Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Cool Pics of your gear...or gear you wished you had,

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cool Pics of your gear...or gear you wished you had,

Here is my Fisher X-100 and Fisher FM-50B tuner....I have REALLY gotten into the vintage thing the last decade or so.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Dean,

that's a scary photo for me. My dad has the same setup (on cherry wood) thrown away in a closet.

He used to run it with AR 3A's. Those gave way to the DQ10's and a SAE4000. I could go on forever.

I must look at my photos to post some of the DQ10's.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Well you can't argue with the build quality of some of the older equipment. I was recently left a Fischer 400T I am looking forward to playing with.

I wish I had pictures of all the older equipment I sold off over the years. Still wish I had most of it. I especially loved the looks of my older Mac eq. The black glass and green lights are classic. I still have a C26 and 2505, techniques direct drive table, Kenwood tuner in storage along with 2 complete B&O Beocenters Can't recall which models. They are new in box and I paid pennies for them when they were discontinued. The design was amazing for the time. The old SAE amps were great with the LED lights, used to watch them move as the music played when I was younger. I hate to admit how much different equipment I have owned over the years, both stereo and HT.

I do love the looks of my new TT. One of the reasons I purchased it other than the sound. Looks fantastic very modern.

This is made entirely of Delrin AF Acetal POM Teflon. Has tremendous dampening and is vibration free. Unfortunately, this is an early picture before the reference base and other changes and before I could convince my wife that decorations were not allowed.

I posted a picture of my last Dynaco unit I sold off a few months back. Had 5 or 6 different units I built. Loved to build stereo eq when I was younger. This was one of their early SS amps which sounded quite nice considering. This unit like all my equipment was in almost new condition. Hated to see them go but can't keep it all. I still have the dual mono Hafler D200's. Even with the upgraded caps, mono configuration and rack mounts they don't seem to sell. Surprising since these were very nice amps for the money.
Attached Images    
Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This is fun! Nice Fisher's, Dean. I love the Vintage stuff too. And Cobalt, the TT is obviously a work of art in addition to being a top notch audio machine. Just beautiful!

I won't bother with pictures of my modern gear; just some nice stuff in a rack. The first pic is of old gear that I still have, my "boneyard". It includes the first preamp and amp I bought for myself, the Dynaco 120 amp and PAT 4 preamp. The Phase Linear 4000 was part of my original Quad system. Then there are the Hafler amps, the Lexicon pre/pro's which were quite spendy but now worth pennies on the dollar and the Carver tuner which still works great but for which I just don't have a place. (I use Pandora through the LD BluRay in my main system).

As a kid I sat and watched my Dad build this H.H. Scott LC-21 preamp back in the early '60's. Shortly after this pic was taken I restored it and replaced all the ceramic capacitors with Audiocap Theta's, replaced the filter capacitors, etc.

The AR3a's were also part of my original stereo and quad systems. After 40 years the foam woofer surrounds were shot so I replaced them along with the original crossover network caps and reconditioned the potentiometers. I kept one pair for myself and sold the other on e-bay for $1000.

I've owned the Teac tape deck since new. The electronics are good but the tape transport needs work. Reel brakes and motors were probably overworked handling the heavy 10" tape reels. I just installed the Akai deck in my vintage system. I was inspired by the other analog/dital thread and Itc's posts about tape and decided to drag it out. It was my Dad's deck which replaced his old Sony. I re-discovered boxes of my and his old recordings, including several blank top grade TDK tapes in excellent condition; a huge find given that open reel tape is rare and expensive these days.

Thanks to the forum for the opportunity to post this stuff; it was like a trip down memory lane!
Attached Images       
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
This is fun! Nice Fisher's, Dean. I love the Vintage stuff too. And Cobalt, the TT is obviously a work of art in addition to being a top notch audio machine. Just beautiful!

I won't bother with pictures of my modern gear; just some nice stuff in a rack. The first pic is of old gear that I still have, my "boneyard". It includes the first preamp and amp I bought for myself, the Dynaco 120 amp and PAT 4 preamp. The Phase Linear 4000 was part of my original Quad system. Then there are the Hafler amps, the Lexicon pre/pro's which were quite spendy but now worth pennies on the dollar and the Carver tuner which still works great but for which I just don't have a place. (I use Pandora through the LD BluRay in my main system).

As a kid I sat and watched my Dad build this H.H. Scott LC-21 preamp back in the early '60's. Shortly after this pic was taken I restored it and replaced all the ceramic capacitors with Audiocap Theta's, replaced the filter capacitors, etc.

The AR3a's were also part of my original stereo and quad systems. After 40 years the foam woofer surrounds were shot so I replaced them along with the original crossover network caps and reconditioned the potentiometers. I kept one pair for myself and sold the other on e-bay for $1000.

I've owned the Teac tape deck since new. The electronics are good but the tape transport needs work. Reel brakes and motors were probably overworked handling the heavy 10" tape reels. I just installed the Akai deck in my vintage system. I was inspired by the other analog/dital thread and Itc's posts about tape and decided to drag it out. It was my Dad's deck which replaced his old Sony. I re-discovered boxes of my and his old recordings, including several blank top grade TDK tapes in excellent condition; a huge find given that open reel tape is rare and expensive these days.

Thanks to the forum for the opportunity to post this stuff; it was like a trip down memory lane!
Very nice. There is something about reels that are just so special.

It looks like you have similar vintage eq to some of mine. My carvers which i sold not to long ago were the same style CT-7 & 1.0 and of course the haflers. Although yours are in pristine condition. The anodizing of the rack cover plates has discolored and i have no idea what they look like underneath. The Dynaco is always a classic. I just realized I have a bunch of Adcom stuff I forgot all about. Just like VPI and some others it was made around the corner from me.

