Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

997.2 2011 PCM question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 12:26 PM
samiam21
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 997.2 2011 PCM question

Hi, new to the forum and new to me 997.2 Turbo S owner. I am trying to set up the PCM. Specifically, setting up Sirius XM and Bluetooth enabled media.
My issues: Sirius XM and Bluetooth media does not show up as options when you press the "Source" button. Is is possible that my PCM does not have XM radio or bluetooth media capability? The manual does not give any clues to suggest there is more than one version of the PCM (with BT/XM or without BT/XM). Moreover, the manual packet has XM radio literature and instructions. I am pretty familiar with PCM as it is a older version of what is in my Macan. I have paired my iphone via bluetooth with the PCM.

Lastly, if I connect my iphone to the PCM via the USB plug, all it does is charge the phone. It does not allow me to play media through the USB connection.

Suggestions please. TIA

UPDATE: I have searched and read several threads with people having similar issues. I have tried a few things mentioned in the threads to no success.

Last edited by samiam21; 12-29-2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-30-2021, 03:40 AM
uwsherm
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Entirely possible it doesn’t have those options. They were typical Porsche “$500 here, $1000 there” things on 997s.

Run your VIN through https://vinanalytics.com/

If it doesn’t show the options there, it’s not worth trying to add - it’s a contraption of controller boxes, software DRM in the PCM and, maybe, actual hardware in the PCM. If it does, the coding may be messed up and a dealer will have to fix it.

Also: PCM 3.0 cannot play Bluetooth media. It only has the handset (phone) profile. If you have the iPod interface (in the armrest), there are mildly-janky, but thankfully cheap options.

Last edited by uwsherm; 12-30-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:53 AM
samiam21
Advanced

Originally Posted by uwsherm
Entirely possible it doesn’t have those options. They were typical Porsche “$500 here, $1000 there” things on 997s.

Run your VIN through https://vinanalytics.com/

If it doesn’t show the options there, it’s not worth trying to add - it’s a contraption of controller boxes, software DRM in the PCM and, maybe, actual hardware in the PCM. If it does, the coding may be messed up and a dealer will have to fix it.

Also: PCM 3.0 cannot play Bluetooth media. It only has the handset (phone) profile. If you have the iPod interface (in the armrest), there are mildly-janky, but thankfully cheap options.
Thank you for the response. Quite helpful. Extremely helpful in respect to now I know to give up on trying to find XM radio and play media through Bluetooth. I ran the VIN and below are the options related to the PCM. XM Radio does not show up as an option. I will move on to finding a mildly-janky iPod interface.
870 Universal Audio Interface
619 Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
Old 01-01-2022, 03:16 AM
uwsherm
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the thing that I believe is still the preferred option:

https://www.viseeousa.com/products/p...od-integration

Janky: There has been an iOS bug for years that causes audio to skip when both that thing and the PCM phone functionality is connected at the same time. Maybe it’s been fixed and I think it’s never been an issue with Android phones. I gave up a while ago and plug my iPhone in (which works 100% for me but is also a bit of an ordeal because you need an actual Apple lightning to 40 pin adapter, and they’re discontinued).
Old 01-02-2022, 11:31 AM
samiam21
Advanced

Originally Posted by uwsherm
This is the thing that I believe is still the preferred option:

https://www.viseeousa.com/products/p...od-integration

Janky: There has been an iOS bug for years that causes audio to skip when both that thing and the PCM phone functionality is connected at the same time. Maybe it’s been fixed and I think it’s never been an issue with Android phones. I gave up a while ago and plug my iPhone in (which works 100% for me but is also a bit of an ordeal because you need an actual Apple lightning to 40 pin adapter, and they’re discontinued).
Great, good to know. Does the Bovee blue tooth device have any functionality advantages (PCM display or steering wheel controls) if you are streaming Sirius XM or Spotify content? Or does the functionality only work with an iPod or content downloaded onto the iphone? This question is directed in comparison to a generic bluetooth receiver plugged into the Aux. TIA
Old 01-25-2022, 06:41 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This is android 5. Current version is 10 so this may be fairly basic.

But it does have buttons, which is a big sell for those without steering wheel controls.

I have an android 9 unit that I painted Nissan grey for a perfect match. Works really well but no buttons.

search for ‘cheap android replacement’ on here and there is a huge thread all about them.

Rich

Quick Reply: 997.2 2011 PCM question