Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Turntable question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreek155
I can honestly say all the mods I ever did to a 1200 were for my Pro Sound customers , I always gave them modular interconnects and of course they all wanted Stanton 680EL cartridges . The table is built like a tank , so with the right arm , cartridge and tweaks I could see it becoming a formidable piece of gear .
I have rewired the tonearm, installed a fluid damper, installed an improved bearing, made the strobe light defeatable, put a copper mat down under the new mat, replaced the stock feet with spikes, and have a Lyra cart on it at the moment, it sounds amazing, and is 100% speed stable to boot.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hacker...does the receiver have a phono input? If so I would guess the gain is suitable for a MM or HIGH output MC. Make sure that the tracking is set properly and head weight ( with arm weight) so as not to damage your vinyl collection. For tracking force you will need a Gauge. Shure makes a good cheap one thats easy to use. Shure SFG-2 thats about $20 or so. Its good to have one so you can adjust periodically. There is probably a tonearm alignment pattern or rig you can download and print off for your TT and arm combo to get the alignment right. It will be special for your table and arm. It will lay on the platter as a record would and have a point to rest your stylus on. This will tell you how to shorten or lengthen the arm projection. Then you can eyeball the azimuth ( lean ) . I use a straw or Popsicle sick laid across the head on the tonearm so you can see if the stylus in 90 degrees to the platter. If your TT has VTA adjustment then that too can be eyeballed. VTA to lower of raise the tone arm pivot point and get the arm to track level or parallel to the record.

If this all is not news to you I apologize. Better safe than sorry. There is alot more to setting a TT up then screwing a cart to the head stock. And again...this is not only to sound good but save your collection from destruction over a Very short time frame.

I have a brand new never opened MM cart I bought a year ago I never installed or even opened. If you want info on it PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIHn2g0398 is a video that may help. Its a different TT and arm but the principals are the same.

Last edited by Dean_Fuller; 04-26-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Music Hall Makes a really good turntable in the low end of the high end market. Get something decent, it will make all the difference in the world.
I wouldn't put a dime into what you have.

Last edited by buddy911t; 08-07-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM
trickymoreira
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Technics SL-1200 turntable is the broadcast & DJ standard (the Porsche of all turntables). Nothing beats it, but do you need it? I doubt it. The JVC you have is older (and probably a bit more durable that some that are out there in stores now), so my advice to you would be to buy a stylus and presto. It works. I don't think you'll have to do too much to the turntable...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can spend a small bank account on a cartridge. The better the cartride the less forgiving the turntable will be. Otherwords, the flaws in a TT will be expanded if you use a high end cartridge. In my opinion based on the TT you have, if you can get one the old Denon 103D ( i am dating myself) is by far a great cartridge as it relates to price vs performance. Even though this cartridge was discontinued, there are still a few around unused in the box. You just have to look. The only thing to keep in mind it is a low output moving coil. You may need a preamp if the output is below your systems capability.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

all time classic,just had mine restored,new wiring,headshell and cartridge sumiko blue point,
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Turntable question