable.

[QUOTE=Tonydec;10646491]I found it, box and instructions. It's described as an impedance matching device, basically turns the receiver into a pre-amp.

These change speaker level output to line level output so it behaves like a preamp.
Plugs into the speaker output of your receiver and the other end will be RCA jack. They work but it's not hi fidelity if that's what your looking for. This is essentially whats built into powered subs for those older receivrs that don't have a sub out jack.

These are very common in the car audio world when people want to add sub amps to am OEM system.
There are literally dozens available an on line.
Search speaker to line level converter.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 AM
kellymartin612
Advanced

I think you should start with a basic setup that you can upgrade. your talking about pre-amplifiers and power amplifiers when you probably haven't even mounted a speaker on a stand before. it sounds like your new to this so I suggest you read some material.

Quick Reply: connecting a receiver to an amplifier