Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Back to life....Turntable and tape decks

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Back to life....Turntable and tape decks

I've revived an old friend for the vintage system in my den. I bought this Dual 701 back in the mid '70s and enjoyed it for 15 years until it's auto functions stopped being automatic (or worked at all), at which point I packed it away. This forum inspired me to get it out of storage. Long story short, I sent it to a guy, Bill Neumann, at fixmydual.com who specializes in repairing Dual tables. It came back a couple of days ago and is working like new. Good old fashioned German engineering! It now joins my AR table and the rest of my vintage gear.

BTW, an earlier thread about analog and tape decks motivated me to drag out and recondition my original Teac deck and an Akai that I inherited. There's something about the mechanical nature of these decks and turntables and handling tapes and vinyl, that adds to the whole experience of listening to music; more so than just slipping in a CD or loading an MP3 file. It's very satisfying that these 40 year old devices make such damn good sound!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-29-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Nice. I have an upgraded turntable (Clearaudio Ambient) but really miss the Revox B77 I used to own. Hope to find one cheap someday and bring it back to life.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idler wheel tables are making a comeback of some sorts. Some are throwing away mega bucks modern tables for Lenco's, swearing much better sonics .
They usually start with a stock table like this and then with mods make a Killa TT... supposedly bettering 20 K plus tables for 2-3 K..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenco-Goldring-L...item1c16bff19b

I need some 1/4 inch 2/4 track tapes for my teac , you wouldn't happen to have any masters would yah ....
Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Idler wheel tables are making a comeback of some sorts. Some are throwing away mega bucks modern tables for Lenco's, swearing much better sonics .
They usually start with a stock table like this and then with mods make a Killa TT... supposedly bettering 20 K plus tables for 2-3 K..
The 701 is a direct drive table with an electronically controlled DC motor (built in Hall effect devices) that spins at the record speed of 33 or 45rpm. The center portion of the platter (separate from the 6lb 10oz outer platter) is the rotor for the turntable's induction motor. As I understand it, this means there is really no "motor"; the platter itself rotates in the magnetic field, greatly reducing vibration.

It may not compare to audiophile tables, but for it's day, 1974, it was a pretty advanced piece of engineering and got great reviews from Julian Hirsch and others. I like it because I've owned it since new and it fits in with my other gear from the era. I've got my modern system for more critical listening; the vintage stuff gives me something to tinker with and it still sounds pretty good.

I need some 1/4 inch 2/4 track tapes for my teac , you wouldn't happen to have any masters would yah ....
Sorry. I have a few blank 25 year old TDK tapes that still seem in surprisingly good shape (no shedding) but I bought some new stuff from these guys if you really need some. They carry RMGI from the Netherlands which I believe is just about the last company making open reel audio tape.

http://www.gearbrat.com/product-p/rm...pr35-34511.htm

http://www.rmgi-usa.com/index.html

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-31-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice Table. I have a heavily modded Technics SL1200 DD myself.

Also, did I notice a kit built tube amp, possibly a Dynaco in one of those pics?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by DrJay

Also, did I notice a kit built tube amp, possibly a Dynaco in one of those pics?
Thanks. The Technics was/is a very popular table. What mods have you done?

Yeah, the amp is an ST-120 by Bob Latino, a modern upgrade of the Dynaco Stereo 70 design. It has a VTA pentode/triode driver board with larger custom power and output transformers good for 60 watts/ch RMS. I built mine from a kit. I also have an original Stereo 70, but it needs a lot of work, so I decided to spend my money on the new amp.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I am curious too to what mods you have done. I have one of these as I was going through old gear at my parents house I forgot I had.

I came across the SL1200 with a grado cartridge. Like new condition I don't recall owning it but I guess I purchased it new since it seems to have very little use. I also found a pair of OHM speakers, KEF original 101 monitors and a Nokia and NAD tape deck. I guess i bought more equipment than I remember over the years.

As far as old table sounding better than $20k new tables it is possible but i found the bearings and DC motors used today are far better sounding. Although these older tables are still a great bang for the buck.

good Luck with Dual. half the fun about this stuff is playing with it. I think i am going to have to pull my Tandberg 10X out of storage. RR's just look so cool.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am curious too to what mods you have done. I have one of these as I was going through old gear at my parents house I forgot I had.

I came across the SL1200 with a grado cartridge. Like new condition I don't recall owning it but I guess I purchased it new since it seems to have very little use. I also found a pair of OHM speakers, KEF original 101 monitors and a Nokia and NAD tape deck. I guess i bought more equipment than I remember over the years.

