Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Trying to buy a Blaupnkt Toronto 420 BT.... anyone know dealer whom sells blaupunkt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trying to buy a Blaupnkt Toronto 420 BT.... anyone know dealer whom sells blaupunkt?

I have ordered one from amazon but it said the product is not available....blaupunkt in Germany said its been out for 6 weeks (they sent me an email) But i cant seem to find any blaupunkt dealers...

anyone know where I can order a Toronto BT 420 by Blaupunkt stereo?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Blaupunkt are a pain like that. I have had a look here in NZ and can't find one.
I recently went through this and ended up buying a Becker Gran Prix. Amazing head unit but also hard to find.
I know the guy in Germany I got mine from still had one when I last looked. If you want his details let me know.
The becker is a seriously high quality unit, and still made in Germany, unlike Blau.
Cheers
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM
MSW-986
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't Blaupunkt themselves tell you who they have for dealers in T.O?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tried

i have tried by they were no help

Originally Posted by MSW-986
Couldn't Blaupunkt themselves tell you who they have for dealers in T.O?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

One on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLAUPUNKT-TO...91b6b6&vxp=mtr

I bought a Toronto 410 about a year back from ebay for ~$200 shipped, been very happy with it. I did need to install the external mic on the steering column though, BT clarity is very good as a result.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.shimstech.com/

They are in Canada and I got mine there.

phil.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Amazon now has the Blaupunkt 420BT on line, decent price as well. ($135, free prime shipping).

Just ordered one to replace the CDR23 in my '03 996, along with the Blaupunkt EMA 455 amp.

Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT

Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

pfbz - hope you are going to change out the speakers. If you have the Bose system the speakers are 2 ohms, and I doubt the amp you ordered can handle the 2ohm speakers at its output. Do yourself a favor and look into it, before you change out.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I don't have the Bose system. Base audio, no amp, no door speakers, nothing but the original 4.5" speakers in the dash and sides of rear seats. Really pitiful speakers... paper cones, foam surrounds, very light magnets, not even a whizzer cone. 4-ohm

So yes, I'm changing the speakers...

I'll probably try a few different setups, but Best Buy had some Polk 4" plate speakers on sale for $70/pr last week so I picked up a pair and cut/fit them into the stock grills.

I'm going to post the stereo/speaker install in a seperate thread, but here's a few shots of the speaker mod.

Stock speaker:
(rear on left, front on right. Fronts have identical drivers but slightly different grills which angled the speaker cones towards the cabin)

Polk 460P, trimmed and installed on stock grille.

Completed, looks 100% OEM.
Fit fine in the dash. Even reused the Porsche speaker connector.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just bought a Toronto 410BT (which I guess is an earlier model, though I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between the 410 and the 420) from Crutchfield. I installed it in my 964 Turbo. Looks like it belongs in the car, and works quite well.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Quick update on the Blaupunkt 420 BT.

I purchased one from Amazon, $135 with free 2-day shipping (price is now listed slightly higher at $150).
It's a nice unit, with full bluetooth streaming audio, bluetooth phone, two USB ports, etc.

It has a german like design, fairly simple looking with two ***** and looked appropriate in my 996. It did have blue lighting instead of amber. As you might expect, it is made in China.

Sound quality was good, bluetooth worked well both streaming and phone, the usb worked fine on ipods and an iphone4.

It had a fatal flaw for me, however. I am using an iPad mini for navigation, pandora, slacker, etc. and the Blaupunkt will not connect to an iPad mini through USB (and I assume won't connect usb to an iphone5 either). Probably a firmware issue, might eventually get fixed, but it was a deal-breaker for me.

I replaced it with a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS for $195 shipped. This is a new Pioneer unit that has two rear USB connections that work perfectly with all the apple devices i've tested, including connecting and properly charging the iPad mini.

It has bluetooth (streaming and phone), HD radio and the ability to control Pandora directly from the head unit if desired. Six pre-amp outs if I want to add amplification, but honestly it sounds pretty good without. I wasn't really looking for amazing high fidelity, rather a modern deck that I could use as a bluetooth phone system and connect/stream iMusic to. Plus my non-bose Becker system *really* sounded terrible. I thought it was the speakers, but after swapping decks, it's the head unit that is the root of my previous audio evil...

The Pioneer looks a bit better than most aftermarket decks in my opinion, a bit simpler with a single, larger volume **** and minimal amounts of buttons. It also allows the buttons and display color to be custom set. I have it pretty close to the Porsche amber, but still tweaking the settings a bit. It also has the CD player slot (which I will never use) behind a flip down face which gives it a cleaner look.

It definitely has some "kiddie" features that I don't care for, like and a bunch of jumping/flashing display garbage, but fortunately you can turn it all off.

On a side note, I tested my iPad mini with many different decks at different shops... Some of my results:

iPad mini (and presumably iPhone 5) USB connectivity
  • Blaupunkt: No connect, no charge.
  • Alpine: Connect, no charge (checked at least six different alpines)
  • Kenwood: Mixed results... Some connected, some charged.
  • Pioneer: Connect & charge on all the newer units I tested.
  • Sony: Connect & charge, but a bit of flakyness in operation.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Jroman
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

$149 brand new w/ free supersaver shipping on amazon...seems like a pretty good deal
If your still looking
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
JanSpeed
1st Gear

I have a 1997 C2 with a CRD220 and a 6 disc changer. Does anyone know if:
- The CD Changer still work after installing Blaupunkt 420 BT?
- Is the console microphone good enough for hands-free calling, or is the additional microphone a must?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM
kellymartin612
Advanced

Quick Reply: Trying to buy a Blaupnkt Toronto 420 BT.... anyone know dealer whom sells blaupunkt?