Hopefully more people will post some pictures. Just wish I took more pictures before selling stuff.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Here is a pic of my McIntosh C-20 I had...sold about 4 years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Dean_Fuller
Drifting

Also a couple of my tunas...

top is a Scott 330-D am/fm. From the days that "stereo" was one channel AM and the other channel FM...you tuned at teh same time.

Bottom is a Scott 350-C that is rebuilt and really nice. It is true "stereo".
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...

A lot Mr Scott vintage era items here. I had gotten rid of most of my Vintage stuff over the last 5 yrs as i was not doing much listening to them anymore. Still have a few Sansui, Dynaco and Crown vintage era items, sold all my Mcintosh amplifiers about 5 yrs ago to make way for the Threshold amplifiers and preamp currently being used....

The Crown surprisingly still sounds good by today's standards , can't say that for the rest ( dynaco, sansui, kenwood) the Kenwood amplifier needs recapping as it is really hard sounding , well as all of them by now.

Crown :

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL...

A lot Mr Scott vintage era items here. I had gotten rid of most of my Vintage stuff over the last 5 yrs as i was not doing much listening to them anymore. Still have a few Sansui, Dynaco and Crown vintage era items, sold all my Mcintosh amplifiers about 5 yrs ago to make way for the Threshold amplifiers and preamp currently being used....

The Crown surprisingly still sounds good by today's standards , can't say that for the rest ( dynaco, sansui, kenwood) the Kenwood amplifier needs recapping as it is really hard sounding , well as all of them by now.

Crown :
Amazing how we seem to gravitate to similar equipment. I had the same Crown equipment at one time. Was thinking of selling it to a friend from HS many years back, so I was kind enough to lend it to him to demo it. Haven't seen or heard from him since.

IIRC it wasn't cheap new although I purchased mine second hand. Solidly built but far from fancy compared to many products of the time.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ohhh, Current wish list ... 2 Prs of these !!!!!

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I'll pass.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Although I think some of his designs are overrated these were nice in many ways.

There is a modified S-500 for sale on AG. Although it probably sounds great just doesn't do the same thing for me without the monster UV meter.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'll pass.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Although I think some of his designs are overrated these were nice in many ways.

There is a modified S-500 for sale on AG. Although it probably sounds great just doesn't do the same thing for me without the monster UV meter.

The Threshold stuff is far from overrated and is quite possibly still some of the best SS available even today ( I know we have and still do comparsions today)..

I was not fond of Pass F -series , but his new series rocks the boat and is really good stuff , Nelson is also tops as a designer and very , very helpful in the DIY community. Even today he will assist with advice on Threshold repairs and upgrades. Genuinely modest and a pleasure to deal with ....

I currently have a pr of S500 and did see the one on AG. We recently did compare the S500 against a krell KSA200, Bel canto 500 mono blocs, Eagle 7a, Parasound Halo and the S500 wiped the slate clean ( speakers maggies 1.7 and 20.1).

I do intend to migrate to the monster VU meter bwoys , and of course do the same mods ( caps , fast rectifiers, et al ) waiting for my new ribbon speaker to replace the current hybrid one running on the s500's....

Those SA1's are still pricey and difficult to find ...............
Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The Threshold stuff is far from overrated and is quite possibly still some of the best SS available even today ( I know we have and still do comparsions today)..

I was not fond of Pass F -series , but his new series rocks the boat and is really good stuff , Nelson is also tops as a designer and very , very helpful in the DIY community. Even today he will assist with advice on Threshold repairs and upgrades. Genuinely modest and a pleasure to deal with ....

I currently have a pr of S500 and did see the one on AG. We recently did compare the S500 against a krell KSA200, Bel canto 500 mono blocs, Eagle 7a, Parasound Halo and the S500 wiped the slate clean ( speakers maggies 1.7 and 20.1).

I do intend to migrate to the monster VU meter bwoys , and of course do the same mods ( caps , fast rectifiers, et al ) waiting for my new ribbon speaker to replace the current hybrid one running on the s500's....

Those SA1's are still pricey and difficult to find ...............
I was trying to make a pun. I'll PASS ... Nelson Pass ha ha. Oh well.

I didn't say that the SA-1's were overrated I like them and would love a pair myself although far more than my needs. The F series on the other hand.

I did like the Krell KSA250 but again well beyond my needs along with the A21. Then again I also enjoyed the Esoteric A-03 so long as it sits on a wooden block. I still prefer the accuphase for accuracy in SS for my ear I also have never had one give me an issue which is not always the case with some of these other names. At that level so much depends on what you are driving what cables you are using and so much more. I know you like the maggies which are great speakers but not one of my first choices primarily due to size. To each their own.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LOL.. yeah i know you were .....

I'm not that big a maggie fan, The Maggies are owned by friends, one in particular setup with the Bel Canto's sounds really good. I have another type of ribbon speakers with Dynamic drivers and yes huge ....

The Mag 1.7 Is absolutely one of the best audio bargains @1999.00, one should give them a listen if on a budget , aesthetics aside...

The realism and openness of planers work better for me than box speakers , but as you know to each there own, it's audio ....

Are you currently using tubes?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

ok, I'll play...

Here's my Garrard 401 with an air bearing arm in my small 2A3 SET system

And here is my Space Deck in my living room main system

And here is a shot of my Snell Type 1's in the main system along with the 6550 push pull (kit) amp used

I like to build the electronics. The turntables I bought used (hopefully with the Garrard you knew that!). And I'm partial to Snell's. I have some EIII's and K's too.

And yes, I have not bought any cables for I don't know how long. Make it myself.

Quick Reply: Cool Pics of your gear...or gear you wished you had,