Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Just bought some new speakers

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just bought some new speakers

I managed to do a good deal with the importer here on some new Monitor Audio PL300's finished in the most amazing Ebony finish. They honestly look amazing. 14 coats of laquer and they are mirror like.
I'm using a Meredian G57 power amp and HK 760 reciever as the pre amp. I know that's not what a real audiophile would do BUT, it still sounds freaky good.

My main source is the Linn Unidisc SC.

They are a bit on the bright side but they need running in. I'm using some NZ made Slinkylink Biwire cables and they might be making them bright. But the sound stage easily equals or dear i say better, my Martin Logans. I have had hundreds of speakers in my house and none of them have been this good.
Playing SACD's is the best I have heard. Even the remastered Beetles CD is aweosme.
A couple of songs made the hair on my neck stand up. Hey Jude and Here comes the sun. Usually a remastered CD is nothing more than a new case, but this album is stunning.

I have some pretty good cables at the shop so will make some up. Possibly something from AQ to see what they do for the brightness. These speakers use a new ribbon tweeter and they are pin point accurate sounding.

These things weigh something like 55 kilo's so moving them is a mission. Beautifully made speakers. It's great finding all the old CD's are still good to listen to.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have tile, take off the spikes, this will allow you to slide them around for best positioning. If the speakers continue to sound bright after break in , you can treat the room and play with the toe, less reduces the effect ..
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

You might consider using jumpers instead of bi-wiring. I rarely found a setup where Bi-wiring was a benefit. Don't know anything about the speakers but they look nice. My Dali's in my surround sound have a finish like that just be careful and wear gloves when handling they mar easily.

Last edited by cobalt; 10-06-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
just be careful and wear gloves when handling they mar easily.
Then turn in your Man Card.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Then turn in your Man Card.
Really Randy!!!

Spend $19k on speakers and I don't know about you but I would take care of them. If you go to sell stuff like this scratches, marks and marring of the surface finish kills their value. Being smart has nothing to do with masculinity.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Well a month on and some positioning playing and these speakers are near perfect. They are not bright anymore and the bass goe's soooo low. I am really loving the sound these speakers produce. Just amazing!
The best sound is about 1/2 meter from the back wall and in about 2m from the side walls.
Playing with the positioning was well worth the hassle.
Loving them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought some new speakers