Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012

Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And despite the fact that all the record companies have to do at this point to bring music to the customers is hand a file over to iTunes, they'll still cry about not being able to make money.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I'll keep buying physical media, which I greatly prefer, including CDs for my AMR CD-77.1 CD player.
That is a pretty good CD player but the hi res stuff sounds better. A bigger sample is a bigger sample. I have an esoteric X03SE that I will keep (i have a lot of cd's) but I am looking forward to additional hi res stuff being available.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
HD downloads is better than vinyl IMO, has all the positives with better resolution and lower noise, nothing like 16/44. This is good news , we will be able to purchase our favorite artist at the higher 24/192 format...
I have been listening to a decent amount of 24/192 lately and I have to admit it is a measurable improvement although I honestly don't like the format. Very good at reproducing those deep rolling lows but still doesn't quite have me sold. For me half the enjoyment is the interaction with the music and vinyl still wins hands down I even prefer to load a CD over pulling up a play list. Most of my vinyl is CD quiet and I enjoy shopping and then listening to my latest acquisitions.

I recently upgraded my Pre from A Shindo Aurieges to a Shindo Masseto and everything sounds fantastic through this unit but for some reason vinyl just brings out that extra emotion from my system. The sound is there with the 24/192 but no matter how hard I try to give into it the subtle nuances still seem to be lacking ever so slightly and that is what makes the emotional attachment to vinyl for me. I guess I will have to give in eventually but with more vinyl released and local stores carrying it I might just have stick with what i like best and keep searching for those rare original pressings that sounded so good so many years before all of this technology.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I recently upgraded my Pre from A Shindo Aurieges to a Shindo Masseto
Mmmmm...Shindo. You and Art Dudley!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have been listening to a decent amount of 24/192 lately and I have to admit it is a measurable improvement although I honestly don't like the format. Very good at reproducing those deep rolling lows but still doesn't quite have me sold. For me half the enjoyment is the interaction with the music and vinyl still wins hands down I even prefer to load a CD over pulling up a play list. Most of my vinyl is CD quiet and I enjoy shopping and then listening to my latest acquisitions.

I recently upgraded my Pre from A Shindo Aurieges to a Shindo Masseto and everything sounds fantastic through this unit but for some reason vinyl just brings out that extra emotion from my system. The sound is there with the 24/192 but no matter how hard I try to give into it the subtle nuances still seem to be lacking ever so slightly and that is what makes the emotional attachment to vinyl for me. I guess I will have to give in eventually but with more vinyl released and local stores carrying it I might just have stick with what i like best and keep searching for those rare original pressings that sounded so good so many years before all of this technology.

There is no denying that about vinyl , if you are into vinyl , there is nothing more emotive than spinning a few LP's, the same with CD's vs HD downloads, i enjoy going over to my rack and pulling cd's vs a playlist, they all have there magic i suppose, crap i still play my R2R..

Sonics !

If just for sonics HD 24/192 wins hands down for me, i will say DAC quality is very important , setup is not plug and play , no different than say setting up analog or your reference cd system, get it right and it's glorious...

Classical is where it excels ....... absolutely fantastic !

Last edited by A.Wayne; 11-25-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012