Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

The chase for live and natural sound reproduction....pfffft

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by savowood
Alan (et al)

I wouldn't get into this discussion too deeply. It's not a discussion where you have any hope of swaying the person.

Yes, the MILO is a fantastic system. Meyer makes some amazing stuff for live and studio. I've been designing, installing, and touring with Meyer systems since the early 90s. My first choice in the studio is a pair of Meyer HD-1 monitors. And as you probably know, the 8" low range driver produces down to 32 Hz very accurately.

A quick and dirty resume...

5 gold records
6 films
7 world tours
500+ episodes of prime time network television

I've been around the business and made my mark. I've had this conversation too many times, and from experience, there's no chance you'll make a difference in this person's opinion.

The basic problem here is the proliferation of low quality systems. I love using the JBL Eon for just a loud, fill the space with sound, damn the quality, spend as little as possible type installation. The Mackie that looks just like it is also a good option. I think there's also an EV clone. The average club owner doesn't care about quality. They want loud. JBL does loud well. Meyer uses JBL drivers, although they're modified. JBL as anyone in the business can tell you is known as "Junky But Loud".

People like us who know how to make a good sound reinforcement system are horribly hamstrung by the lazy/cheap club owner who just gets the loudest cheapest thing they can afford.

So, put the keyboard down and back away slowly. LOL
So, I've been to some shows in Austin and have a question since you are an expert.

Where do I go to in Austin (venue) that has the sound of a $500,000 audiophiles sound room?

Oh, and also, since you are in the biz. How do electric guitars sound unamplified compared to amplified?

Two simple questions.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trying for the live experience....

I have been in the high-end audio busines since the early 1970's (!!!!) and prior to that I was a PBS audio engineer and producer.
The goal of recreating the live experience is an elusive one, but fun.
The makings of geat sound:
1. Resolution: The ability to recreate very fine details.
2. Transparency: The lack of "system" imprint/sound.
3. Dynamics: Both Micro (fine) and major..the "contrast" between loud and soft.
4. Imaging: The ability to recreate the three dimensions of the performance.
5. Pace: The ability to recreate rhythm.
6. Accuracy: Trueness to the original sound/tone/pitch, etc.
7. Distortion & Noise: As little as possible.
8. Smiles and toe tapping: As much as possible.
I am sure others can add to this list.
I have gotten close to the live experience with my system (Wilson, Krell, Tara).

Last edited by 911Jeff; 01-29-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 PM
MDeBoard
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
So, I've been to some shows in Austin and have a question since you are an expert.

Where do I go to in Austin (venue) that has the sound of a $500,000 audiophiles sound room?

Oh, and also, since you are in the biz. How do electric guitars sound unamplified compared to amplified?

Two simple questions.
If a piano or acoustic guitar or female vocal or cello sounds correct then you're probably hearing what the engineer intended. Recreating the Ryman is not the point, obviously.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Huh, it appears to me that you came here for no reason but to start an argument...

and FYI, my bookshelf speakers go below 80Hz...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
my bookshelf speakers go below 80Hz...
I never said that.....you misread my original post (just as I expected most to do once you say loudspeaker).

Anyways, I have been ganged up on so obviously I am wrong.

Funny how Meyers get touted as the best in the loudspeaker arena and used by many of my favorite bands I've seen live over the years but the studio recordings sound better to me and match more of what I would think an audiophile wants to hear.

<<shrugs shoulders>>

Had fun guys, closing this thread....

Quick Reply: The chase for live and natural sound reproduction....pfffft