Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Sony 55 LED TVs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I recently purchased a 55" Sony KDL 55HX 729 after reading numerous reviews and researching options. The 729 series is 240hZ, 3D, built-Wi-Fi, and has the better ProMotion 480 processor. All I can say is WOW. It's not in the XRB series which I think is overpriced, but shares most of it's components. I liked it so much I bought the same model in 46" for our other house and last week.

What blows me away is the Sony store was selling both of these last week with free shipping for less than any online or big box retailer. They had the 55" for $1369 ( I paid $1769 a month ago) and the 46" for $999 which was a smoking deal which I bought.

Sony Store

Either one has the best picture I've ever had. I watched the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on AMC in 1080i and could not believe what I had been missing with my last 51" HD Hitachi unit.

I didn't need the Gorilla Glass as the TV's are both wall mounted and the NX series specs were lower on the internal components and the XRB series didn't really look as good to me on the wall of the AV room at Best Buy.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. We plan to go with some type of universal remote as we might go with a Denon or Marantz receiver (about 100 watts per channel), so not everything will be the same brand.

I've been to a few small AV stores, to see what they have for in wall speakers. I know book shelf or enclosed speakers sound better but the house is already wired for an in wall & ceiling set up and my wife likes the idea of speaker that are not taking up space in the room.

One place suggested Polk (which I've heard of but never owned). Another place suggested Speakercraft (which I've never heard of). Any other suggestions? Just looking for something good it doesn't have to be really fancy (not planning on B&W level stuff). We mostly watch some movies and a little TV. It be nice to have a decent set up if we have friends over to watch TV or a movie.

thanks and best regards,
Dino
Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm a fan of the Energy speaker systems.

You can see two of them mounted on the wall on either side of my TV.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi Randy,

Nice looking set up and thanks for the suggestion. I don't think Energy makes an in wall speaker system (at least not based on my brief search of their products).

I'm still in the research phase on speakers and subs so I have time.

Thanks,
Dino
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Not really.

There are many outstanding uiniversal remotes out there.

As the OP has his processors in a separate closet he will want a remote with an IR expander capability so that he can control components without line-of-sight.

I have the Harmony 1100 (previously had the Harmony 1000 for 10 years) with IR extender and highly recommend it for ease of setup and ease of use.
Well sure you could throw even more money at it but if you used a sony amp it will be controlled via HDMI and so can be hidden, as will Bluray, and you won't need IR extender or cabling for that . You will need to run HDMI anyway. You could even go a PS3(instead of bluray) and still use the one remote as PS3 game controllers use Bluetooth, and PS3 can be controlled via HDMI too.

I used a cpl of harmony remotes for years (and loved them for my multi branded system) but have to say, I prefer the simplicity of using the ordinary TV remote for everything.

An ES series amp is as good(or better) as most amps around same price point (IMO), and we use them at work with B&W speakers, as we sell them too, and amps are up for it. Anyway just saying you shouldn't right them off because you think Sony doesn't do decent audio gear, as they do, and the one remote leaves the programming hassles/out of sequence issues, of the Harmony for dead. Keeps it simple and cheaper too
peace
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hi Randy,

Nice looking set up and thanks for the suggestion. I don't think Energy makes an in wall speaker system (at least not based on my brief search of their products).

I'm still in the research phase on speakers and subs so I have time.

Thanks,
Dino
There are numerous in wall and surface mounted speakers available. It all depends on budget, you can spend from $100 to many thousands on a single in wall speaker. Once you narrow it down there are many good deals to be had on used equipment at a fraction of the cost new on Audiogon.

Have you decided to go with a surround system? I used to say stay away from 7.1 but now that they are releasing most new movies in 7.1 it is worth considering if your room is big enough.

You can even go with ceiling mounted speakers if you are limited on wall space however they will only sound correct if you are sitting the proper distance away.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobalt
There are numerous in wall and surface mounted speakers available. It all depends on budget, you can spend from $100 to many thousands on a single in wall speaker. Once you narrow it down there are many good deals to be had on used equipment at a fraction of the cost new on Audiogon.

Have you decided to go with a surround system? I used to say stay away from 7.1 but now that they are releasing most new movies in 7.1 it is worth considering if your room is big enough.

You can even go with ceiling mounted speakers if you are limited on wall space however they will only sound correct if you are sitting the proper distance away.
Hi Cobalt,

The room is a good size but we are going with 5.1. The room already has the wiring for the speakers set into the walls and ceiling for 5.1. Besides the back of the living room is mostly open so yes the rears will have to be ceiling mounted rather than in wall.

We are probably just going to spend a few hundred per speaker and something more on the Sub. I have a relative that has B&W speaker that are several thousand per speaker & they have what look like littler microphones on top for the tweeters. But thats beyond our budget as we are already spending money on other things we are more interested in having, like a climate controlled garage.

Thanks for the suggestion as to where to look for equipment.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

We must have our priorities

Garage first. I am doing that now myself.

I was going to suggest Totem Tribe series in wall but they range between $900 & $1500 each. Imo just as good as the B & W at half the price. But there are many others to choose from.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hi Cobalt,

The room is a good size but we are going with 5.1. The room already has the wiring for the speakers set into the walls and ceiling for 5.1. Besides the back of the living room is mostly open so yes the rears will have to be ceiling mounted rather than in wall.

We are probably just going to spend a few hundred per speaker and something more on the Sub. I have a relative that has B&W speaker that are several thousand per speaker & they have what look like littler microphones on top for the tweeters. But thats beyond our budget as we are already spending money on other things we are more interested in having, like a climate controlled garage.

Thanks for the suggestion as to where to look for equipment.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi Cobalt,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to spend less than the Totem Tribe line, but I won't rule them out just yet.

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 AM
ggiindia
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!! i want to got it.

Quick Reply: Sony 55 LED TVs