Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Digital music storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Digital music storage

Yeah, I know, play vinyl...

My ancient CD changer is dead, and it's time to move away from that technology. Any comments on preferred ways to store and play back digital music. I've got a fair mount of stuff on iTunes, have enabled iTunes Match, and a house full of Apple computers, so I'm tempted to just rip all of my stuff to iTunes and store it on the cloud.

Comments? Pros, cons?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Big question is do you care about playback quality? The solutions will vary depending upon whether you don't mind mp3's/high compression rates or require CD quality as a base minimum.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Big question is do you care about playback quality? The solutions will vary depending upon whether you don't mind mp3's/high compression rates or require CD quality as a base minimum.
I want CD quality as a base minimum. Storage capacity and the cost associated with it are not an issue in my opinion, as disk drives and iCloud are cheap. IIRC, iCloud provides you with 256k on everything you load to the cloud regardless of the quality you have.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I want CD quality as a base minimum. Storage capacity and the cost associated with it are not an issue in my opinion, as disk drives and iCloud are cheap. IIRC, iCloud provides you with 256k on everything you load to the cloud regardless of the quality you have.
Then if you are using Mac-you will prob be using your computer/laptop or iPod for playback. In this case, you can buy a USB DAC to interface between laptop and preamp. Companies like Wavelength Audio:
http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/, make great USB DAC's and are very Mac friendly. You do not want to use the laptop output straight into your preamp. A good DAC set as the default output, with the right volume settings will minimize the affects of the poor gain stage and processor in your laptop.

If you want to use an iPod for playback, the Wadia doc is great, coupled to a DAC. That's at least my experience.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I sort of suspected a dedicated DAC would be in order.

So is this a sane way to go with digital content? I was once an audiophile, but migrated my interests towards stupid things like race cars and such. My entertainment system has been turned into home theatre, but in the future I'd like to move towards maybe a dedicated music setup. I want to get my music in order, and this seems like a logical way to go. Am I missing something?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Thanks, I sort of suspected a dedicated DAC would be in order.

So is this a sane way to go with digital content? I was once an audiophile, but migrated my interests towards stupid things like race cars and such. My entertainment system has been turned into home theatre, but in the future I'd like to move towards maybe a dedicated music setup. I want to get my music in order, and this seems like a logical way to go. Am I missing something?
Sounds like you're still an audiophile. I do not have home theater yet as my wife is not into it and I already used up my quota of space for 2 channel systems! I got sick of having drawers full of CD's, keeping them organized, etc. I rather fiddle with my vinyl in that regard. As far as digital content management, I am not totally up on all the gear but there are high end music servers out there for tall money, capable of managing HD (higher than CD quality) but with HD content still very limited, I see no point in going any further than your Mac for managing your 44k (typical CD sampling rate) recordings. If you get a good DAC, set output properly on your computer and have a decent playback system, you will be happy with the results. So no, I do not think your missing anything, just make sure you back up your music.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I ripped all of my CD's to WAV files on my server which is then played through my stereo via my PS3.

Very simple using a free app called PS3 Media Server - not sure if there is a MAC version.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have almost 100 gig of MP3's that I have collected over almost 15 years - 70,000+ songs. I keep it backed up in a RAID protected server. I also have a second off site server I sync the two drives together at every quarter or so. Hard drives are mechanical and WILL fail at some point.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Ok, I went the Apple route. I've ripped all of my CD's to an NAS on my home network, and then uploaded them to iCloud using the iTunes Match service. Then I got an Apple TV, and installed it in my home theater setup. The Apple TV streams the music from the cloud, and I don't have to worry about having any of the computers in the house up and running. Sound quality is very good, and what is particularly cool is that using the Apple Remote app on my iphone, I can navigate through my music library and select what I want to hear without being in front of the TV to view the output from the Apple TV.

As a side benefit, I've found the Apple TV to be very good at streaming video from the net. We have a subscription to Netflix instant, and we've watched several shows now using it through the device. Previously, I've streamed Netflix through a BluRay player, and through a Roku box. Both had issues with network performance, often having to stop and adjust video resolution. The Apple device is working flawlessly, providing a good quality HD picture.

Now on to getting music to the patio...
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a question for the experts out there: How can someone save CDs in their original or better format on a mass storage unit, I would think a large solid state or convention portable hard drive for access and play back through the USB port on the new Panameras and cayennes. iPod functionality with titles, artists, selectivity, on the touch screen but with WAV quality sound?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SONUS with RDIO - Second to none.. and you get to save music images to iphones as well..
Audio in most cases is above avg in compression in some cases 384K bit rate..

check it out.. I have it in both homes..love it
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Matt, thanks for your reply. I think I should explain a bit better what I think I am looking for. I want a portable hard drive that will be powered by the USB interface in the Panamera and Cayenne, that will act just like an iPod but play WAV format music. I would want to be able to access the files and folders through the touch screen on the PCM and see the names of the artists, titles of songs and playlist names. The portable hard drive will sit in the console just like the iPod is designed to do. Essentially I want complete iPod-like functionality but be able to play uncompressed CD format music through the audio system. Oh and as long as I am asking for the world would want to store 5000 titles in WAV form. Thanks so much for your thoughts. It appears that the item you suggested is more for the home situation. I am looking for a mobile one. Doug
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
mzn50
Racer

Ah Sorry Doug.. miss understood !
What I did was added a USB hub for my 911 with the USB option..
This allowed me to put on my iphone 64BG of music and 32GB USB and ability to select simultaneously without having to switch..

I would worry what MAX size usb drive you can add .. Uncompressed music will take up lots of space.. I recommend 256K or max 384K bit rate.. Id be shocked if you could hear the difference compared to 1140K uncompressed wav file.. keep us posted.. Im rather interested in what you come up with

BTW.. I posted a pic of my USB HUB.. the audio system in my 997.2 picks both systems up... wish the cable was a tad Longer.. maybe an extension cable would work ?!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Thanks Matt, the search goes on! Where are the pix you mentioned? All I see are pictures of your beautiful car!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
mzn50
Racer

Originally Posted by YRUNVS
Thanks Matt, the search goes on! Where are the pix you mentioned? All I see are pictures of your beautiful car!

Here you go

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post9063998

Thx

Quick Reply: Digital music storage