As far as old table sounding better than $20k new tables it is possible but i found the bearings and DC motors used today are far better sounding. Although these older tables are still a great bang for the buck.

good Luck with Dual. half the fun about this stuff is playing with it. I think i am going to have to pull my Tandberg 10X out of storage. RR's just look so cool.
LOL.... dats a lot to forget ....must have been some good weed huh , Marley or Hendrix....
Old 11-01-2010, 05:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

One opinion:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html#ClA

LENCO L 75 IDLER-DRIVE "REFERENCE" TURNTABLE

(REBUILT BY JEAN NANTAIS)

This is the finest turntable I have ever heard. Now I've heard countless turntables in the last 40+ years, in my own system as well as in private homes, showrooms and at audio shows, but none of them can match this turntable in its overall cumulative strengths. While it was inevitable that I would eventually discover a turntable to outperform my personal reference of more than 17 years, the Forsell, what is amazing is that this new reference uses a technology (and actual model!) from more than 4 decades ago. Adding to the mystery is that fact that I had long felt this approach was obsolete (based on my actual experiences of the past, and not just simple "theory").

Accordingly, I now feel I have a considerable amount of "investigating" and "explaining" to do, to both my readers and to myself. My immediate goal is to understand and describe the underlying basis of what I (and others) am hearing. I will then attempt to put all of this into a reality-based perspective that will be both helpful in finding a direction/strategy for future component choice while also providing a rational foundation for that direction and choice. Based on my previous history when experiencing something that was radically different, I feel the best approach is to first take a step back and start from the beginning, with a short review of My Turntable History.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

The mods to me SL1200 include buying it from KAB in New Jersey...

KAB rewires the tonearm with Cardas wire to an RCA Block on the back, adds a Fluid Damper to the tonearm, adds a strobe disabler, and an external power supply. Beyond that, I have replaced the bearing with an improved version, use a Herbies Way Excellent platter mat, and have replaced the stock feet with brass cones...

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

That's a very, very nice table. I'd love to see a blind test between that table and the overpriced ka-ka the reviewers and some audiophiles drool over. I'd bet money they wouldn't hear any difference or pick the Technics as superior.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt

KAB will modify your existing SL1200 as well, go to the link I gave and give Kevin a call, he's a very friendly, knowledgeable, and honest guy to work with.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George from MD
That's a very, very nice table. I'd love to see a blind test between that table and the overpriced ka-ka the reviewers and some audiophiles drool over. I'd bet money they wouldn't hear any difference or pick the Technics as superior.
The major thing the Technics has going for it is absolute speed stability.

Last edited by DrJay; 11-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

LOL.... dats a lot to forget ....must have been some good weed huh , Marley or Hendrix....
Nah I picked up all sorts of stuff over the years. I have this obsessive nature when I find something at a price that is hard to pass up I buy. Other things came along that were better so I put this stuff away without really using it. Just like the 2 B&O beomaster units I have one still new in boxes. The other was in my work office for years just for looks more than sound. I never use that office so it just sits there. Paid $250 for both complete brand new IIRC.
One opinion:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html#ClA

LENCO L 75 IDLER-DRIVE "REFERENCE" TURNTABLE
Interesting read. I was never a fan of idler tables. My fathers 1950's magnavox green eye radio with built in table is an idler design so it goes back. I had a Thorens I also did not like but either did he so maybe there is some merit. I also was never a fan of air bearings or arms. They did sound good but reliability was always a factor. Many good products have come and gone. I am pleased with what I have now. I am having a hard time finding any shortcomings and the price wasn't bad.

The mods to me SL1200 include buying it from KAB in New Jersey...

KAB rewires the tonearm with Cardas wire to an RCA Block on the back, adds a Fluid Damper to the tonearm, adds a strobe disabler, and an external power supply. Beyond that, I have replaced the bearing with an improved version, use a Herbies Way Excellent platter mat, and have replaced the stock feet with brass cones...

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/
Interesting improvements but I would say much needed. I am sure it sounds far better now.

Originally Posted by George from MD
There are so many factors that makes one sound better than another and many of them are subjective. You have a tendency to appreciate the sound your system creates and sometimes change is initially noticeable and your brain tells you it is better but not always after spending time listening. Many of today's tables have a far different sound than the older tables. What you are using and how you are listening to it will make a huge difference in opinion.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

I think it does sound much better than stock, and IMO just as good and at a much lower price, as the VPI Classic I demo'ed... The Technics was also noticeably more stable with regards to Wow and Flutter.

Quick Reply: Back to life....Turntable and tape decks