Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Recommendations for a set of powered speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Recommendations for a set of powered speakers?

I have a decent mid fi system (older Meridian/Adcom/Dynaudio) in my living room and like that setup. I am currently looking for a set of powered speakers. I would prefer just a good powered 2.0 setup. They will probably stay in the garage most of the time hooked up to iPod/TV when I'm hanging out in the garage. I want to be able to move them to desktop and listen to iTunes or whatever or my MacBook pro. Rarely I might want to take them somewhere else, so some portability is good. Not much chance to audition anything around here, so based on research here are some options:

- Aktimate Mini: maybe the best option. Remote, iPod dock, Creek and Spos components.

- Audioengine A5: Generally good reviews and slightly cheaper than Aktimate.

- Swans M200: Love the look of these - remind me of the Sonus Fabers I lust after so much.

Others

NHT M-00: probably not enough bottom end without a sub.

Adam A5/ Dynaudio MC15/etc: Too expensive.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

The AudioEngine line of powered speakers are some I see recommended quite often.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...AUDIO%20ENGINE

I have no experience with them however.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I would have suggested the ADAMs. But too pricey. I have a simple set of NAD 8100's that are dating back 20 years worked great for this type of application. Small big sounding can be used with or without power source with adjustable volume.

I might be interested in selling them but I would have to pull them out and check to see what condition they are in.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
bart1
Race Car

The NADs look interesting, but quite large. Definitely impedes the portability. Wonder how they sound compared to more modern tech?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAD-8100-Speakers-/320593760045

From the very few comments I have seen on Aktimate vs. Audioengine, people seem to prefer the AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
The NADs look interesting, but quite large. Definitely impedes the portability. Wonder how they sound compared to more modern tech?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAD-8100-Speakers-/320593760045

From the very few comments I have seen on Aktimate vs. Audioengine, people seem to prefer the AM.
OOps,

For some reason I remember the NAD's to be 8100's but looking at the picture they are not even close. The NAD's I have stand around 20" tall with a 1" tweeter and 5" mid bass sitting over a cover for controls for tone, volume, input selection. On the back they have both fixed and volume controlled RCA's and some other inputs I believe hi and low. I will look for them and post a picture.

Quite unique and I was told very rare. Not bad sounding and relatively portable.

BTW I found this thread on google. I didn't think member only section would show up on google.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

JBL or Genelec. I just spent a whole week out in LA for product demo's with our DW drums and we did a lot of these demo's in studio's. JBL and Genelec have some very nice powered monitors.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
bart1
Race Car

JBL has low and high end stuff, but aren't most Genelecs $1000+? I'll search again but am not wanting to spend $1k on these speakers, especially since they are probably intended for nearfield listening and that won't be what they are doing mostly. Also consider that they won't have a hifi source.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:41 PM
bart1
Race Car

Yeaaahhhh, so $1400 for some iPod speakers? Nah.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...le-_-G8030AXXX

Reminds me of this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/08/v...net-car-forum/
Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Bart go to your local music store and listen to some powered speakers... Let me know what town you are near and I can help you with a store
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why no use a PC speaker system. They are self powered, with subs and come in under 500 easily ...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by bart1
Bart you did not look hard enough....scroll down the Sam Ash Active Monitor page as there are plenty of powered speakers in your price range.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
Bart go to your local music store and listen to some powered speakers... Let me know what town you are near and I can help you with a store
I work in Tupelo, MS. Memphis is the biggest city near here, but I live closer to Birmingham, AL than Memphis.

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Why no use a PC speaker system. They are self powered, with subs and come in under 500 easily ...
Don't want subs.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Bart you did not look hard enough....scroll down the Sam Ash Active Monitor page as there are plenty of powered speakers in your price range.
Yep, there are lots in my price range, just trying to get the most for my money. The Aktimates seemed to be that. I am unsure how studio monitors compare for mostly listening that is not nearfield and don't have good source material.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a set of powered speakers?