Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

2002 Carrera head unit install mystery...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Carrera head unit install mystery...

I installed a Clarion single DIN head unit to replace the stock CD-220 in my car which had seen better days.

It worked fine, both in terms of the radio and iPod adapter. The problem is, every time I turned off the car, it would lose the pre-sets and any settings I entered. Then, after a few uses it would stop taking commands altogether (although it would still light up and beep when I hit buttons).

After the first install, Crutchfield was kind enough to send me a new unit. Put that in, same result. I'm using the VW/Audi 70-1787 wiring harness.

Clearly, there is an issue with the power connection. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can trouble shoot and correct the problem? Unfortunately, Crutchfield does not have the 996 system fully mapped out like they do for many other cars, so they aren't much help.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 AM
scott cairncross
6th Gear

the harness has 2 wires that are backwards.... You need to swap the red and yellow wires as vw is different than porsche. the yellow wire is actually accessory and the red wire is constant...

Scott La Jolla Audio

Quick Reply: 2002 Carrera head unit install mystery...