Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Old VHS to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 AM
abadai
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old VHS to DVD

Is anyone aware of a combo unit that will copy VHS protected tapes to DVD? I OWN many old tapes that I want to preserve onto DVD - and most combo recorders can't get past the VHS tape (Macrovision?) copy protection. I'm not doing anything illegal - I purchased ALL of these VHS tapes want to make a copy for myself.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

My question is 'why bother'?

VHS is far from hi-def.

Unless the VHS is something obscure that is NLA in DVD format, it seems like a waste of time and money.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

You have two posts, this one and another identical thread you started asking the same question about a month ago...

In case you didn't know, this is actually a car forum, not a dedicated audio/video forum. You might have better luck elsewhere with this question. Try the AV Sciences forum for DVD recorders for instance:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

I'd start by searching that forum, and if you can't find what you need, post the same question there and hopefully someone can help you better than we can.

And Randy's right. Rather than wasting time, money and blank DVDs, get a subscription to netflix and get your movies there.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
mexanoid
2nd Gear

To the best of my knowledge (I'm still learning too), the protection is on the tape and the DVD recorder senses the protetction and refuses to copy it.
Now, the trick is to get something (GREX video stabilizer- call it what you will) in between the video output of the VCR and the video input of the DVD. I have one ordered. You need to make sure that the combo unit has the ability to output and input via an aux port OUTSIDE of the unit and DO NOT use dubbing. Dubbing does all the copying internally and then you cannot defeat the "protection reading" by the DVD recorder. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
...In case you didn't know, this is actually a car forum, not a dedicated audio/video forum....

Though reading some of the OT threads I sometimes wonder.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 AM
mexanoid
2nd Gear

This problem is solved for a long time
I can recommend one firm which can solve it. I have found here such site http://xdimax.com/grex/grex.html.
They have a device - GREX, I heard that with its help it is possible to block protection DVD and satellite tv-channels and to write down transfers on the dvd. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Abadai and Mexanoid --

What is your favorite Porsche and why?

Just curious.