Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Audio and Video Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum-216/)
-   -   Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/1166469-upgraded-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-to-ssd.html)

808gtsguy 04-29-2024 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ozzythething (Post 19411475)
Hey! Either (1) your SSD ribbon cable is not seated properly or (2) your SSD has a bad sector and/or your drive was not cloned properly.

First check (1) it takes 15 minutes.
  • Pull the PCM fuse (refer to owner's manual)
  • Use 4 wooden kebab skewers to remove the 2 center air vents.
    • Look inside the vents with your phone light. You'll see holes for release tabs.
    • Insert a skewer into each hole, then lightly pull the bottom two skewers towards each other and the vent will pop very easily.
  • Undo the 4 bolts that hold the PCM in place
  • Lay a towel on your shifter column (to avoid scratching it)
  • You can pull the PCM out just enough to access the drive bay. The drive bay (and the drive) is held by 1 screw, undo it, remove the bay carefully.
  • Reseat the ribbon cable at both ends
  • Reverse the instructions. Press the air vents back in, you don't need the skewers to put them back

If this doesn't solve your issue PM me (you need 3 messages on the forum to send/receive private messages) and I can hook you up with a SSD+DVD package.

Let me know how it goes, good luck :)

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll try this later on tonight after work.

3rd message here so good to go on the pm route. :D

rang65 05-01-2024 10:13 PM

I cloned my pcm 3.1 hdd ver. 4.76 to a new ssd and the problems still there. it reboots every 5 minutes and the map won’t load. I guess my original disk files were corrupted. Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Where can I get a good cloned disk? Thanks in advance.

ozzythething 05-01-2024 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by rang65 (Post 19415802)
I cloned my pcm 3.1 hdd ver. 4.76 to a new ssd and the problems still there. it reboots every 5 minutes and the map won’t load. I guess my original disk files were corrupted. Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Where can I get a good cloned disk? Thanks in advance.

Hey! Sorry to hear. Sounds like a corrupted clone.

I have one more SSD+DVD kit left, PM if you want it.

sampietv 05-02-2024 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ozzythething (Post 19415807)
Hey! Sorry to hear. Sounds like a corrupted clone.

I have one more SSD+DVD kit left, PM if you want it.

not sure how to do a PM
i am interested in purchasing your last SSD + DVD kit. I have a 2014 Cayman S which is in perpetual reboot. Please advise if still available and how I can contact you
Thanks
Vince

ozzythething 05-02-2024 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by sampietv (Post 19416048)
not sure how to do a PM
i am interested in purchasing your last SSD + DVD kit. I have a 2014 Cayman S which is in perpetual reboot. Please advise if still available and how I can contact you
Thanks
Vince

Hey Vince, ordered more drives so it’s available.

How often are the reboots?

If it reboots immediately after it starts up & doesn’t stay up enough to play anything, it likely won’t be fixed with a drive, but you can still try to update firmware.

If it boots up fine, works for a minute or two and then reboots; then the SSD will help.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions :) (You need 3 posts to send/receive PMs)

Oz

sampietv 05-02-2024 01:29 AM

PCM 3.1 reboot

OZ,
The radio will startup OK and work for 2-3 minutes and then reboot. It will then work for another 3-3 minutes and then reboot again
can I provide my email address for direct contact with you?
Vince

dan_189 05-02-2024 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by rang65 (Post 19415802)

Run the update via USB rather than DVD if you have the USB port

rang65 05-02-2024 02:39 AM

Yes I m interested. I m learning how to PM. :)

rang65 05-02-2024 02:43 AM

I don’t see a usb port on the PCM although t there is an usb port in the glove compartment, would that work? and where can I get an update ?

ozzythething 05-02-2024 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by sampietv (Post 19416071)
OZ,
The radio will startup OK and work for 2-3 minutes and then reboot. It will then work for another 3-3 minutes and then reboot again
can I provide my email address for direct contact with you?
Vince

Hey Vince

I highly recommend against providing your email address in public here because the spam bots will eat it up :)

You can DM me your email address; that would be better..

Oz

offroadfun 05-02-2024 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ozzythething (Post 19405874)
Also; I think I’ve managed to make an IDE version of my one-drive-fits-all solution.

Is there anyone here with an IDE PCM, broken or functional?

Mine has an IDE drive that is currently working and would like to upgrade before it goes south.

ozzythething 05-02-2024 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rang65 (Post 19416124)
I don’t see a usb port on the PCM although t there is an usb port in the glove compartment, would that work? and where can I get an update ?

Hey,
Yes it's that port, and if you want I can send you a thumb drive preloaded with the update along with the SSD+DVD.
However, USB updates to the same version won't work as far as I know -- unless your PCM shows "emergency update mode".

Alternatively; you can create your own thumb drive as well: format a thumb drive then copy all the DVD contents into the thumb drive and that's it.
To format the thumb drive on a Mac, use Disk Utility Erase function, with Format: MS-DOS (FAT) and Partition Table: MBR.
On Windows use a regular format, with FAT32 as file system type.
On Linux open a shell and type mkfs.msdos -vF32 /dev/sd## where ## is the disk name and partition number; ex. /dev/sdc1

oimal 05-03-2024 12:11 PM

Hi @ozzythething I've sent you a PM, and I'm hoping it helps. The PCM in my 2014 Cayman S started rebooting every 3-4 minutes after I pulled it out of storage earlier this spring. I pulled the hard drive out, and did a backup/restore as image to a new SSD. That seems to have just copied the bad parts, and the PCM still reboots with the new SSD. I've actually completely pulled the PCM out of the car for now. It was draining the battery overnight. If I didn't drive the car for a couple of days, it was struggle to turn over and start. Now that it's out, no problem. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that kind of battery drain.

I'd be interested in getting one of your SSD and DVD combinations too. Thanks!!

sampietv 05-13-2024 08:31 PM

@ozzythething is a life saver. Oz sent me the new drive along with an update DVD. I had no issues with the install. It went extremely well on my 981 Cayman S. I had previously planned to have the dealer install a new PCM for $5-6K and I would file the claim for the lawsuit settlement. My concern was that it might take 1 to 2 years to actually receive my settlement. It was worth the reasonable fee to Oz to have the issue resolved quickly and not wait. Thanks again Oz!!!!